Four: Lies and Pretence

Four: Lies and Pretence

A Chapter by MaryP

“Andria, I didn’t know you were doing the project with Alice and Rachel as well.” Helen said appraising the bag slung over my shoulder. I nodded, I wasn’t a convincing liar at the best of times and now I didn’t even want to lie. “Well okay have fun, make sure you’re not up too late you’ve got school tomorrow, I don’t know why it couldn’t have waited till Friday…” Helen carried on but Alice had already dragged me out the door. On the way to Rachel’s house Alice put even more make up on and rolled her skirt about half an inch higher.

               “Alice if you roll that skirt any higher it’s gonna disappear.” I said disapprovingly. She stuck her tongue out at me.

“Wait till you see Ben, then you’ll understand.” She grinned at me then knocked on the door loudly because some club music was blaring from the top floor. I looked at the front of the house. I was surprised at the size, it was huge. A large bay window dominated the face of the house. The troughs hanging out of the high windows were filled with colourful flowers that clashed with the white walls. Rachel leaned out of the top window letting the music stream freely into the streets.

“Hey, you two! One second.” She turned back into the house, “BEN GET THE DOOR!” She shut the window and about two minutes later the front door opened.

               A boy about three inches taller than me was standing there. His dark brown, almost black, hair was stuck up messily but it was obvious (well at least to me) that he’d spent a lot of time on it. He was good looking in that obvious, try-hard kind of way. Once I’d stopped scrutinizing his face I looked lower and realised that he wasn’t wearing a top just a pair of baggy grey tracksuit bottoms. I couldn’t help but stare, he had the kind of muscles that boys everywhere would have envied. He realised I was staring and grinned smugly, I blushed and followed Alice into the living room. Rachel was running down the stairs with a towel wrapped around her head and a skimpy dressing gown on.

               “Rachel go and put some clothes on.” Ben said without even looking in her direction. Rachel glared at her older brother, but spoke to him like he hadn’t said anything, “When’s your mates getting here?”

“In about hour so you better be dressed by then.” He answered switching the telly on- football.

“An hour, as in sixty minutes?” Rachel asked frantically. Ben just nodded without looking away from the telly. I sat down on the sofa and started watching the game. Rachel looked like she was about to hyperventilate. I wondered mutely whether she was being dramatic or really was that shallow, Alice attempted to sooth her by rubbing her arm so I decided it was the latter. They walked out of the room and I stood up to follow them.

“Andie you hardly ever where make-up. How you going to help me and Rach get dressed?” Rachel giggled, then Alice continued, “I’ll call you in about half an hour and we’ll get you dressed okay?”

“I can dress myself Alice” I said, why was everyone assuming I was so helpless today?

“Yeah I know.” She walked out of the room and I sat back down, figuring it out. I was annoyed by how slow I was being, obviously they wanted to do stuff that Alice didn’t want me around for.

               “Hey. I’m Ben, you alright?” He asked looking away from the football match just for a second to smile at me. I nodded and knowing an awkward silence was on its way, I started a random conversation the way only I can. I pointed at the little football player on the screen.

“I thought he was injured,” I asked not even sure if I’d got the right team, let alone the right player.

“Yeah he was. He had an operation, done some extra training and he was back playing about a month after he was injured.” I nodded and he grinned at me, “So a girl that knows about football. You don’t see that every day.” I blushed.

“Football is always on the television it’s kind of hard to ignore it.” I attempted a joke.

“True but most girls would just go out, with mates or a boyfriend..?” He turned the last word into a question.

“I don‘t have one.” I answered as quietly as possible. He nodded obviously thinking about something, “But I’m fifteen so..” He obviously heard but chose to ignore me.

               “Rachel’s constantly got new boyfriends.” He said. I’m not sure whether he was trying to embarrass me into getting a boyfriend, accusing his sister or convincing himself.

“I’m not really like that,” He looked offended, possibly shocked. I quickly backtracked, “not that there’s anything wrong with that it’s just…” He laughed.

“Don’t worry. Its fine” He grinned and winked at me then was engrossed in the game again. From the top of the stairs Alice screamed down “Andria we’re ready now. Come on. Hurry up!” I jumped off of the sofa.

“If you need any help just let me know,” I just blushed. What was wrong with me? Some girls would have been flattered others would have been offended. I just stayed silent. I was in need of some serious help. When I reached the top of the stairs Alice was waiting for me. She had curlers in her hair and waqs wearing a tight, strapless dress that ended halfway down her thigh. I shook my head but she ignored me. She grabbed me by my arm and pulled me into what I guessed was Rachel’s room.



© 2010 MaryP


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on December 26, 2010
Last Updated on December 26, 2010


Author

MaryP
MaryP

United Kingdom



About
If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing - Benjamin Franklin I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they .. more..

Writing
Clifftop Clifftop

A Poem by MaryP