Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Chapter by perfectlymetiKulous

 

 

“So, I called and spoke with Claudia. She called Ava, and she arranged for her jet to fly me out here.” Bailey said, back in the present, looking at me. “I hope it was okay.” Her eyes were thoughtful and tender. “It was just weird coming here, knowing that we were going to honeymoon here, and thinking of you here, without me.” I shrugged.
            “I didn’t even know if there would be a wedding, much less a honeymoon. You haven’t talked to me at all in three weeks.” I wanted my voice to sound stronger, more purposeful, but I was almost whimpering. “I just didn’t think that we would ever end up here, Bailey. It’s so crazy.” Bailey sprung to life, swinging her legs off the lounge chair so she could turn to fully face me. 
            “I could hardly understand it. I felt like I was going crazy with all that Desi stuff, and then I felt … empty without you. It felt all wrong: not talking to you, the date, everything. I felt like I was dying inside, Jay. Like my life was over because you weren’t in it. I don’t want to feel like that again.” She said, and then slid down off the lounge chair, next to me, on one knee. I gave off a little gasp, not unlike the first time that she’d proposed to me. She pulled out a box, and opened it. It was my same ring. I smiled through the tears. “I am not willing to lose you, Jaylen. Not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow. Not ever. Will you be my wife, again?” I saw that I wasn’t the only one with tears in their eyes. Just like before, Bailey was crying. I grabbed her and held her tightly.
            “Absolutely.” I said, without a doubt in my mind or my heart. My voice was as sure as I was. I wanted to be her wife.
 
            When we arrived back in Houston together, Bailey and I got to work. The wedding was rescheduled for as soon as Grier could fit it in, which was the following week. Being the consummate professional, although she was stressed to the hilt, she was making sure we relaxed. The day before the wedding, I had checked us into the hotel that we’d be having our reception in, in separate rooms on separate floors, and I was down at the spa, getting a massage. I had scheduled Bailey for one as well, but hadn’t seen her yet. 
            “Thanks.” I yawned. Massages always put me right to sleep. I had been so full of nervous energy that I welcomed the uninterrupted sleep. I walked back to the dressing room to change. 
            “I thought that was you.” She said to me right before I went inside the dressing room. I turned around and faced Desi. I wasn’t sure how I missed her. While everyone milled around in robes, Desi was wearing a vest, shorts and sandals. She raked her hand across her hair.
            “Funny running into you here.” I said dryly. “What are you doing here?” I asked. She shrugged, and motioned to the sitting area. 
            “Can we sit?” She asked. I nodded cautiously. “I came to talk to you.” She said as we sat.
            “Listen, Desi, I can’t stay. I have to go.” 
            “I know. You’re getting married tomorrow.” She said slowly. “Jaylen, I talked to Bailey.” 
            “I know that, Des. Of course I know that.” I told her. “You know that I know that, so what do you want?” 
            “I want you back in my life. In whatever way I can have you. I respect your relationship. I know you’re going to marry her. I know that we didn’t work. I just want you to be happy.” Desi was looking down when she said these things to me, her hands twisted together in her lap. Her vulnerability always seemed to touch me. 
            “I’d like us to be friends, Desi. I really would.” I said. She looked up at me, her eyes searching mine.
            “Really?” She asked. I nodded.
            “I think it would be great.” I said firmly. “As a matter of fact, you should come to the wedding tomorrow.” Desi’s face lurched.
            “No. I don’t think so. I want you in my life, but I don’t think I am quite ready to handle watching you marry somebody else.”
            “Well, the reception then. Free drinks, a party… how can you say no?” I lightly teased, and touched her hands. She drew back quickly.
            “Easily. It’s the same day, you in the white dress, the being married to someone that’s not me. I’ll pass.” She said. I shook my head.
            “Desi, you know, regardless of if you see it, it’s still happening, right?” She looked back down, and nodded slowly.
            “Yeah, I know. I’m happy for you.” Standing without looking at me, she leant down and kissed me quite close to my mouth. “I’m happy for the two of you. Maybe we can start this friendship thing some other time. I’m going to go now, get out of your space. Take care, Jaylen. Good luck.” Her voice was somewhat muted, filled with emotion. “I love you, kiddo. You always deserved better. I’m glad she’s giving you what you deserve.” Desi’s eyes met mine one final time, and then she turned and walked away without another word.
 
