prologue: Goodbye saphire

prologue: Goodbye saphire

A Chapter by dark_angel

 

 

 

 

*London, end of the sixteenth century. The day of the near extinction of witches and the arrival of the Tribunal.*

 

             I remember it all as if it was yesterday. I was sitting at my bed-side table humming a song while sewing a dress for my new doll. “Sapphire,” called father “Where’s Daphne?” I went to the stairs and yelled “I don’t know papa, I haven’t seen her all day.” Then I returned to my room, so I could finish the dress. All of a sudden, I heard a terrified scream come from the living room. As I ran down the stairs to see what happened, I saw my older sister Daphne Elizabeth Payne standing in the doorway. Her fair skin was pale with fear and she was drenched in blood. “Mother, Father, Sapphire! We must leave now! There are witch hunters in town. It’s a bloody massacre, they’re killing everyone!”

Then, as if the flames of hell were licking at our heels, we ran for the back door, broom-sticks in hand and took flight. After what seemed like a never ending flight, we landed at the outskirts of town. I remember Father turned to Daphne and embraced her as he whispered something in her ear. He then turned and explained to us that he and mother were going to look for survivors. Little did I know that was the last time I’d see my parents alive.

Days, weeks went by, but there was no sign of mother or father. Living off only the few essentials Daphne was able to acquire before leaving home. "Do you believe mama and papa are alright" I asked Daphne. "I don't know; let’s just hope that they’ll come back to us safely,” she replied when we both heard a rustling coming from the bushes. "Who's there?" Daphne shrieked. A young man with hair as black as the night sky came forth and wept before us on his knees. "Thank-goodness I’ve found you two. I’ve been looking everywhere for you". He then introduced himself, he claimed to be one of the few survivors mother and father had found. He said that our parents told him our location and also asked him to protect us. He then proceeded to tell us that the Tribunal had taken control of Britain and that we need to flee the country as fast as possible. "So now that you’re our 'protector' what is your name sir?" Daphne asked sarcastically. "My name is Gabriel". "Well Gabriel, do you have any provisions?"

He emptied his satchel to show me and my sister, he had about two weeks’ worth of food, medicine, quilts, two handguns, and an underground map of Britain. "Does that count as provisions?" He asked both of us nodded and then we were off on our way.

 

                                   About an hour or two later, we realized we had went in one huge circle. "Gabriel, what’s the meaning of this, Where are you taking us?!" Then, in the distance I saw two men emerge from the dense fog that surrounded the forest. The men wore black cloaks with a red dagger embroidered on them, and each man carried a large burlap sack. "I’m not taking you anywhere ladies,” Gabriel laughed. “..I’m turning you over to the tribunal". "RUN," Daphne screamed and we both ran into the surrounding fog that led to the forest. The Tribunal hunters released their blood hounds to catch us. When we were positive we had lost them, Daphne led me to the clearing in the center of the forest. "Sapphire I swore to mother and father I would protect you, no matter what. This is the only way I can ensure your safety”. She said in a quiet voice as she began to lay out materials. “What are you talking abo...” I paused when I saw her place mother’s ceremonial dagger on the ground beside her along with an odd emerald green potion. I then saw her take the dagger and slice her palm open, as her blood spilled into the potion and it turned an ice-blue that I’d seen once before. “..NO! Daphne I’m not leaving you behind!” I screamed at her. “I’m so sorry sapphire; just know I’m doing this for your own good.” She said quietly then began the incantation. “Take this girl far away, through the void of time and space, where she’ll be forever safe, from this nightmarish dream.” The air around me began to shimmer, and I began to disappear. “NO,” I screamed. “I love you little sister, goodbye my dear sapphire,” Daphne called as I slowly vanished. Right then Gabriel and the hounds found her. Gabriel grabbed Daphne’s arm and she went willingly with him to join the other hunters. Hoping to see mother and father again, even if it was to be the last time…



© 2014 dark_angel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on July 28, 2011
Last Updated on January 31, 2014


Author

dark_angel
dark_angel

MD



About
i sing and dance. and of course i write. Music Playlist at MixPod.com more..

Writing
Imaginary Imaginary

A Poem by dark_angel


Gone Gone

A Poem by dark_angel