Chapter 1: Off the mountain

Chapter 1: Off the mountain

A Chapter by FriedRyce

A clear blue sky hanging over their head the two found themselves outside the mountains thick forest, a clear hilly plain spanning the area before them, bushes and trees sparsely scattered . A bright smile plastered across Dipps face as he notices a dirt road leading towards a silhouette of a large city“ Look oliver, that road goes straight toward the city”. “Yes Master, it does” Giving a dignified answer as he follows his exstatic master.


Like a child he runs down the hill,  as he waits for his companion to catch up he closes his eyes spreads his arms out, soaking in the rolling plains winds as it brushes against his fur. “Master look out!” Oliver yells loudly, the confused Dipp turns around flukely avoiding an arrow, as he looks to where it came from a small group of bandits like men chase after a plump old man well dressed.


Dipp didn[‘t even think twice before he rushed over to the bandits blade in hand.  “Leave that man alone!” He yells as he rushes towards them, the plump man sees Dipp and flees in his direction. Another arrow nocked, the wind whistling as it narrowly avoids the small Dipp, chills run down his spin as the arrow narrowly avoided him again.


Dipps mind began to flood with doubt as  two men charged him, he wasn’t large or skilled with a blade, these thoughts loope in his mind until the blade was atop his head, as the sword came down he realised although they were larger than him they didn't know how to use swords either. Side stepping the downward strike he retaliated by jumping should high with the man, plunging the blade into his chest. The bandit falling backwards with a loud thud, the archer watching in disbelief as he comrad fell to such a small creature frantically fired another arrow, his shaky hands making it miss its target significantly. “What the s**t are you doing John! Land a bloody arrow you idiot!” The other remaining swordsmen yelled towards his comrade.  Completely distracted by the small creature the swordsmen was shocked as a blow out of nowhere smashed into his cheek, surprised he sees a well built old man on top of him reading another strike, grabbing his dagger he smiles and quickly stabs the old man in the stomach, but to his disbelief the punch continues, followed by another, and another until the bandit can no longer struggle.


The bandits hands shaking uncontrollably as he sees in the corner of his eye his friend tacked by an old man, dropping his bow, he grabs draws his dagger and steadies himself for the raccoon rushing towards him wielding his friends old sword. He legs shaking as he wanted to run but knew the guards would hang him for his crimes stood his crime. Quickly the racoons closed the gap, holding the shortsword too large for his body. As Dipp took a step forward slashing diagonally wildly the archer instinctively tried to blade the blade,his small dagger losing in a battle of weight, until the shortsword found itself slicing into the man's side. The pain causing him to crumble to the floor in agony.


Dropping the blade Dipp looked down at his hands clenching his fists,he’d just murdered people, he hadn't second guessed it at the time but as the air cooled down he quickly realise the sinister notion of killing someone so easily. As his mind delved deeper into the idea a sudden shock filled his body as a hand touched his shoulder. “Thank you, truly from the bottom of my heart I cannot thank you enough!” Hearing the mans gratitude soothed his mind, a small once again reappearing on Dipps face as his heart was warmed by the old man thanks, “Don’t worry, but are you okay?”.


“Yes yes, I’m used to bandits somewhat as a trader but times like this are always make it hard to want to stay in this profession” but more importantly are you okay?” The plump man asked the pair. “Both Master Dipp and I seem fine, more importantly although it may seem rash Master Dipp has saved you life. I do hope you intend to repay his mercifulness” Dipps eyes widened as he heard the sudden words from his companion Oliver. “No, no it’s okay we don’t need anything!” He quickly said. “Hush now, you’ve done a great deed and deserve a reward. Follow me to my caravan, we can inform the guards of the bandits along with give you a just reward!” Gesturing for them to follow him as he stops talking. After a few minutes of walking Dipp and Oliver found themselves at a large market, stalls and caravans gathered along the road to the city gate. Peddlers waiting for entry into the large city walls fell to their desire spending their change buying food and rations from the many merchants. “Welcome to my guild, the short fellows, a collection of small time merchants under a single umbrella as they try to make their way to profit, and this here is my caravan” As he finished his speech explaining the guild to the pair he stood before an extravagant caravan, longer and larger than many of the others set up around it. As they followed him inside the space seemingly opened as they realised how much larger than their caravans it truly was. Dipps eyes widened in amazement as he looked over the walls of coats and jackets hanging for sale. “Are you two heading into the city?”, “Yeah,I’m sure what we’ll do but we need to earn money in their somehow” Dipp said honestly, he wasn’t sure how people normally earned money in such a big city but his mind raced with grand ideas.

