Mallory

Mallory

A Chapter by George Love
"

Mallory goes to school after her first kill

"

 

Mallory
 
 
 
“Dad, did they kill her too?” Mallory asked with her eyes wide with anticipation. She was ready to hear more of her father’s story. His eyes grew sad as he turned back to face his child.
            “They did not kill her,” he began. “I married her, and she is your mother. She and I tracked those beasts for two days. She stayed with me until I found them, then I put them out of my misery. There were five of them. A complete family of werewolves, and they were all on my hit list. She only saw the first one that came for her, because to hurt me, they wanted to kill her, complete my punishment as it were.”
            “You did what you had to do Daddy. I know that now.”
            “I did what I had to do, and now, young girl, off to school. You may well be one of the Slayers, but you still have to go to school.”
            “Dad! Can’t I stay home today? Please?”
            Mallory tried to use her best puppy dog eyes on her father, but he was stern with her and got her ready to go to school. He was right. She was only seven and the second grade was still full of new things for her to learn. 
            It was somewhat hard for Mallory to focus that day and she hoped she did not make her teacher upset with her. Mallory did have friends, but now she had a secret she could not share with them. When they had secrets, they shared them with Mallory, but this was something she knew they would not understand. Some of her friends liked vampires and werewolves. How could she ever tell them what she knew about them?
            Still, Mallory made it through most of the day without incident, until afternoon naptime. She did not feel she needed to take a nap, but she closed her eyes anyway. Soon, the fatigue in her body from the night before caught up with Mallory and she was deep asleep. 
            Mallory began to dream. She saw herself in her dreams, and she dreamed in very vivid color, a trait most people do not possess. For that reason, Mallory had trouble telling her dreams from reality at times, especially when she had dreams during the daytime.
            She was looking in the window of her classroom and telling herself this was just a dream. She knew it was a dream because she could see herself on the nap mat, but was afraid anyway. Her classmates were all on their mats as well, but they were all leaving, one by one as something came to take them all away.
            “This is daylight, you can’t be here!” Mallory yelled at the window. No sound penetrated the glass and the teacher came over to close the blinds, shutting off Mallory’s view. She ran to the front door of the school. She had to tell someone what was happening to her classmates.
            She knew werewolves could not be in her school during the daytime, but her dream was too real. She knew she had to wake up, but if she woke to find this was really happening, she had no place to run. Mustering her courage, she forced herself to wake up. The room was quiet, except for the hum of the teacher’s computer and the bubbling of the class aquarium. The soft breathing of children sleeping filled the room as Mallory oriented herself to the room again. She breathed a sigh of relief as she lay her head down on the mat again.
            Her teacher noticed Mallory raise her head and quietly walked to her mat. She softly patted Mallory’s head in a knowing manner. Mallory liked that. Her teacher always seemed to know when she had a bad dream during her naptime and she always came to her side to watch over her until she went back to sleep or naptime ended.
            Her teacher stayed close while Mallory rested. She did not allow herself to go back to sleep, lest the dream come to her again. She did not like to dream about bad things. She did not like the see bad things, but now she knew some of the bad things were real. She knew she could stop the bad things. That gave her strength. 
As she continued to rest, the teacher opened the blinds quietly to allow Mallory and her classmates time to wake up slowly and completely. She liked that about this teacher. Her first grade teacher used an alarm clock to wake them from their afternoon naps. 
Once they put the nap mats away, Mallory’s day ended without incident. Her father picked her up from school and she wrestled over whether to tell him about her dream, but decided she was simply tired from the night before. The dream was a dream, nothing more and nothing less.
Her mother was actually up and fusing around the house, as if they were expecting company. She could, when the time was right, wake up and function as her mother, and Mallory liked those days. 
Mallory’s mother was awake more and working around the house more after Mallory killed the Graveling. Maybe it bothered her mother too? Was that another reason her mother took so many pills? Mallory could not think about that too much. She had other things on her mind, like second grade stuff and Halloween was right around the corner.


© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

awesome story keep writing more


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great chapter and the story keeps getting more interesting. Wonderful job!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

good story!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..