Chapter 2: Daddy’s Little Girl

Chapter 2: Daddy’s Little Girl

A Chapter by scarlettlovesrhett

The bombs went off one after another as the smell of death lingered in the air. People could be heard screaming and crying for their loved ones as the Nazi’s came through the streets of London. Sirens could be heard in the distance as help arrived for the wounded. It was 1942 and the war was upon England.

While war was being declared upon England a different kind of war was happening elsewhere. Over at Notley Abby where you would think a little girls dreams could come true and be Daddy’s little girl could still be fantasized. However, this wasn’t meant to be.

It has been seventeen years since Vivien was a little girl and playing out in her mother’s beloved Rose garden. Now a day’s she could be found doing things around the home to help her middle aged father out. Nevertheless when her father was away on his duties as General for the Army Vivien’s new mother ruled the 13th century estate. 

“Must you go again father?” Vivien asked as they walked the grounds of Notley. Vivien was very sad to see her father go back to the war. She knew the many people of the Army needed him, but she needed him just as much. 

He turned to look at her just as he had done when she was a little girl. “Vivien, I have to go. The Army needs me,” While doing this he could see so much of Natalie in her. “You look and act just like your mother,” as he brushed a piece of hair away from her young beautiful face, as her blue eyes looked back at him. Richard was now realizing that his little girl was growing up and before he knew it she would be out on her own. 

While she grew prettier each day he was growing older each day. His once dark chestnut hair was growing snow white. While his youthful-self grew weak, he found himself needing his daughter’s help more often. But he still had enough in him to give his efforts to the war. 

Vivien smiled at this. Whenever her father spoke her mother’s name she could see a light in his eyes return. Something she rarely saw when he was with Catharine. Yes, Vivien knew he loved her stepmother, but it just wasn’t the same. “What was mother like?”

Richard laughed at this. “You used to ask me when you were little about her. I would sit you on my knee and tell you all different kinds of stories,” As he saw a small smile creep across his daughters face. “Do you remember me doing that?”

Vivien nodded her head yes as she thought back to all those times. Sitting on his lap and listening with such stamina. “Are you going to tell me a story or do I have to beg you for one?” Vivien asked as she raised an eyebrow. Sometimes she would beg her father to do that even when it was far past her bed time. 

Sitting on the small stone bench that sat under the big oak tree Richard began the story. “Your mother and I met when we were very young, as a matter of fact just a few years older then you.” Vivien smiled at this she knew her parents were very much in love. 

“Now where was I?” Richard asked as he pondered this as his hand rested on his chin.

“When you got married,” Vivien laughed as she knew her father was just getting distracted. 

“Oh, yes, we got married right away for we knew we were right for each other. We had love that could surpass anything.” At the talk of love Vivien could see the weakness in his eyes. “When your mother died I thought I had lost all hope of love. You were just five months old when she died. But then I realized I still had you and I will always love you for always and forever.” He placed a kiss upon her forehead. 

“Oh, father I’m going to miss you so much,” as she gave him a hug, a tear ran down her face and onto his jacket. For all Vivien knew this could be the last time she would ever see her father alive. 

Breaking the hug, Richard could tell she had been crying. 

Handing her his white handkerchief she dried her tears. “The locket I gave you will always carry your mother’s and my love in it.” As he pointed at the silver locket that hung around Vivien’s neck. 

Vivien knew this for she always knew her parents love was with her.

Watching from a second story window that just faced the east of the garden Lady Alexander looked out with a scowl on her face while bitterness filled her heart. Oh, how she despised her stepdaughter. She was always so sweet and kind. It just made her sick to her stomach. To make matters worse she was getting prettier each day. Every time Catherine would see one of her friends out and about they would always tell her 

“Your stepdaughter is just so pretty. You must be so proud of her.” 

Catherine was everything but proud of her stepdaughter. Why did she have to be so pretty? 

Before Lady Alexander would know it Vivien would be the most beautiful woman in all of London. Lady Alexander couldn’t let that happen. As a matter of fact she wouldn’t let that happen even if it was the last thing she ever did. 

Walking inside Vivien felt better after talking to her father. He wasn’t just her father, but he was also her best friend. “Why don’t you go wash up for dinner it should be ready shortly.” Richard told Vivien as they walked through the front door. 

Leaving the room Vivien bumped into her stepmother as she walked up the stairs. “I’m sorry Lady Alexander.” Vivien said as she turned to continue her way up the stairs. Even though that was her mother’s title she had to call her stepmother that. After all she did marry her father. 

