Fallen

Fallen

A Story by Chistie
"

Kennley's life isn't going good. Her husband, Oscar, makes her quit her job and beats the hell out of her. She thought this is just how it was going to be until she died until one night Oscar brought a friend over and she couldn't take it any more, she ra

"

 

                                Chapter One
 
      “Kennley!Kenneley!,” Oscar yelled as the car swerved in to the other lane of traffic; narrowly missing the ugly neon green sedan. The treacherous snake like roads that lead to the house are always a trap for some kind of accident besides the roads weren’t that wet but the tires on the Durango weren’t the greatest and I wasn’t paying as much attention as I should have been. I was thinking of the conversation that Oscar and I had earlier that day. Argument was a more accurate description of the “conversation” that I was referring to. My head was pounding and I couldn’t concentrate on much. I just wanted to get out of the truck and away from this man I call my husband. I can’t believe he would talk to me that way. Yelling at me for nothing at all, I just wanted to spend the day alone but he had to tag along. I couldn’t get anytime alone anymore; what with the kids and Oscar. Trying to get a job and living with 9 other people. I shouldn’t expect alone time but I was going to lose my mind if I didn’t get some. I rounded the last bend in the road that would take us in to the smallest town in the state of Washington. Cougar literally had like 150 people who lived here. There was a popular campsite/motel, a gas station that was too expensive and a bar and grill, and that’s it. You could walk across the town in a matter of 5 minutes. The town was surrounded by a beautiful forest and river. Nobody really went in to the woods though, not anymore at least. The last time someone went in to the forest, no one saw them again. The authorities sent search parties and volunteers searched for days but nothing was found of the hiker again; some people say that it was just wolves or bears but the people still didn’t go in to the woods. The police tried to convince everyone in town that there wasn’t anything to be afraid of but Cougar is a really small town and rumors started going around saying that it was a wild man or something. Just small town gossip; a scary story to tell the kids so they will stay out of the forest and safely in the yards.                       I loved it up here but it was starting to feel like I was trapped, with no way to escape the enclosing forest.
   “What’s wrong with you?” Oscar snapped at me, he must have noticed my preoccupation.
 “Nothing is wrong with me,” I couldn’t keep the antagonism from my voice.
 “Well if you can’t keep your eyes on the road then you can’t drive anymore,” Oscar was always trying to control me, though it never worked. It’s not like he has a license, or is on the insurance. He had already gotten pulled over once in town for going to fast. Thank god it was the older sheriff that knew our family and let him slide with a promise not to drive anymore.
   “That’s what I thought,” He sneered at me, taking my silence the wrong way. As if it was an agreement instead of mine thinking.
   I could see the gravel turn off to the house. The gravel road was full of pot holes so I was careful to slow down enough to just creep in to the driveway. Mostly to keep Oscar from screaming at me again but I tended to always hit my head on the door whenever I hit the road to fast. Embarrassing right? I couldn’t help but smile at myself as I thought about all the times I hit my head. I was such a ditz some time. Oscar catching my smile and once again taking it the wrong way started to yell at me again. What for, I have no idea!
 “What are you smiling for, you are not getting off that easy,” he taunted me.
I sobered up in a minute. I knew what awaited me tonight with no doubt in my mind. I thought quickly of reasons why he shouldn’t do what he was thinking of doing to me but knew that if I talked back he would make it ten times worse. I tried not to think of the awaiting torment that he would inflict on my body. He could never control my actions because I would never surrender that to him but that didn’t stop him from trying to beat it in to me.
 “I have a job interview tomorrow.” I tried weakly. It wasn’t an exact lie but I did have an interview tomorrow, an interview that he couldn’t attend.
 We were in front of the house now. The manufactured home was in bad repair. The roof leaked and the back yard was more of a cliff than anything. I couldn’t believe that the city hasn’t condemned the property. The home was supposed to be green but it was more the color of rusted grey and green. It wasn’t much but it was home to nine people, counting myself and Oscar. I used to love this place so much, coming up here in the summers; laying out in the front lawn. Now it was nothing but a reminder that I was about to receive a punishment for lingering on my thoughts instead of the road.
 “Well that’s just too bad now isn’t it, you should have thought about that before you almost hit a car because you’re retarded!” That word was tame considering his more colorful names for me but we were outside the Durango and his Aunt and Uncle were standing on the porch staring at us. I blushed for having them witness what he had said to me but it shouldn’t have bothered me so much; they’ve heard it all before.
   “How did the interview go?” His Aunt asked not bothering to comment on what had just been said.
    “Good I guess there was another girl there ahead of me and he seemed to like her,” I couldn’t help the wanting out of my voice. The more time I spent away from the loser husband the better. 
    “You probably didn’t get the job,” he mocked.
   “Why do you say that?” I asked more than a little hurt.
   “First off your fat, Secondly you have no talent, and lastly because you couldn’t impress a fly,” he tossed at me.
   “What is your problem today? Why can’t you just be happy for me?!” I just couldn’t believe that he was talking like this in front of his family. He usually held this kind of outburst for our bedroom.
