Fallen Chapter Thirteen

Fallen Chapter Thirteen

A Story by Chistie

 

                  Chapter Thirteen
 
 “Wha….” Was all I could say before my world turned to black and I faded in to oblivion.
   Do you really think I care? Huh? Oscar was yelling. Again. I was cowering in the corner of our room. My side ached and my nose was bleeding. Please Oscar, I am so sorry I will not do it again. I had made spaghetti for dinner, forgetting that Oscar had asked for steak.
 Your damn right you won’t. You do as I say; he was coming after me again, this time with a leather belt, when I say it. If I say, I want steak you make steak. He swung the belt at me, cracking like the whip it was, striking me across the arms. Sharp, stinging pain ripped across my arms, I could feel the welts as they formed, wishing for nothing more than Oscar to pass out or leave the room, something just so he wasn’t here. I stood not sure where I was going, he struck out again. Crack! The belt came two more times before Oscar was suddenly asleep on the bed. At the time, I thought he had just passed out.
 I awoke with a scream, gasping for breath. I could not remember where I was, my nightmare was still fresh in my mind. When Cooper wrapped his arms around me, I screamed bunching my hands in to fists and swung. Not really caring who I hit. When my left fist connected with soft skin and I heard someone grunt in pain and feeling the crunching pain of breaking bones, I stopped. Falling closer to Cooper, finally realizing that it was him, I opened my eyes and saw Marcus rubbing his jaw.
 “Wow, I have never had a woman hit me like that.” His words were a little slurred and he was laughing.
 “Don’t be a baby Marcus.” Cooper was trying to repress a laugh.
 I did not think this was funny; Oscar was dead and I was being accused of murder. What was so funny about that?
   “I’m so sorry Marcus. I had this horrible dream, and then I couldn’t remember where I was.” My voice trailed off as I looked at those around me, they seemed amused.
 “What is so funny?”
 “Nobody has ever punched Marcus, we are just surprised, that’s all.” Cooper was really laughing now. I still did not see the joke but I could not help but laugh with the others. My hand pulsed with pain; I winced when Cooper took it and probed around my knuckles.
 “Her hand is broken; Alorha should be able to heal it for you.” Cooper kissed my cheek as he gave me back my hand.
 How could Alorha fix my hand, I needed a doctor not some hateful gossip. Cooper just smiled at me. Once again, I had forgotten about his ability to hear my thoughts.   
   “Okay, enough. Let’s begin the meeting.” Colby brought us all back earth with her soothe calm voice.
   Cooper helped me up and we followed Colby to the dining room. Toshia and Alorha were already sitting in their usual spots; not bothering to make sure I was okay.
 “Alorha will you please do the honors?” Colby was staring at her pointedly; she reluctantly stood and walked over to my side of the table.
 “Relax,” she grabbed my hand not trying to be gentle.
 I winced as her soft hands grazed over the broken bones; white light filling the room. When the light was gone, Alorha dropped my hand and walked quickly to her spot by Toshia.
 “Thank you Alorha.” I said, visibly in awe, as I adverted my eyes from her hateful gaze. I did not know how I was going to make her see that I did not want Marcus that she could have him, but I could not think about that now because Colby was reading from a newspaper article from Washington.
 “The Washington State Police discovered the body of one Oscar Smith, his neck was broken among other injuries,” I wanted Colby to stop, I felt sick to my stomach but she just kept going, “His body was found about a mile from his residence in Cougar, Washington.” Colby set the newspaper aside and stared at me with a serious expression, “Now Kennley, when you ran away from Oscar was he alive?”
 “Of course he was alive; he came after me in the Durango. I could never kill him; I just wanted to get away.” Tears stung the back of my eyes but I lifted my chin and resisted them; I would not cry for Oscar.
 “Okay Kennley, I’m sorry but this isn’t good. You should not go outside for a while. The police have set up a national wide woman hunt for you. Seems extreme for just one man but I think the Light has something to do with that.”
I shook my head in agreement but Marcus was shaking his head no.
 “She shouldn’t hide out. The more people see her the more she will look like a citizen, as if she belongs here. Maybe the community will just think it some crazy coincidence.” Marcus was sure in what he was saying but I had my doubts.
  “Marcus, she hasn’t been seen around town before; it will look suspicious if she suddenly appeared. No, I think it best if she stayed on the grounds, at least until this is all settled.” Colby had put her hand on the table as if that settled the matter and walked from the room, stopping all discussion.
   I could hear the TV turn on in the other room, noticing for the first time that Cooper, Marcus and I were the last ones in the dining room.
 “We could put a wig on her, and then she could go out and about.” Marcus was tapping his chin with his forefinger with a thoughtful expression on his handsome face.
 “Colby would never go for that.” Cooper was glaring at Marcus for even bringing up the idea.
 “What Colby doesn’t know won’t hurt her. Kennley can’t stay here forever, she’ll go crazy.” For the first time since I met Marcus, I was glad that he was there. He was right; I could not stay here forever. Just the week or so I have been here has been enough to drive me a little mad.
 “I don’t like this idea. What if something happens, she still can’t control her powers.” Cooper was talking about me as if I was not there.
 “Um, hello, I’m right here Cooper. I like Marcus’s idea. I am going a little bonkers here and maybe if we go out we can go to a movie or something. Something together.” Marcus was visibly uncomfortable and I got a mean satisfaction from is unease.
 “Okay, fine, you win. I will buy you a wig and a hat but I still don’t like this idea.” I gave Cooper a loving smile and pecked him on the cheek before heading up the stairs to rest, I had killer headache.

© 2008 Chistie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great, great, great.

Posted 15 Years Ago


LMAO! punch him again! lol.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I eagerly await the next chapter! This is a very enjoyable story!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 30, 2008

Author

Chistie
Chistie

Cougar, WA



About
I love to read! That is my favorite past time, after reading some stories written by people five years younger than me I decided to try it out. I was always good at writing but never really took that .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Chistie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..