Chapter 14: Heart’s True Desire

Chapter 14: Heart’s True Desire

A Chapter by scarlettlovesrhett



For the next few hours the rain beat down upon the sad home. All of their hearts were heavy with grief. Who would want to do such a cruel thing? 

Walking back and forth the girls tried to think of something. “Who would want to do this?” Emma asked as she began biting her finger nails. She often did this when she was nervous about something. 
“CATHERINE!” All of their voices became one. The look of horror was written on everyone’s face. 

“What are we going to do?” Sally asked as tears ran down her small cheeks. She couldn’t believe this was happening. Now that love story that Vivien had told her would never come true. Maybe happily ever after didn’t exist? 

Kneeling down Anna wiped away the many tears with the hem of her dress. “Sally, you mustn’t cry,” Putting her arms around Anna’s neck Sally did everything in her power not to cry, but how could she not? Picking her up Anna tried to calm the crying child. 

Walking over to a nearby chair Anna held her little sister close as if a baby. Anna could remember when their parents died. The accident was still so clear within her head. Hearing the sirens as they got closer and closer, seeing the flames from afar and hearing the firemen telling them that their parents had been killed in the accident. That memory would never leave Anna. Sally was just a year old when this took place and the others preferred not to talk about it.

“Shh, Sally, everything’s going to be alright.” Anna whispered in her ear as she patted her back. She truly was the one that held the family together. Without Anna things would fall apart all together.

“Oh, let her cry. She’s a big baby anyway.” Virginia spat as she looked over her should with arms cross. 

“Your just a big meanie is what you are.” Sally shot back as she knew she wouldn’t be able to take this at the time. “That’s what you always are. You’ve been this way for years.” 

“That’s enough!” Evelyn yelled as she smacked her fist on the table. Jumping the sisters stopped bickering and began to listen. “This is one thing we don’t need right now. What we need to do is figure out what to do with Vivien’s body” 

Hearing those words the sister’s heads fell as they knew this had to be done. Why did such a thing have to happen? If those fairy tale stories that Vivien told Sally was to come true then the question was how? Her prince was away at war. Who would know when he was to get back and who knew when the war was going to end? It could be days, weeks, months and years. What would happen if it turned out to be that long? Only time would be able to tell. 

As the sun set the sister’s began noticing the color go from Vivien’s cheeks. Feeling her hands they were still warm, but not as they had been a few hours before. “What are we going to do?” Emma asked as her stomach began to get in knots. 

“You asked me the same question hours ago Emma.” Mary answered back as she held a tissue to her nose. “I don’t know what we are going to do.”

“Maybe her father will know what to do.” Sally’s voice came as she held her little brown teddy bear. 

“Her father is at war Sally. He won’t know what to do.” Virginia yelled as she could feel her temper rise. Sometimes she wondered if her younger sister had any brains at all. 

“I was just trying to help,” Sally’s voice fell as if she was going to start crying. 

“I know you are Sally and we are proud of you for wanting to help.” Anna answered as she smiled at her. 

Snapping her fingers an idea began to form. “What if we send a letter to Larry telling him what has happened.” Jacqueline asked as she thought this sounded like a rather good idea. “Then just maybe he might come home.”

“That’s the best idea we’ve heard.” Anna agreed as she went and got a blank piece of paper. The pen went swiftly across the paper as the words began to spill out. Within a matter of moments the letter was run down to the mail carrier. With hopes held high the sisters waited and waited for a response to come or a knock on the door. 

Smoke, gun shots and cries of hurt could be heard through the many miles of fighting. Sitting in a nearby tent Larry began to wonder if he would get another letter from Vivien. Going through the many letters that had been written Larry’s eyes fell on the last one that he had received. April 25, 1942. It had been at least two week since he had heard anything. Taking his hat off he shook his head. The war had really taken a toll on him. The lack of sleep, food and water was really getting to be too much for him. 

Looking down at his dirty, callous, scared beaten up hands. They were the hands of a fighter. A man fighting to get back to the woman he loved. The rain began to beat down on the old cream colored tent. With drops of rain falling on his hands he wiped his brow as he drew in a breath. 

“Lar, come have a cigarette with us.” Andrew called out as he and some other soldiers sat around a small table with a game of cards going. 