    “Why do you want to go off and leave me here all alone? I guess you just don’t think about what I want though do you?!” He just stood there and glared but said no more; I stood there in an embarrassed silence. Oscar turned on his heel all of a sudden and stormed off to the back porch, probably just to get a beer. I slowly made my way in to the house and off to the bedroom that we shared with each other, not bothering to say hello to the people that I passed. I threw my purse and jacket down on the queen bed that took up the whole bedroom. We had the smallest room in the house because we didn’t have children and our only real possession was the bed.  I didn’t know what to do while I waited for Oscar to come in and deliver his punishment. I didn’t really want to think about it so I grabbed one of the many books that stacked the dresser. It was tattered and some of the pages were stained; only my favorite books looked this way and I felt kind of sad thinking of the way that they looked. I plopped down on the bed and waited for Oscar.
 I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew Oscar was standing over me. He must have seen my confusion, I just couldn’t think straight, because he laughed and whispered “You shouldn’t have fallen asleep because now it is going to last all that much longer. I let you sleep so I could think of a better punishment than just slapping you around.” I could hear the threat in his voice and had a good idea of what was to come. When he started to undo my pants I knew that I was right. What I didn’t expect was the other man that entered the room. I let out a small cry but that ended with a hard back hand from my ‘husband’. I couldn’t believe that he was going to do this; with tears springing to my light blue eyes I just couldn’t believe that he was going to allow another man to rape me. Oscar sensed my growing horror and laughed along with the other man. I couldn’t see the other man clearly but he had amazingly white teeth. Strange that I should notice his teeth in such a stressed and horrific situation; I laughed a little in my head at myself but sobered as the other man began to undress. I couldn’t do this; I couldn’t allow this stranger to have his hands all over me. I wouldn’t allow this; I wouldn’t let him put himself in me.
     “No, please don’t do this! Oscar PLEASE!” I couldn’t help pleading with him to stop this. Oscar stopped talking to the stranger and leaned over me; he had a sardonic smile on his face as he leaned over me and said “You deserve this! Today will be the last time that you ever disobey me again! You think you’re so damn special and you could do what ever you want? Huh?? I don’t think so, not my wife.” He was huffing with the effort of restraining his voice and when I looked at him again he rewarded my dubious look with a punch to the face. 
      With my face throbbing I tried to think of a way out of here; so as the two men talked about who would go first I refastened my pants and slowly grabbed my jacket. I slid off of the bed and tried to get to the door before they noticed. Unfortunately I was me and I was clumsy. As I slid off of the bed I bumped the dresser. The books that were stacked on the top came crashing to the floor. Oscar and the strange man wheeled on me, they swiftly realized what I was trying to do and lunged. Fortunately for me, Oscar was standing in front of the stranger and they both went to grab me; Oscar had the ability to use both of his arms but the stranger could only use one arm and it threw both men off balance. I was smaller then they and was able to quickly maneuver around the three muscular arms that threatened to wrap around my waist. I quickly got the door open and out in the hall way before Oscar was able to regain his balance and come after me. I didn’t know where to go or how I was going to get there. I didn’t have my purse or my car keys so I couldn’t drive the Durango. I wasn’t in that great of shape so I wouldn’t have the stamina to out run Oscar and the still strange man. But of the two options running was the only one open to me, so I ran as hard and as long as I could. I didn’t want to run on the road because Oscar would have the Durango but it was dark and I didn’t know the woods very well. I stopped at the end of the gravel road and looked over my options quickly. I could both run down the road and take the chance of Oscar running me over or I can could run through the woods blind and hopefully not run in to a tree and get knocked out. When I heard the Durango’s engine roar to life and thrown in to gear, my decision was made. I sprinted across the road and in to the oppressive dark of the forest. I could feel the fear leaking out and soaking my shirt with sweat. I ran as fast as I could and I slowly but surely heard the sounds of the familiar engine fade. I don’t know how long I ran or how far; I fell down a lot and I could feel that my hands were in pretty bad shape. My heart beat was trying to break out of my chest by the time that I stopped to catch my breath. My labored breathing and hammering heart beat were so loud that I didn’t hear the sounds of foot steps behind me. By the time I realized what was happening it was too late. A very large man had me around the shoulders in a bone crushing hug. That was the only way I could describe what he was doing to me. I kicked my feet and wiggled around in his arms but he was two times bigger than me and I soon realized that it was useless but I didn’t just want to give up. What if it was Oscar or the strange man with the oddly white teeth, or worse a wild man!?
     “Please don’t hurt me! Please!” I screamed with all my might. I hadn’t had time to catch my breath so it came out as nothing more than a rasp. “Please, please, please don’t hurt me!” I didn’t know what else to say except please; all he did was grunt with the effort to hold on to me.
    I knew that the existence of a wild man was astronomical but I still couldn’t help screaming and thrashing with all of my being. I thought I might be winning when one of his arms released me but then I felt pain ripple through my head. I thought that I was fighting back but as my world went black the last thing I remember was thinking thank god for the wild man.   

