Questions

Questions

A Chapter by George Love
"

Mallory begins to learn about her heritage

"

 

Questions
 
 
“Daddy, what was that thing that came for me? Why didn’t you kill it?”
            “That was a small, hideous creature we call a ‘Graveling’. They are sneaky, slimy and always smell very bad. They are very hard to kill for a first time slayer, but you found its weakness quickly. You needed this kill Mallory. You had to face this little demon. ”
            “Is that what we are? Slayers?” Mallory’s bright bluish green eyes bore holes in him with that question.
            “Well, I am a Slayer, and you are a Slayer. Your mother isn’t, but she married into it. She doesn’t do well with the idea.”
            “Has she ever killed anything?”
            “Nothing more evil than a bug or two. Mallory, your mother is a very dear woman, but it’s hard for her to cope with what I do. She may not handle the fact that you are a Slayer very well either. You are our baby, our precious little girl, but you also have a gift to see these evil creatures and the knowledge of how to kill them.”
            “No one else could see the Graveling? That’s good, cause they’re gross! Yech!”
            “Yech! They are aren’t they? Mallory, the Graveling you killed was killing pets. It was bad, and it was about to start killing children. We don’t have to kill many creatures, but when one needs killing, we do our part to make sure they are killed. These creatures are not human, so they have no souls. Killing them is okay.”
            “Do they ever look different?”
            “As Gravelings go, this one looked about average. If a Graveling is very young, it can take another form to protect itself.”
            “What about other things?”
            “Other things?”
            “Do we slay other things, like vampires or werewolves?”
            “Oh, not for you Mallory. You are not powerful enough to face a full-grown adult vampire or werewolf. They would not concern you anyway.”
            He hoped he was telling Mallory the truth. No vampire ever attacked a young slayer and the werewolves stayed away from him until he was well into his young adult life. He looked into those bright eyes of his young child and hoped she would never face the old ones his father faced, the ones who killed his father and mother while he was away at college. Times were different these days, and the night demons had to adapt. They were bolder, and some were stronger. He began to tell her of her grandfather, the man who showed him the ways of the Slayer.


© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A great continuation. I like how he explained everything to her. On to the next chapter, wonderful job!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love