Chapter 11: Roses of Love

Chapter 11: Roses of Love

A Chapter by scarlettlovesrhett

Catherine looked into her gold diamond mirror the following day. Today was going to be a good day she could just feel it in her bones. “Max.” she called in a happy voice as it trailed from the sitting room. 

Coming in moments later Max stood in the doorway. “Come here.” Catherine called in a cool voice as she waved her hand toward Max. 
Stepping forward Max could feel his face go white. What was he going to do? He couldn’t tell her the truth. For if he did Catherine would be looking for Vivien and then have his family killed in front of him. No, he couldn’t tell her the truth. He would have to lie through his teeth. 

“Where is her heart?” Catherine asked as she turned and faced Max. She needed the heart to show that he had done his job and done his job well. 

“You didn’t say anything about a heart.” Max questioned as he knew this to be true. 

“I told you to kill her didn’t I?” Catherine asked as her face grew red and her temper came to the surface. “Do you question my commands?”

“No, I just don’t recall you telling me to get her heart.” Max answered back. “You told me to just kill her.” Taking a white handkerchief he unfolded it to show the bloody dagger.

Catherine smiled at this. “Perfect.” A smile came to her evil lips as she knew she would now be the most beautiful in all of London. Now there would be no one in her way to get what she desperately wanted. 

Meanwhile, back at the bakery, the next few weeks went by as in a dream while letters began arriving, one after another, were read and a response was written back right away. While on the job Vivien could be found daydreaming as she did her task. Vivien waited night and day for the next letter to arrive. With great anticipation the letter would arrive. Opening it as she came inside a smile would come to her lips as she read the words on the small white paper. 

Letter number fifteen

Dear Vivien;

I count the days until I see your smiling face again. I count the days until I hear your laugh once again. Every day I look out at my army base and think of my home and you. Even though we have lost so many men over the past few weeks I still look forward till the day where I can step foot into that bakery and take you in my arms.

All My Love,
Larry 

Why couldn’t the end of the war get here? All this waiting was driving her crazy. Yes, work was keeping her busy, but it just made things seem so far away. Looking at the letter Vivien sighed happily as she grabbed a piece of paper and began writing back.

Dear Larry;

The end of the war will be here before either of us knows it. Receiving your letter’s just make living so much easier and knowing that you will be home within a of weeks makes it worth getting up the following morning. I can just hear the shouts of victory going through the streets as people begin to greet their loved ones. Soon you and my father will be coming home. Keep well.Love Always
Vivien 

Coming from the living quarters Emma and Mary saw what was going on. Smiling at each other they entered the room. “Get another letter from Larry?” Mary asked as she sneezed for the tenth time today. 

“How could you tell?” Vivien asked as she put the finishing touches on the letter. 

“Just the way you look at the letters when you get them.” Emma’s soft voice came. “It’s almost as if he is here in this very room.”

“If only that were true,” Vivien said as she looked at the two with a weak smile. “Well, I’m off to mail this letter.” 

“Remember Vivien, don’t talk to anyone. If your stepmother knows you’re out then she will do anything.” Mary said as she held a tissue to her nose. 

Nodding her head that she understood she put her hand on the door knob. 

Hopping into the room Sally had a smile on her face. “Where are you going Vivien?” 

“To mail this letter to Larry,” Vivien said as she turned from the front door as she held up the letter. 

“Can I come?” Sally asked as her dark brown eyes got big with hope. She really wanted to go. She always liked going about London, seeing the many things that London had to offer. 

“Not today Sally, maybe another time,” Vivien answered as the little girl approached her. 

“Oh, alright,” Sally replied as she looked down at the floor. 
Smiling down at her Vivien patted her small head “However, I think there is a little kitten up in my room that would love to be played with.”

“Can I play with Callie?” Sally asked as she began jumping up and down. 

“You may.” Vivien replied with a smile. Running from the room Sally ran up the stairs. 

“Make sure to shut the door when you’re done. I don’t want Callie getting lost and causing trouble.” Vivien yelled after Sally who by now was entering her room. 

“Okay,” Sally yelled back as she shut the bedroom door. 

Vivien laughed as she departed. That little girl was something. In a way Sally reminded her of herself when she was Sally’s age. Carefree, loving life, playing all day and chatting away with her father about her day. 

Walking down the street Vivien took in a deep breath of fresh air. Looking around she found the nearest mail carrier. Putting the letter in, she smiled as it fell through the slot. Within a few days Larry would be getting the letter. Taking her time back to the bakery Vivien took a little short cut back. Looking in the many store windows she found things she wanted, but right at the moment she couldn’t afford them. Vivien couldn’t write her father and ask for money. For one her father had no idea she had even run away. Let alone have the money to buy all of those things. At the moment money was tight and would continue to be tight until the war ended, besides Vivien had many nice things back in her room. 

Not paying any attention to anything around her Vivien would soon come in contact with one of Catherin’s friends. Turning around to go back to the bakery Vivien bumped right into Jenny. “Oh, I’m so sorry Jenny,” Vivien said as she realized what she had done. Oh, no, what would she do if Jenny told Catherine that she saw her in London? Now Vivien saw her life flash before her eyes. 