“What have I told you to call me?” Catherine asked as her eyes went small. 

Leaving the room Vivien bumped into her stepmother as she walked up the stairs. “I’m sorry Lady Alexander,” Vivien said as she turned to continue her way up the stairs. Even though that was her mother’s title she had to call her stepmother that. After all she did marry her father. 

“What have I told you to call me?” Catherine asked as her eyes went small. 

“I’m sorry Catherine,” Vivien said as she looked back at her stepmother. 

“That’s better,” Catherine’s cold voice shot back which sent chills down Vivien’s spine. 

Going on up to her room Vivien couldn’t help wonder and somewhat know that her stepmother hated her. Walking down a short hallway she came to her bedroom door. Opening it Vivien saw her little orange tabby kitten sitting on her bed. Going over to her bed she sat down as she put the kitten in her lap. 

“Oh, Callie, what are we going to do?” she asked while a few tears sprang to her eyes. Vivien buried her lovely face in the kitten’s fur she tried to hide her true feelings. However there was one reason why she didn’t want her father to go, for she knew how Catherine could be. After a few moments in her room she washed up and went to eat dinner. 

The following day Richard was scheduled to leave. Walking downstairs he found Vivien picking at her breakfast. “Vivien, darling why so glum?” he asked as he approached her. 

“I don’t want you to leave.” Her voice came as her eyes drifted up towards her father’s face. 

“You knew this day was coming,” Richard said sitting down next to her. He could tell something was wrong with his little girl, but what? She often acted like this before his departure. 

“I know I just didn’t want to believe it would be here so soon.” Tears clung to her long eyelashes, while she tried to keep herself together. After all it wasn’t lady like to cry like this. “What happened to your 48 hours leave?” A sob got stuck in her throat as she feared the worst. 

“They called late last night and said it had been changed to today.” Richard said as he tried to find the best words to tell her. 

Eyes going wide Vivien stood up. “But you can’t go now.” Vivien said in fear as she found her hands going into fist. 

“I have to go. I have no other choice,” Richard said as he found himself standing up as well. 

Turning on her father Vivien walked out of the room and onto the patio. How could her father do this to her? She had already lost one parent she couldn’t bear to lose another. Taking a deep breath she tried to calm herself down. She could feel her anger growing inside her. While she looked out over the big lovely land the wind blew by her, causing to blow her hair in the wind. Vivien could hear her father’s combat boots coming and getting closer and closer. 

“Viv, don’t do this to me.” Richard said as he stood in the doorway. “I know you're upset that I have to leave, but the sooner I leave the sooner I will be back.” He took a seat on the arm of the chair. 

“But what if you don’t come back?” Vivien asked looking up at him with eyebrows raised while the question remained unanswered. 

Richard didn’t know how to answer this question. For once in his life he was stumped by a question. “You can’t even answer that one,” Vivien answered for him before he got a chance to try. 

“Not all questions can be answered Viv,” came his response as Callie came and sat on Vivien’s lap. 

“I suppose not,” Vivien answered back as she could feel herself giving in, as a sad sigh escaped her lips. Callie began purring as Vivien started petting her. 

Moments later a car horn could be heard out front. Vivien’s head shot up. No, it couldn’t be time already? “That’s the car the Sergeant has sent for me,” Richard said as he put his hat on. 
Getting up Vivien placed Callie at her feet and walked with her father to the front door. While Callie followed heel toe alongside her owner, Vivien walked bravely towards the door as she tried to hold back the anguish. 

For the next few moments would be the hardest and worst for Vivien. She could just hear all the gun shots and cries of the wounded as she approached the door. How she could see this within her head. What if something happened to her father? Before she knew it her father was facing her, for they had arrived at the front door. 

“Be good my darling and I shall be back as fast as I can.” Richard said kissing her forehead. Giving him one final hug Vivien told him how much she loved him and how much she was going to miss him. 

What happened the following moments were just a blur to Vivien. All she remembered was the door opening and then her father tipping his hat to her. Watching him walk down the walk way and out of her life for just a short while; before leaving Vivien told her father she would write to him often and would think of him always



© 2011 scarlettlovesrhett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on June 19, 2011
Last Updated on June 19, 2011


Author

scarlettlovesrhett
scarlettlovesrhett

About
Hi everyone I'm ScarlettlovesRhett and I've been writing for a while now. I've been writing on fanfiction.net for about three years now and I love it. I'm also a believer in God. I'm a lover o.. more..

Writing