On The Street

On The Street

A Poem by carl
"

from a conversation with my son

"

On The Street:


 

absorption in self

or vision for others

a mirror or window

it's one or the other

 

an outreached hand

leaves life to chance

but an inward probe

just song and dance

 

is the truth out there

or someplace in here

do I dare even question 

or shy away in fear

 

the thread will still be

determined by fates

spun measured and cut

does not exonerate

 

the choices you make

for self or another.


© 2023 carl


Author's Note

carl
not much deliberation here just came rather quickly following a conversation with my son. He is a great counselor and inspiration to me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

John Donne wrote, "No man is an island". We are social creatures always in the flux of relationship driven actions and reactions. The hedonist, the altruist, everything in between, plays a little role in our performance. I think that's just our nature to grow in different directions as we learn. But when the focus is microscopic and we fixate on any one property too long it may become an unhealthy obsession. Most things are choices in life and sometimes only time will tell if we've made the right one.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

carl

10 Months Ago

thanks for the read and review, appreciate your response and comments. sorry slow in replying but ha.. read more



Reviews

Wow, this rang a selfish bell in my head. "A mirror or window, it's one or the other" I need to read this daily

Posted 6 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

carl

6 Months Ago

thanks for the read and review and encouragement - enjoyed your bio statement - I recognize much of .. read more
Carl,
Well said, sir. Succinct, tight, and important. I particularly like the line "a mirror or window." the whole poem in four words, like a sharp stick in the eye!

I too an a retired teacher... would love to learn pottery!

Posted 8 Months Ago


carl

6 Months Ago

sorry for the delay in giving thanks for the read and review, I have been occupied by health needs a.. read more


You are a lucky man indeed .. ink well spilt sir and truly .. Neville

Posted 9 Months Ago


carl

9 Months Ago

thank you, Neville, for your time to read and review appreciate the encouragement. ( Ink Well Spilt .. read more
Neville

9 Months Ago


You a far more than merely welcome sir, my pleasure entirely .. Neville
We all have choices, it is as well to install that into our children when they are old enough to understand what it means.
it is then up to their individual characters to determine if the choices are for self or the greater good of all.

Posted 9 Months Ago


carl

9 Months Ago

thanks for the read and review, agree on importance of teaching of the value of choices.
Stella Armour

9 Months Ago

my pleasure Carl..
Your poem is a thought-provoking reflection on the nature of self and the choices we make in life. Your use of language is both elegant and evocative, and I found myself feeling deeply moved by the emotions you convey. The line "an outreached hand / leaves life to chance / but an inward probe / just song and dance" is especially powerful - it's a reminder that we all have to strike a balance between our own needs and the needs of others.

Posted 10 Months Ago


More fathers and sons should have such conversations. The level of violence in the country now indicates they are not. What we have is a group of philosophical observations that end somewhat like a sonnet. If there is a unifying theme here, it is individual responsibility. We are responsible not only for what we do in life, but also about how we think about it.

Posted 10 Months Ago


carl

10 Months Ago

thanks for the read and review, your insight is much appreciated as it provides an outside observati.. read more
John Donne wrote, "No man is an island". We are social creatures always in the flux of relationship driven actions and reactions. The hedonist, the altruist, everything in between, plays a little role in our performance. I think that's just our nature to grow in different directions as we learn. But when the focus is microscopic and we fixate on any one property too long it may become an unhealthy obsession. Most things are choices in life and sometimes only time will tell if we've made the right one.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

carl

10 Months Ago

thanks for the read and review, appreciate your response and comments. sorry slow in replying but ha.. read more
As a poet I will analyze the poem "On The Street" from the perspectives of poetic expression and psychological symbolism.

From a poetic standpoint, "On The Street" is a contemplative piece that explores the duality between self-absorption and a broader vision for others.

The opening lines present a dichotomy: "absorption in self or vision for others." This juxtaposition sets the stage for a reflection on the tension between self-centeredness and empathy.

The poem employs the metaphorical imagery of a mirror and a window to convey the two contrasting perspectives. A mirror reflects only oneself, representing self-absorption and narcissism. On the other hand, a window offers a view to the outside world, suggesting an openness and connection to others.

The line "it's one or the other" emphasizes the mutually exclusive nature of these perspectives, highlighting the need to make a choice.

The next stanza introduces the theme of uncertainty and risk. An outreached hand, symbolizing reaching out to others, leaves one's life to chance.

This suggests that engaging with others and taking risks in relationships can be unpredictable and potentially challenging. Conversely, an inward probe, representing introspection and self-reflection, is described as "just song and dance," implying that it may be a form of self-indulgence or evasion of real connection.

The following lines express the struggle to find truth, whether it is external ("out there") or internal ("someplace in here").

The poet contemplates the dilemma of questioning, acknowledging the fear that may arise from challenging one's beliefs or accepting uncomfortable truths.

The poem's last stanza introduces the concept of fate and personal responsibility. The thread, symbolizing the course of life, is still determined by fate ("spun measured and cut"), suggesting that certain aspects of our lives are beyond our control. However, this realization does not absolve individuals from making choices. The choices we make for ourselves or others carry significance and consequences.

Overall, the poem explores existential and moral questions, addressing themes of self-awareness, empathy, choice, and the search for truth.

It highlights the tension between self-centeredness and connection, introspection and action, and the intertwining of personal agency and external forces.

Both as a Poet and using the learnings of Carl Jung, one would appreciate the depth of these contemplations and the exploration of the human psyche within the context of poetic expression.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

carl

10 Months Ago

once again you have entered the storehouse of my mind and straightened, categorized, boxed, and shel.. read more
Hello, Carl. This is good dad work.
We are our choices. :)

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

your words ring out with a difficult truth. it takes a heart and conscience to see, not just eyes.

Philipians 2:3-4 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."

“He who gives himself entirely to his fellow-men appears to them useless and selfish; but he who gives himself partially to them is pronounced a benefactor and philanthropist.” - Thoreau



Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

10 Months Ago

in other words, those who are too good to others are viewed suspiciously as having ulterior motives .. read more
carl

10 Months Ago

thank you so interesting. when I first read it in you comment i thought < "that sounds sarcastic" I .. read more
Pete

10 Months Ago

i agree that it could be interpreted as sarcasm but from what i know about him he was a salt-of-the-.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 29, 2023
Last Updated on June 29, 2023

Author

carl
carl

MO



About
I am a retired English grammar and literature teacher, married, with five grown children. I enjoy reading science fiction, fantasy, biographies, and nonfiction history and philosophy. I have a BFA in .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..