Chapter 5: Sagan-Seven and Stall the Awoken

Chapter 5: Sagan-Seven and Stall the Awoken

A Chapter by Eugenio Rodriguez
"

Two warlocks seeking knowledge end up getting more than they bargained for.

"

                Ishtar Academy used to be a flourishing spring of knowledge and scholars. Libraries filled to the brim with 20 pound encyclopedias, novels, charts of the galaxy and beyond. Scholars could write 100 page theses on the color purple, and its implications. The Traveler ushered in a Golden age of Information, with scientific discoveries that should have taken centuries to find, figured out in mere days. All this knowledge was lost to the Great Collapse, as Venus was overrun by the darkness. The Fallen, a scavenger race, have packs scattered all around Ishtar, waiting to ambush whatever knowledge seeking guardians visit.

                “According to Daruvius Fie, the color of space and time itself is purple….” Stall turned the pages of a very hefty textbook “Just…pages and pages…proving the color of space and time is purple…” Stall raised an eyebrow. He was a young Warlock, with blue skin, and shiny black hair, and glowing orange eyes, all common traits of an Awoken. Like his mentor, Stall is a seeker of knowledge and truth, but he isn’t as open minded as him.

                “Add it to the pile, I’m interested in what Fie has to say.” Exclaimed Sagan-7 as he sat atop a ladder, and rolled down the aisle. Sagan was an aged Exo unit of unknown make. He had gold plating, and very bright blue eyes. The number seven was printed on his forehead. He knows everything there is to know about Sunsinging, Arc Conducting, and Voidwalking, all of the very few Warlock arts that survived the Collapse. But he feels that his light is fading. Sagan is centuries old, and the Traveler’s light that created him, isn’t what it used to be. Concerned about the knowledge he’s amassed, he took on a pupil, Stall. The two have been inseperable.

                Stall rolled his eyes, as the tossed the heavy book into a cart that was already overflowing with books. “The cryptarchs just sent us to scout the Academy…do you think we’ve taken too long to respond?” said Stall, as he stretched.

                “They wanted us to find out if there was Vex activity in the academy… and there is.” He paused “Because we aren’t barbarians, we’ve managed to evade their presence. As long as we do not disrupt the confluxes, we should be safe. And should we meet any Vex, we are two, very skilled, very dangerous gentlemen. If they don’t think we can take care of ourselves…then I am honestly offended.” Sagan said, without looking up from his book. “We will return to the tower, with the information they want, and the information that we want.” said Sagan, punctually.

                “If you say so, I just know they’re going to send someone if we take too long…and it’ll be….awkward.” muttered Stall, as he scanned the row of books on the shelf, a book with bronze binding caught his eye

                “It’s only been what…a couple hours? They won’t send anyone for another day or two.” Said Sagan, very confidently, and totally oblivious to the amount of time had passed since the two entered the library.

                Stall put his finger on top of the book’s spine, and tried taking it out of the bookshelf. But it appeared stuck “What the…” questioned Stall, as it peaked his curiosity. Using both hands, he tried pulling the book off the shelf, but to no avail.

                “I hear grunting…reading isn’t supposed to be a strenuous exercise Stall.” sassed Sagan.

                “It’s this book…It won’t come out of the shelf” Stall wheezed, as he started taking out all books adjacent to the one binded in bronze, with no struggle. It was only this stubborn book that refused to budge.

                “Interesting…I’ll come take a look” said Sagan, as he slid down the ladder, and started making his way to Stall.

                Stall took a closer look at the spine of the book, there was some grime covering it. He wiped it off with his thumb, the spine appeared to be made out of metal, but it was very malleable. “That’s strange…”

                “Move.” ordered Sagan, as he shoved Stall, he took a look at the binding and ran his finger along the spine. His eyes widened.

                “Well? What do you make of it?” asked Stall.

                “This book…is binded with the skin of the Vex…” said Sagan, marveled at the craftsmanship of the book.

                “Can you get it off the shelf?” inquired Stall.

                “It’s not a matter of if…” Sagan paused “It’s should…”

                Stall raised an eyebrow “No…There is no way that you just said that”

                “I mean it…forget that book and move on” barked Sagan

                “No way, you got the hundred page book about the color purple, I’m gonna get the book bound in Vex skin” declared Stall.

                “That’s because the color purple won’t get us killed…” said Sagan, as he turned around.

                Stall glared at Sagan, as he looked at the book binded in Vex skin. He cracked his fingers as he approached the book again, counter to Sagan’s wishes. “The color purple won’t get us killed…pffft” mocked Stall, as he placed both his hands on the book. He began to pull with all his might. “He loves the color purple so much why doesn’t he marry it…” muttered Stall, as he could feel the stubborn book inch a bit. He took a deep breath, and placed one leg on the shelf, for slack. The book started inching more and more, until it started to creep over the shelf. “If this is just a cookbook I’m going to be so pissed” groaned Stall, very audibly, as the book was nearly halfway off the shelf.

                “STALL!” shouted a very angry Sagan, as he ran back, in an attempt to stop Stall, but it was too late.

                Stall had freed the book from the shelf, he looked at the cover of the book, where he was greeted by a red eye, that started to glow. Stall grinned. “Oh…hohohoho…..This is definitely not a cookbook…” said Stall as he held the book high.

                Sagan nearly tacked Stall, as he grabbed his shoulders “Are you alright?! Do you feel any murderous tendencies?” Sagan’s tone of voice was less angry and bitter, and more concerned.

                “I’m fine…I just…you know, checked out a book as all.” said Stall, satisfied with himself.

                Sagan breathed a sigh of relief, as he walked over to the railing. “Alright well…I think that’s enough books…we should get…..” Sagan paused, as he saw what appeared to be storm clouds appear in the middle of the library, an event that usually signals the arrival of Vex. “Going…”

                “Yeah…” said Stall, as he clenched the book, and drummed his fingers on the cover.

                Sagan turned his head to glare at Stall, and then at the book, and then back at Stall, he opened his mouth, like he was about to say something, but then he just closed his mouth,  he could not find the words that could accurately portray, how pissed he was.

 



© 2014 Eugenio Rodriguez


Author's Note

Eugenio Rodriguez
Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on December 8, 2014
Last Updated on December 8, 2014
Tags: fic, Destiny, exo, awoken, warlock, The Vault