Feeling his heart heavy with sorrow Larry got up and joined the game. Maybe this was all he needed. “I’ve never seen you this down before.” Tommy said as he placed a chip in the center of the table. 
“I’m just ready for this bloody war to be over.”Larry answered in a frustrated voice. He had been away for nearly two months now. It was time that he returned home and stayed there. Taking out yet another letter Larry studied it for a little while. The rain had smudged the ink of Vivien’s pretty hand writing. 

Getting lost within those many words that had been exchanged between them so long ago Larry didn’t hear the army jeep stop in front of the tent. “Report to General Smith. He has your assignment.” A man yelled as he entered the tent with rain dripping off him.

Laying their cards down the men headed out. “Love is going to have to wait.” Andrew yelled as the plain engine over took the silence. 
Putting his hat on Larry left with the others to carry out their mission, never knowing if he would see this place or his love again. 

“It’s been five days since we sent out that letter. Why haven’t we heard anything?” Evelyn asked as that once glimpse of hope was becoming dimmer and dimmer.

“Stop worrying!” Virginia screamed as she knew, as everyone else did, that this was getting on their nerves. 

“If you want time to go faster, then don’t think about it, it’s as easy as that.”

Picking up the dinner plates and putting them in the sink, Evelyn, along with the rest of the sisters tried their best to think of something else to talk about and something else to think about. Before long the sisters found a few other things to talk about. From the new shop down the street to the newest fashions that had just been brought in from Paris.

“Remember that cute little spring dress that I’ve had my eye on for quite a while?” Emma questioned as if she expected one of her sisters to forget. 

“Yes, Emma, how could we forget? You’ve talked about it nonstop for three days.” Anna laughed as she began looking through the new issue of a fashion Magazine. “Why would you want it from down the street when you can just make it yourself?” Holding up the magazine with the lovely yellow spring dress that Emma wanted, “Besides you know the people that own that shop over prices everything.” 

Emma knew this to be true. But she so desperately wanted that new dress. Sighing sadly Emma began looking at the dress in the magazine. Yes, she could make it couldn’t she? All she needed was the fabric and the pattern. That however would take her a while to get. After all, they were at war and things were becoming harder to get than ever before. After talking a little more the girls realized that it was far past midnight so they retired to bed for the evening. Going to bed with heavy hearts the girls prayed that Larry would get the letter and show up soon. 

Two weeks later…

The day had begun like every other. Rain had begun to sit in for days now, but things had to get done. Turning on the radio Mary began opening up shop. Humming to the song; Good Rockin Tonight by Wynonie Harris, Mary failed to hear the announcement. 

Looking over at the radio Mary began listening very carefully. “Soldiers are coming home today,” The voice on the radio. “The war isn’t over with, but there is talk that the war will end very shortly.” 

“Girls come here!” Mary yelled into the back room. 

The sisters came running in. “What is it?” Anna asked as she approached with a dish towel in hand. 

“Listen.” Mary told them as she turned up the radio. Getting close to the radio the girls listened with great anticipation. 

“The following troops will be returning home.” The announcer spoke as he cleared his throat. “General Smith, General Kanton.” 

Holding their breath the sisters waited to hear General Alexander’s name to be called. Five more General’s were called until finally. “General Alexander’s troop will be the last of the troops to be returning home. Our prayers are with the soldiers that are still out there. This is Albert Andrews, stand by for more news shortly.” 
The sisters couldn’t believe this. After weeks of hoping and after weeks of praying General Alexander’s troop was coming home. That was the troop Larry was in. Within a few short days they would be at the train station waiting. 

People began filling into Waterloo Station as if they were being evacuated themselves. Soldiers started coming off the train as many people began screaming for their loved ones. “Where is he?” Sally asked as she began jumping up and down. 

Picking Sally up, Anna put her on her hip. “He’ll be here in a moment Sally. You must be patient.” 

“But I don’t want to be patient. I want him here now. Vivien needs him.” Sally said as she couldn’t keep still any longer. 

People began shoving their way through when seeing their loved ones. “If it wasn’t for the soldiers coming home, I would just show these people whose boss.” Virginia threatened as she got bumped into once again. This was not to her liking, but then again what was to her liking?

