Chapter 12: Plotting of a Sinister Plan

Chapter 12: Plotting of a Sinister Plan

A Chapter by scarlettlovesrhett

The car turned and went down the long drive of Notley Abby. Pulling up to the big mansion the car door opened. Helping the man out of the car the chauffeur got the wheelchair from the trunk. “We are home sir,” While he began wheeling the man inside. 

Smiling at his home, Richard couldn’t wait to see his girls. “Welcome home sir.” Max said as he waved his hand towards the entrance. Poor Richard so much had happened to him. What would he do when he found out that Vivien had run away? 

“Where are my girls at?” Richard asked as he began looking around the room. 

“Catherine will be down in a few minutes.” Max answered as he feared to answer him about Vivien. 

“Vivien, where is Vivien?” Richard asked as he couldn’t wait to see how much she had changed. 

“Yes, Vivien is” Max began as he didn’t want to tell him. It would just break Richards’s heart. However, before he could continue Catherine came into the room. 

“Dear, it’s so good to see you.” Catherine said as she gave him a kiss. A much long and waited for kiss, “When I received the letter that you had been injured I just didn’t know what to do, but now your home, home for good.” 

“Yes, as I lay in that hospital bed I didn’t think I would ever live to see this place again.” Richard said as he looked around and then at his wife. “Where’s Vivien?” He couldn’t wait to see her after all this time. 

Pressing her red lips together Catherine knew she had to tell him. Then again why should she care if her stepdaughter had run away? It’s been much better without her. “She’s runaway Richard. She said she couldn’t live here anymore.” 

Looking up at his wife Richard couldn’t believe what was happening. His only daughter had run away from home. What could have possessed her to do so? “Have you called the police or anything?” Richard asked as he turned his wheelchair around. 

“She wrote a letter saying she didn’t want to be found. She thought life here at home would be much more peaceful without her.” 
Catherine answered back as she just made up some lie along the way.

Richard found this shocking. How could Vivien think such a thing? That wasn’t true. He loved her so very much. Going over to the phone he picked it up. “I’m finding her and bringing her home.”

“No, I’ll do that. After all you must be very tiered from your journey.” Catherine offered as she went over and took the phone out of Richards hand and placed in back on the receiver. 

“I suppose your right. I am tired. I think I will go take a nap.” Richard said as he wheeled out of the room. Getting to the stairs one of the servants helped him upstairs to his room. 

Looking over in the direction that her husband left, a smile came to Catherine’s lips. Taking her hand off of the phone she walked away never to call the police as she told Richard she would. 

For a few days Richard lay in his bed trying to get his strength back from all the suffering he had gone through. “How are you feeling dear?” Catherine asked as she sat on the edge of the bed. 

“Everything’s still blurry from what happened.” Richard said as he took a drink of water. “All I remember is the sound of shooting and the sounds of the wounded.” 

“All you need to do is get your strength back and things will soon be back to normal.” Catherine said as she brushed a piece of his grey hair out of his face. “The doctor said for you to take this,” handing him a green colored pill. 

Taking a drink of water he took the pill and shut his eyes. Getting up Catherine placed the glass on the nightstand and left the room with a sinister smile on her face and evilness in her heart. A few more days go by as Richard continued to take the pills, the pills that were supposed to make him better. However every passing minute, every passing hour Richard felt sicker and sicker. It got to the point where he could barley lift his head from the white pillow that lay on his bed. A knock came to his door.

“Come in,” his weak voice called out as his eyes drifted over to the door. 

Opening it he saw his wife standing there. “Morning Darling,” Catherine called in a happy voice as she gave him a kiss. “I’m running to the store today. Do you need anything?” 

“No, I should be good for a while.” Richard said as he swallowed as if he were in pain. “If I need anything I will call on Max.” 

“Alright, dear, I shall be back soon.” Catherine said as she put her gloves on. Kissing him goodbye she departed and went to the store. 

When the door was shut and the car was started and down the road Max went into Richards’s room. “Sir, there’s something I must tell you.”Max said as he stood at the door. 

“What is it Max?” Richard asks as he tries his very best to sit up. Helping him sit up Max didn’t know how he would do this. 

“Sir, those pills Catherine has been giving you. It’s some kind of medicine that only makes you want to sleep. While you sleep the medicine takes a hold of your body and makes you sicker then you already are.”

Shaking his head, “No, Max, this is just something I got while I was in the war. I will be fine in a few days.” Richard protested in a weak voice. 

“No Sir, here is the bottle.” Max said pulling out the bottle and handing it to Richard. 

Putting his glasses on Richard began to read. Max was right. Catherine was drugging him. “What do I do?” Richard asked Max as he handed him back the bottle. 

While Max began pondering for an idea the clock could be heard in the background as the seconds ticked by. After what seemed like forever. Max finally came up with a solution. “When she gives it to you again just act like you are taking it and when she leaves take it out and place it under the mattress. That way she will continue to think you are still taking it.” 

“That’s a marvelous idea Max,” Richard said as Max saw hope in his eyes for the first time in weeks.

An hour later Catherine arrived home, knocking on the door Richard told her to come in. “How are you feeling?” her soft voice came as she walked over to the bed.

“Much better,” Richard said as he knew he would be feeling 100% better before the end of the week. 

“You are looking better dear,” Catherine agreed as she pulled out one of those pills. Taking it Richard put it in his mouth and in his cheek. He wasn’t going to be made a full from his own wife. “I will let you rest and will be up later with your dinner.” 
Nodding his head Richard shut his eyes.

The footsteps began to die down as Catherine departed down the hall. Opening his eyes Richard took the pill out and put it under the mattress. Richard hoped and prayed this would fool Catherine for as long as possible. 

Walking down the hall and into her own room Catherine began to think of an idea. “Now that I’ve got the old man taken care of now all I have to do is take care of that brat.” Catherine said as she began looking through all her things. While she looked she had remembered the idea she had when Jenny was over. “Yes, that idea would work out nicely.” Catherine laughed as she pulled out her book of “spells” that someone had bought her as a gift from New Orleans. 

“Here it is a poison apple.” Catherine smiled as she knew this could do the trick. Who could pass up a lovely red apple? Within a matter of hours Vivien would no longer be her problem. Gathering things up Catherine began planning. 

While a battle was being fought at home there was another battle being fought somewhere else. However, this battle was still looking for a happy ending. Feeling as if her dreams were dissolving Vivien began think they would never come in time. Before long letters were the farthest things from Vivien’s mind. Maybe if she didn’t think about it for a while a letter would come. Before long the sunny days of happiness and hope would soon be dashed, by cold, bleak, rainy days. 

Days passed and there still wasn’t a letter from Larry. Did something happen? This made Vivien wonder. Looking out on the rainy day, things began to go slower than ever. Not many people came in on one of these rainy days. Maybe tomorrow would be better. After all tomorrow was Sunday and the bakery was closed so Vivien could write another letter to Larry and maybe just maybe he would write back. This put a smile on Vivien’s face. Yes, that’s what she would do. Thinking of that made the rest of the rainy day go by rather quickly. 



© 2011 scarlettlovesrhett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011


Author

scarlettlovesrhett
scarlettlovesrhett

About
Hi everyone I'm ScarlettlovesRhett and I've been writing for a while now. I've been writing on fanfiction.net for about three years now and I love it. I'm also a believer in God. I'm a lover o.. more..

Writing