            The next day was utter mayhem, as expected. After the makeup artist, the hairstylist and Grier, I didn’t think I could take one more person fawning over me, but fawn they did. I got the makeup artist off me thanks for Claud, who cried like crazy and had to constantly get her makeup repaired. One of my other bridesmaid, Lela Marshall-Pierce, managed to give me some breathing room because her little girl, Brooke, was a flower girl like Jada, and needed to be tended to. Lela’s wife, Gavin, was standing up with Bailey. Robyn was my other bridesmaid, and she was tearful as well. Adrienne, Grier’s wife, would be escorting Robyn down the aisle. Claudia had insisted from the beginning that she walk down the aisle alone. And finally, after hours that flew by like minutes, we were ready. Bailey, Gavin and Adrienne had long since departed the hotel, and now our limo was downstairs, awaiting us. Everyone noisily filed out until the only people left were me and Claudia. She looked absolutely breathtaking in her pale pink gown. 
            “Jaylen.” She said, and her eyes filled with tears. “You look so… perfect. Like a fairy princess. Like one of Jada’s dolls.” She said and laughed. 
            “Claud. You’ve gotta stop this crying.” I admonished her gently. She nodded. 
            “I know. I just am so happy for you. I really am. So very happy.” We hugged, and just held onto each other. “I don’t want to cry on your dress.” I had felt her wiping her tears from my bare shoulder quickly. “Grier would kill me if I got mascara on your dress. Come on. Let’s go.” She extended her hand, and I took it. We walked down the hall to the elevator and out of the lobby to the waiting car hand in hand.
            The ceremony was even lovelier than I could have imagined it to be. I thought I’d be nervous when I made my way to the doorway, to walk down the aisle, but I wasn’t. I hadn’t felt so sure about anything in my life. I felt like I was floating, walking into a dream. The room was absolutely perfect, the flowers beautiful and fragrant, and Bailey, who wore a perfectly tailored tuxedo, looked gorgeous. Amidst the smiling faces in the crowd, I managed to see one who stood out: Liz. She smiled and mouthed, ‘I love you.’ and I smiled in return. Bailey and I had simple vows we’d written for each other, and while Claudia had heard them before, it didn’t stop her from almost bursting into loud sobs, which prompted an almost-laugh from Ava, who watched on from the front row with laughing eyes. When we walked back down the aisle, Ava got up and joined her crying girlfriend. The wedding was over, and I was Mrs. Jaylen Wallace-Price. We made our way to the crowd, and we were finally alone. Claudia promised to get her niece to the reception, but I was nervous as to whether or not she’d ever collect herself enough to make it there herself. 
            “Pretty nice, huh?” Bailey asked as we settled into the limo to head back to the hotel. She looked at me and then at my ring, which was even bigger and more beautiful than the last. 
            “Totally remarkable.” I said, and leaned over and kissed her. She grinned.
            “How do you feel?” She asked, and examined my face as we sat opposite each other. I took her hand and met her eyes.
            “Totally remarkable.” I said and kissed her again. “Like everything is perfect. Like everything is just as it should be.” She squeezed my hand in response, and kissed me back.
            “Me too.” We pulled up in front of the hotel and got out. Jada met us in the lobby with Ava. 
            “Mommy!” She yelled and threw herself at me. “Aunt Claudia won’t stop crying.” She complained. “I’m going to come with you and Bailey.” Bailey reached down and scooped Jada up and took my hand. We walked into the reception together. Our perfect little family.
 
 


© 2009 perfectlymetiKulous


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

*Sniffles* It was all so beautiful!
It was so good - My eyes are seriously watering right now
:( You're so good you're making me want to be all mushy


Posted 13 Years Ago


Really enjoyed that it was great! Well done!!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


*claps*
encore, encore!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is excellent. You are in the vernacular, " writin' fool." I have to go back an reread all of the prior chapters to check the flow and coherence.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 22, 2009
Last Updated on June 22, 2009


Author

perfectlymetiKulous
perfectlymetiKulous

In The Great State of, TX



About
good morning (and if i don't see you again) good afternoon/good evening and good night: for all interested parties - my name is Dana. i'm a sagittarius, if that means anything at all to you. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..