Looking over the many people that came and went, the girls looked for a good ten minutes. Finally after what seemed as the girls feared the worst Sally spotted him. “There he is.” Sally said. 
“Sally, if you don’t keep still I’m putting you down.” Anna scolded her younger sister. She was seven why in the world was Anna holding her? However, Sally was small for her size so it was easy to carry her. 

“Oh Larry, thank God you’ve come.” Evelyn said as he approached them. Any later and they would have thought the worst. 
“What’s wrong? Why isn’t Vivien with you?” Larry asked in a troubled voice.

“Didn’t you get the letter we sent you?” Emma asked in a whisper. This wasn’t going so well. Larry could barely hear her for she was speaking so low. “No, I haven’t gotten a letter since Vivien sent me one over a month ago.” Larry could tell something was wrong but what? “I haven’t been at my base for a few days now.” 

The girls knew they had to tell him. “Mr. Laurence, something happened while you were playing war.” Sally said as she looked at him. Her eyes were almost full of tears at the thought of it. 
“What happened?” Larry asked as if he were afraid to know the answer. For a few short moments no one said a word. “Tell me!” He yelled this time. 

Telling him they would tell him on the way to the bakery they headed out with the truth still in the balance. 

“It happened a few weeks ago,” Mary began as they drove out of the station. “We had to take Sally to the hospital one Sunday morning and Vivien stayed to watch the bakery. When we got back it was too late.” Anna said 

“What was too late? You’ve got to tell me?” Larry commanded as he knew he must know the truth. 

“When we got home we found Vivien lifeless on the floor of the bakery.” Anna finished as she tried to hide the sobs that were within her throat. 

Hitting his fist against the seat of the car Larry couldn’t believe such a wild story. Looking out the window Larry didn’t respond. If he would have only known sooner he would have come home. On the other hand his new General, General Smith would have more than likely have told him no, telling him that he was sure that Vivien was home safe and sound. The rest of the car ride was silence.

A little over an hour later the car pulled up to the small bakery. Getting out of the car Big Ben could be heard as it struck three. Making their way inside the sisters led Larry back to Vivien’s room. 

Taking her hand gently Larry rubbed his thumb up and down her small china hand. Even in her death like state Vivien still looked so lovely that it had seemed it was only yesterday that Larry had met her at the underground. But in truth it had been four months since their first meeting. Looking back on their meeting he knew he had seen something in her that he had never seen in any of his other lady friends before. She opened up to him so easily it was as if Vivien knew that she could trust Larry with her whole heart. Within a few short weeks of writing letters she had given her whole heart to him. 

Knowing that she was the only girl for him Larry lowered his lips down to hers. Brushing his lips against hers he prayed this would work. “Don’t leave me.” He whispered. 


Holding their breath the sisters stayed silent as they watched the scene in front of them. Sitting on the edge of the bed Larry kept his head bowed. Vivien’s china like hand that still rested in Larry’s began twitching. 

Vivien’s eyes fluttered open. Could this really be happening? After so many weeks of letter after letter he was really here. After months of praying and hoping Larry was finally here. Vivien just couldn’t believe it. Blinking her eyes again Vivien had to make sure he was real. Lifting her hand from Larry’s she touched his cheek. Happiness was dancing in her eyes as her smile told all. 

“I knew it.” Sally’s happy voice rang out. The fairy tale ending that Vivien had once told her had finally come true. Laughter filled the room as everyone turned to look at the little girl.


“Is this real? I still have that feeling that this is still a dream.” Vivien asked as she still didn’t know whether to believe it or not. Yes, his touch was real and yes, he looked real. But Vivien still didn’t know what to believe after all this time. 

“It’s real, that I can promise you.” Larry reassured Vivien as he kissed her forehead. 

Giving him a hug Vivien knew this was real. She knew he was real. He was back and he was going to be there for the rest of their lives. 


© 2011 scarlettlovesrhett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011


Author

scarlettlovesrhett
scarlettlovesrhett

About
Hi everyone I'm ScarlettlovesRhett and I've been writing for a while now. I've been writing on fanfiction.net for about three years now and I love it. I'm also a believer in God. I'm a lover o.. more..

Writing