“Well, I’m not sure if you’ll get the chance, those raggidy outfits you two are wearing are worn and tattered. I’m not sure what you’ve been through but you have the appearance of homeless people, good thing you came to me. I can help with that!” He proclaimed as he clapped. Two tall and lanky men well dressed and well groomed walked into the caravan taps and materials in hand, a person each they began measuring sizing and holding materials up to them. “Yes, we can make something work for sure” One of them said as he measured Dipp up. Oliver stood still, arms wide and letting the man do his job easily and without hassle. “Oh ho, this isn't your first time huh, you must be someone important to be this used to it” The other man said checked garments on Oliver. “I simply used to serve someone important but now I serve master Dipp, that's all” He said slowly, aaa bout appearing in his lip as he spoke about his past master. ‘I’ll leave these two clients two you, I must quickly deal with a matter, touch them up however. Their bill is on me” He said as he waddled out the door.


Quickly Oliver was measured and fitted in a well fitted dark suit, watching as Dipp struggled to act eloquently, squirming  as they tried several different outfits on him, eventually the pair sat down sighing heavily as Dipp appeared looking formal and well refined in a tidy and well fitting suit vest. As the pair satisfied by Dipps appearance took a moment to catch their breath after their hardest client.


The caravans bell dingged as the merchant from before made his way back inside. “Oh you two are still here, with these two I would have thought you’d be done by now, nevertheless. I have your rewards for you” He said as opened his jacket pulling out two small purses of coins. “Fifty Ap pieces” he said ask he flicked a coin to Dipp, surprised he frantically stumbled trying to catch, after struggling to hold the coin he looks at it in confusion. “What is it, we only trade in resources in my village,” he said in confusion. “Hat is an Ap piece, made from copper and stamped with the symbol of an apple to symbolise the farms and workers who are the foundation of the kingdom” Oliver informed his master.


“Oh ho, your smart, not many people know that little fact bit, also I’ve informed the guards and handled the situation. The matters been resolved so no need to worry a hair.. or fur” he chuckled to himself as he made the pun, while sitting down behind the counter. “Is this alot Oliver?” He asked curiously as he held the bags. “For common workers it’s a decent sum and should help us start our journey, now we should head into the city and sort out an inn, what do you say Master Dipp?”. “Your right, Okay thanks for the outfits and money!” He said as he hurried out the door, Oliver giving a small bow towards the merchant before heading out following his master.


As the sun was nearing its end for the day the line of people entering and leaving the city was running low letting them rush their way to the front of the gates quickly. A large gatehouse stood before them, two knights in weight and blue armor stood tall. A female voice exude from the armor, “Halt, you two noblemen.Whats your purpose here in Zink?”. ‘We’re not nobles, we’re just on a journey, I guess we're here to earn money so we can continue our adventure?” Dipp said confidently towards the much taller than him tight. The knight hearing the Dipps explanation was lost for words, putting it down to a cultural thing she sighed. “What ever, but be careful with their aren't too many Forrestfolk running around in the city. Oh!, also if you need some money I think the adventurers hub can help you” she said as she and her partner moved aside for them to enter the city of Zink. “Thank you, I’ll keep an eye out for this Adventurer Hub thing” Dipp said as he smiled brightly.Slowly Dipp walked through the dark tunnel of the gatehouse, as he left the shadows of the tunnel the brimming light of the buildings filled his vision, a bustling road full of houses and lanterns covered his eyesight. The ground beneath them ss cobbled with basic irrigation put into the sides, Dipp’s eyes expanded in disbelief of the eye catching city.


“This place is amazing Oliver, there's so many lights and people!” He filled with childlike joy as he took in his surroundings.



© 2020 FriedRyce


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I didn't read any of this. I just think your name's f*****g hilarious.

Posted 4 Years Ago


FriedRyce

4 Years Ago

As long as you had a good time that's all that matters.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

12 Views
1 Review
Added on November 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 2, 2020


Author

FriedRyce
FriedRyce

Australia



About
Hi their, that's right, I’m an amataur writter that isn’t too bright but hopes to improve eventually. If your ever reading any stories I make take a second and comment any errors I make. T.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3- Zink Chapter 3- Zink

A Chapter by FriedRyce