“Vivien, what are you doing here?” Jenny asked in a surprised voice. “Catherine said you haven’t been home for quite some time.” 

“Yes, I’ve been around.” Vivien answered as she could feel fear grip her heart. “If you will excuse me I need to be getting back.”

“Where have you been staying? Catherine has been worried sick about you.” Jenny said as she fixed the collar of her coat. 

Catherine never cared about her. Why should she be asking now? What had she done? Vivien wanted to ask herself as she tried her best to get away. “I can’t tell you,” Turning Vivien left within moments. Of all places she just had to run into one of Catherine’s friends. Running down the street that the bakery was on Vivien looked back once to make sure no one was following her. Stopping a few moments to catch her breath Vivien continued her way back to the bakery. Little did Vivien know that she was being followed? 

Stepping into the bakery Vivien leaned up against the door. 
Shutting her eyes, she tried her best to catch her breath. “Vivien, what’s wrong?” Jacqueline asked as she polished the silver. Not giving her an answer she just kept her eyes shut. “Vivien?” Jacqueline asked again as she feared the worst. 

“I was mailing a letter.” Vivien began as she tried to keep things as calm as possible. 

By the sound of her name the rest of the sister’s came into the room. “What’s going on?” Virginia asked as everyone else stood still. 

“I saw one of Catherine’s friends as I was mailing the letter.” Vivien said as she began to breathe heavily. What was she going to do? She couldn’t stay here. She would have to pack her things up and leave. “I can’t stay here. I’ll have to leave. Oh, if Catherine finds out I don’t know what she will do.”

“Vivien, dear, you’re not going anywhere. Come here and sit down while we start to figure this out.” Anna said as she waved for Vivien to take a seat. 

Taking a seat Vivien began to breathe normally. Everything was going to be okay. After all the sisters would see to that, sitting Callie in her lap Sally stepped back as she looked at Vivien. “She followed me down stairs.” Sally said so fast Vivien barely had time to catch it. 

“It’s alright Sally,” Vivien answered as she waved her hand at her. She had more things to worry about right now. Sitting in her lap Callie meowed. It was as if Callie was trying to tell Vivien everything was going to be okay. 

“What are we going to do?” Anna asked her sisters as she tried her best to think of something.

“We’ll have to make sure that Vivien doesn’t leave this building; without one of us .” Jacqueline spoke up as she knew they needed a plain and fast. 

“That could work, but it may not work for very long.” Emma answered in her quiet voice. 

“It will have to work, until we can think of something else.” Mary tried to make her sisters see eye to eye. 

Agreeing on the matter, they turned back to Vivien who by now was in tears as she could feel her life ending. “Here’s what we have agreed on.” Virginia spat as she didn’t take things like this lightly. She just wanted to find this person and show her who was boss. 

Looking at the sisters with hope Vivien prepared herself for what was coming. “You will not be allowed to leave this building and let people in after closing hours without our consent.” 

“How will I get my letters mailed?” Vivien asked as she couldn’t believe what was being said. She wasn’t going to become a caged animal. 

“We will mail them for you.” Anna answered as sweet as possible. 
“I’m going to be like a caged animal.” Vivien said in a dream like state. 

“No dear, not at all,” Emma’s voice came. “We just want to protect you from what is out there.” 

Standing up Vivien ran from the bakery and up to her room. Shutting the door Vivien threw herself onto her bed as tears fell like big drops onto her pillow, as she could feel her face become damp from the tears. “If this was their way of protecting me it was madness.” Vivien cried into her pillow. 

Looking at each other the sisters didn’t know what to do. “Vivien will be alright, just give her some time.” Anna reassured them as she put an arm around Sally. 

Crying herself to sleep Vivien didn’t wake till morning. This was what she needed, a good night’s rest. They would deal with this in the morning. 

Back at Notley, Jenny couldn’t wait to tell Catherine who she ran into. “You’ll never guess who I ran into yesterday.” Jenny said as she sat in a chair at Notley the next day. 

“My dear, don’t tell me you ran into the Queen.” Catherine asked as she laughed a little. She knew she was just pulling Jenny’s leg. 
“Vivien,” Jenny said as she smoked her cigarette. A puff of smoke filled the room. Looking over at Catherine, Jenny saw fire in her eyes. 

“What is the matter? I thought you might be happy that I saw her.” 

Throwing her cup and saucer Catherine got so livid that she didn’t think she could contain herself anymore. “That wretched girl she makes me so disgusted I can’t even look at her let alone think of her!” Catherine began to rant and rave as she went around and broke almost every piece of china in that room. “Where is she?” 

“I don’t know.” Jenny said as she saw the real Catherine. She had no idea that she hated her stepdaughter so. “I saw her run into a small building on Marylebone High Street.” 

Pacing around the room Catherine began to get closer and closer to where Vivien might be. “What did the place look like? What was the place called?” Catherine asked as she faced her friend who by now was ready to leave and never come back. Jenny no longer knew who this person was. All she saw was a rather mad woman who hated her stepdaughter so. 