© 2008 Chistie


Author's Note

Chistie
This is my first attempt at writing a story so please use kind critism. This chapter has some adult content!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an extraordinary story! It moves so fast, leading the reader into Kennley's world, into her fears, into her wretchedness. The scene with the two men, husband and other.. is a nightmare... As to the end of this chapter, well, I just have to read what happens next.

Congratulations, you have an absolute winner here. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

People argue often, so the first thing that really caught my attention was the description of the town. It sounds a lot like the one where I went to school as a boy except for the bar. We lived in a dry county, so there wasn't a bar but there was a local cafe where the teens hung out at night, and the 150 people are a bit more than the number that lived in our fair city. The population sign said 75 or something like that. I thiink it probably was a bit more than that, but the size of the graduating class the year I graduated was only 10 people eight girls and two boys. I enjoyed your story very much.
Damon

Posted 15 Years Ago


Ok apparently my short term memory really really sucks because you did mention the abusive husbands name and in the time it took from me to finish reading and go to comment I had already forgotten lol. Such things happen I guess.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Definitely an excellent story and very catchy beginning. The only things I could suggest would be more detail and grammar. I say more detail because for one it paints a clearer picture for the reader and for two it fills in more space so the intensity lasts longer. For example, we don't know the abusive husband's name or even a descriptive idea of what he looks like. If you were to include these things it would leave the emotion of disgust and fear while your describing this man as if the reader was actually standing in his presence. Metaphors are excellent descriptors too...makes the object your describing seem a lot more then what it actually is. Then of course the grammar...this isn't necessarily something you have to do yourself but it helps to have someone who really gets into correct grammar look at your work. A lot of really good writers now a days seem to lack in the grammar department when they excel in the creative department...which is why I think the writing god created Editors lol. Great job though! On to the next chapter.

Posted 15 Years Ago


great write for a first go! i look forward to reading the next chapter.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. This chapter hooked me immediately. It's very well written and I already have a good feel for the characters. Good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this a lot. I hate Oscar though...something bad needs to happen to him eventually. As mostly everyone else has said, watch the formatting, grammar, etc. All in all its a great opening. Very suspenseful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ok so..... I must say that usually I shy away from long writting because some writers ( myself included ) lack the talent that you need to hold your readers attention. But I did'nt get that with your story. The story moved fast and kept my attention from the very beginning. I found myself lost in your tale and before I knew it ,the chapter was over. Leaving me ready to read the next. That is the result of some good writing. You set up the next chapter with some vicious drama (gang rape?) that is very demented. Very nice writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good beginning which leaves the reader wanting more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh my God, this is absolutely fantastic! I love the momentum it builds as you read; I just wanted to keep reading and find out what happens next! (If I had time I would, but I have to get offline in a few minutes...) This is definitely an excellent start to a story, with only a few grammatical and punctuation errors.☼

Posted 15 Years Ago


well i think you did a great job if you can keep me reading then you say you have done something good story bad but you did a great job writeing it so thank god for the wild man he turns into a hero i look forward to reading moor thank you

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 24, 2008

Author

Chistie
Chistie

Cougar, WA



About
I love to read! That is my favorite past time, after reading some stories written by people five years younger than me I decided to try it out. I was always good at writing but never really took that .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Chistie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..