My Sisters and Brothers

My Sisters and Brothers

A Poem by Barbara Walker
"

A little of what they have given me

"
My sisters and brothers will always be a part of my heart,
no matter if we are far apart.
My sisters helped to make me, ME
and so did my brothers, Brian and Lee.

They've seen me age over the years,
they have shared my joys and shared my tears.
Brian taught me, to care for someone small
and Sue taught me, to share my ball.

Janie taught me, how to make cookie dough.
Lee taught me, to shoot a bow.
Brian taught me, about the interest rate.
Lee taught me, to use a worm for bait.

Janie taught me, to ride a horse
and clean out its stall, of course!
Sue taught me, it's fun to bake a cake.
Janie taught me, how to skate.

Brian taught me, it's okay to be smart
and Lee taught me, how to throw a dart.
I learned to drive, by watching Lee,
from Janie, I learned to run from a bee.

From Lee, I learned to bounce on a bed.
Janie taught me, animals have to be fed.
Sue taught me that being part of a pair,
is extra special and rare.

I think that you'll agree,
they all taught me that love is the key.

© 2013 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

a beautiful poem for your brother and your sisters. Best days of life are spend with the family. I need to make time. Always good to read your amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
I wonder at times what my own siblings did to contribute to my personality.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dear Barbara,

This is a special poem, I know. Family! How precious. For many this is not so. How special for those of us that have this loving experience. This was not the case for my wife, but it was the case for me. We are so lucky. Cherish this undeserved and special wealth that we have so fortunately experienced.

All my best wishes and extend my love to your brothers and sisters!

Rick

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dear Barbara

My turn, in response to your endlessly detailed, kind and helpful reviews of 'Split'.

So I picked this off the top of your list.

I can see a pattern in your reviews of my writing in 'Split' (and please do keep them up) which is an overview of 'feeling' combined with the detail of script.

Perhaps because bipolar or because of who I am and how much I have seen of life (too much?) my reviews can vary depending on how I feel - simply my emotional response to a piece or the strict grammarian.

But whatever they may be, I do hope they serve some purpose. They help, in their balance, rather than hinder the writer.

The problem is of course for me distinguishing between the definition of bipolar and the normality of human response.

Enough!

To your poem and as it comes, this time an emotional response from the heart.

There is something very beguiling and innocent about this piece.

As if you are leaving yourself wide open as a receiver of guidance and in its appreciation.

Something that speaks of the innocent eyes of childhood reflected upon now as an adult in maturity.

At no point do you share what you offered your sisters and brothers.

I wonder why?

Well the answer is obviously because that is not the purpose of this piece.

But if it is not the purpose of this piece, do you ever reflect on the benefits you have brought and bring to others?

There is a pleasant gentle feel to this poem, where I (just as one reviewer) can see a person who wishes to learn and appreciates that she has been taught and by whom.

Without plunging into detail, as I can, I see a warm hearted soul in you.

Perhaps to be able to observe kindness in others, one needs to be kind oneself.

There is something of self-denial in this piece.

But if that is so, it only goes to demonstrate there is a quality to your persona, which the reader cannot deny.

In as much as this poem tells me about your view of others, it tells me in equal measure if not more about you.

No detail here, but as a piece, with its delicate rhymes and structure, its endless catalogue of lessons learned in life, gifted by your brothers and sisters, I was charmed.

A softly lulling and giving piece where you offer us as much as readers, as your brothers and sisters gave to you.

With, as ever, all due respect and my warmest regards

Your friend

James

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

11 Years Ago

Thank you James for a very insightful, kind review. Though, you're right, this piece is about what .. read more
I love this Nice one!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
And love IS the key..the ultimate key to a happy life

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

11 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 28, 2013
Last Updated on March 28, 2013

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Poem 3.14 Poem 3.14

A Poem by Belle