“It was halfway down the street. It, um, had a brown roof; the outside was the color of butter milk yellow with a wooden sign hanging above.” Jenny answered as she could just see the front door. This was all she knew for she couldn’t see the front of it. 
“The name?” Catherine asked as she could feel the location closing in. 

“Something like: Sisters Café. Something along those lines,” Jenny answered. She wasn’t quite sure if this was the shop name or not. 

“I’ve heard of that bakery. They're famous for their cakes and scones,” Catherine said as she began thinking while pacing around the room yet again. While deep in thought Jenny left quietly to never return. A sinister smile came to Catherine’s lips as she had the perfect and plan to make this entire thing end. 

The following morning things began as normal. Vivien woke up to the sound of Big Ben striking eight as the birds began to sing. However, the rest of the day would pass as if in a dream. Walking down stairs she found everything to be in perfect order. Flipping the closed sign to open Vivien got to work while she could hear voices in the back. The bell of the door could be heard a half an hour later. Looking up from her magazine Vivien saw a young boy standing there.

“Are you Miss. Vivien Alexander?” the boy asked as he stepped up to the counter.

“Yes,” Vivien answered as she closed her magazine. What could all this be about? 

“These are for you.” The young boy handed Vivien a long box with a long red ribbon on top. 

“Thank you.” Vivien said with a smile as she looked at the boy. 
“You’re quite welcome Miss.” The boy answered as he left the shop for his other deliveries.

Guiding her finger tips along the side of the white box Vivien lifted the lid with great anticipation. Lifting the box a gasp escaped Vivien’s lips. Eyes going wide as she saw the dozen roses lying in white crisp tissue paper. Seeing the small note that sat with them Vivien picked it up and opened it. Eyes swiftly going across the letter Vivien held her breath as she read. 

Dear Vivien;

I will always love you until the last one dies. I’m still counting the days until I can come home and see your beautiful face.



Love Always 
Larry 


“Vivien, what is it? Who was at the door?” Anna asked as she and her sisters came from the back room. 

Handing her the letter without a word Vivien just looked at the lovely roses as her heart picked up pace. “Aw,” the sister’s said, except Virginia. She found it rather repulsive to even think about love and such. Things like that just made her sick. 

Going to the back Vivien filled a lovely vase and put the roses in them. Rearranging them very carefully she went and placed them in her room. He would be coming home soon oh, how she couldn’t wait for that day. However, unknowing to Vivien, Larry wouldn’t be sending a letter for quite some time. 

The sun rose and set day after day. Minutes, hours and days went by as no news came from Larry. With each passing day the roses started to wilt and so did the hope in Vivien’s heart. 

One day Vivien woke to find one single rose still in full bloom. Touching it with her finger tips Vivien picked it up to find that it was the rose that would never die. Running down stairs she found the sisters in the shop. “What he said in the note was true.”

“Was there any doubt that he didn’t love you?” Jacqueline asked with a laugh.

“No, about the rose, this one never wilted not once. While the rest of them died this one didn’t.” Vivien said as she held the long stem fake rose in her left hand. 

“That’s so gross.” Sally said as she stuck out her tongue. “On the other hand it’s kind of sweet in a less gross kind of way.”

Vivien laughed at this. “One of these days you will find out what love is like.” 

“Don’t count on it. She’s so grossed out about a lot of things.” Virginia answered this for Sally. 

“Hey,” Sally said as she turned and pushed her much older sister. 
Looking down at her Virginia put her hands on her hips. Sally’s face changed from mad to scared quickly. Sticking her finger in her mouth she kept her mouth shut. “Vivien, is this your hearts true desire?” 

“Sally, we do not ask questions like that.” Emma said as she pointed her index finger at her. 

“It’s alright I don’t mind.” Vivien answered. “Yes, it is.” 
The finger came out of Sally’s mouth and a smile replaced it. Jumping up and down she began to get very excited.


“Calm down there spunky.” Mary said as she placed a hand on her sister’s small shoulder. 

“I’ve dreamed of this day for as long as I can remember. I had never told anyone my hearts true desire except my father.” Vivien began as she looked at the rose with a smile that showed hope. But, the smile soon faded. “One day my stepmother found out my hearts true desire and she told me I should just get it out of my heart and head. Because, I was to stay at Notley Abby for the rest of my life,” 

The sisters found this shocking. How could a mother tell her daughter that? “How could she say such a thing?” Emma asked. 

“She’s hated me for as long as I’ve known.” Vivien began as she could feel her lower lip shaking. “She’s a wicked woman I tell you.” 

“Don’t think about her now. Larry will be home in a few days and everything will be fine.” Anna answered as she tried to make Vivien forget about her stepmother. 

Taking in a deep breath Vivien nodded her head and knew the sister’s spoke the truth. He would come and they would live happily ever after.




© 2011 scarlettlovesrhett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011


Author

scarlettlovesrhett
scarlettlovesrhett

About
Hi everyone I'm ScarlettlovesRhett and I've been writing for a while now. I've been writing on fanfiction.net for about three years now and I love it. I'm also a believer in God. I'm a lover o.. more..

Writing