Mallory at Twelve

Mallory at Twelve

A Chapter by George Love
"

A prepubescent Mallory is quickly becoming the most popular girl in school. The beautiful child keeps her secret from her friends, but she suspects one boy knows who and what she is.

"

 

 
Mallory at Twelve
 
 
 
“Mallory! Hey Mal, wait up!” 
            Mallory turned to see who could be yelling at her in such a frenzied voice. She sighed as Tony ran to catch them.
            “Just keep walking,” she said. “Maybe he’ll give up.”
            “Tony’s got a crush on you,” Beverly teased. “I’ll bet he has your name all over his notebook.”
            “Why me? Why does he have to crush on me?” Mallory whined. She was not very happy at having the town’s most average boy crush on her. Not that there was anything wrong with Tony, there just was not anything right with him either. He was plain old average.
            “What guy wouldn’t Mal? You’re hot, just like us.”
            “Beverly, we’re twelve, okay,” Stephanie protested. “We still don’t have all our normal body parts yet.”
            “Well, Mallory does and I’ve got a nice shape, so if ya got it, let’em know it,” Beverly teased. She stuck her developing chest out a touch to emphasize her point. Mallory rolled her eyes at her display of prepubescent dreaming. 
            Tony kept running after the three girls, wondering how he was supposed to watch after Mallory when she refused to have anything to do with him. His father watched the girl develop as a slayer over the past five years and charged Tony with the task of staying close to her. Why couldn’t she have been a boy? Then he would have been able to stay close to his charge without all this boy/girl drama, like today. All he had to do was make sure Mallory walked by his house on the way home. That should be simple, but her posse shows up and they go downtown instead. 
            The small town had a great teen and pre-teen social hangout spot in the form of an old time soda shop. They could go there after school, drink sodas, eat ice cream and use the internet café. Okay, so not everything in the shop was old school, but it also was not on the way to Tony’s house either. He caught up with them and finally caught his breath as well.
            “Didn’t think you girls were ever gonna slow down. Mal, you dropped this at school. I think it’s tomorrow’s English homework?” He had taken it from her locker as an excuse to follow Mallory, but she did drop it in the hall before she put it in her locker, so he was not telling a total lie.
            “Oh, it is. Thank you, Tony. That was sweet of you. You could have given it to me in the morning at homeroom.”
            “I thought you might want it tonight. You missed the diagramming on the second sentence. I checked it for you, so you can fix it and get it right.”
            Mallory looked at the paper carefully. She had erased one portion of the diagram earlier, but she was sure she changed it correctly when she realized her mistake. The paper she held was indeed hers, but she could have changed the wrong sentence.
            “If you let me walk you home, I promise to help you with your homework,” Tony offered. He had to get her close to his house so his father could see her. Something important was coming, and Mallory was included in the something. He had to know if Mallory was the one.
            “First off, eww, why would she hang with barely average you?”
            “And second, we have plans, loser,” Stephanie said. “I’m sure Mallory appreciates what you did for her but she is a straight A student, you’re like a B- or something, and third, eww, you stink. You poop on yourself or something?”
            “Crap!” Tony yelled as he noticed the strong odor of dog poop. He was horrified and embarrassed to see the light brown glop of dog poop on his shoes. Not one shoe, but both shoes.
            “Let’s go girls. I hear Robbie’s going to be there, that totally hot keeper!” Beverly said as they left Tony to clean the dog poop from his shoes. 
This was not good. His father was going to be very upset with him. With his own health failing, his father left a lot of his legwork up to Tony. Tony did as asked, but when big events were close, he found many obstacles thrown in his path, like today
            The old days were easy. You watch a person, find their weakness and then pounce on them. If you encountered a Slayer, you stayed clear of them. Today was different. More disease ran rampant through the population now. Bite the wrong person and you died. DIED? The new strains of diseases killed their kind, and the new generation Slayers was too sneaky. Cute little girls as Slayers? That never happened in the old days. You could spot a Slayer a mile away by the half-crazed look in their eyes, the near obsession with the hunt of one of their kind and the style of dress. 
            Now the Slayers looked normal. Mallory was, in fact, a gorgeous and intelligent child. She dressed very stylishly and carried with her the most deadly item a Slayer could carry. Aside from her charm, Mallory carried a stun gun, known to put any night demon unconscious and she carried the Sheffield Silver knife. Used to deliver the coup de gras, it severed the heart in two and once damaged, the heart could not be repaired. She was a Slayer of the top order, from a long line of Slayers. Tony knew this, but his father had to be sure. Ever since she spotted the vampire when she was seven years old, his father wanted to test her again, find out how strong this Slayer was. 
            Sadly, Tony watched the girl of his dreams and nightmares walked away. The most beautiful twelve year old in the world was feared by one of the most powerful vampires of the twenty-first century, or any century for that matter. Tony did not know how long his father lived on this earth, and right now he did not care.   His father would have to wait for his test of Mallory. In utter disgust, he scraped the dog poop from his shoes.


© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was very interesting and enjoyable to read. I also liked how you put some humor in there as well.


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ooh, a very interesting chapter. Very nicely done and now on to the next part. Great work!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..