Chapter 6: Pitter patter

Chapter 6: Pitter patter

A Chapter by FriedRyce
"

Dipps, a small raccoon like creature finds himself in a graveyard after mysteriously dying, although he isn't quiet sure who he is he's detimined to find out his past and make a new life for himself i

"
Dipp finds himself in one of the villager's homes. A hard bed underneath him,Oliver sitting next to him watching over his mater as he rested. "Good morning master Dipp…" He says softly as Dipp looks around the room confused. "Are you able to stand Master?" He asked as he stood ready to support his short master out of the bed.

Giving his servant a nod he staggers out of the bed, physically exhausted he looks over his body, the wounds he gained through battle had faded. The gashes and cuts littering his body were nonexistent, surprised by the healing of his wounds he takes a step forward only for the reality of his bodies physical condition to sink in, although he looked healed and recovered his body ached all over from exhaustion.  Painfully he steps slowly towards the door. As he opens the rickety wooden door to the outside Dipp quickly sees the villagers that fell in battle walking around like usual, as if nothing had happened. A villager carrying a large piece of wood stopped as he saw Dipp standing outside.

Tears begin to well up from the creature as he sees his savour, "Thank you so much, You've given us all a second chance and we cannot thank you enough!" He says loudly as he bows his head in gratitude dropping the wood he was carrying. Others hearing the commotion head over to thank their savour as well, tears flowing from them all as they bow their heads in thanks. As the undead villagers lowered their heads A small group of children walked over Dipp, holding a handmade reef for their small savour. "Thank you for saving my daddy!, one of the small girls said passing Dipp the reef" The girls holding tears as they passed Dipp the present, quickly running off before their emotions got the better of them. "Thank you but all i did was give you a second chance…" Unsure of what to say Dipp looks towards his companion Oliver hoping he'll know the right words.

With a nod towards his short master, Oliver steps forward looking to the villagers gathered. 

"I'm sure you are all happy at the moment but with this second chance comes the price of undeath. Although you may never tire, never starve, you'll become ostracized around the world. Use the second chance you've been given to build yourself a safe haven from the outside world!, protect those you hold dear and never lose those you love again!" Oliver says passionately, Oliver's eyes widened as the inspirational speech that seemingly came out of nowhere moved him greatly.

Cheers followed the speech as they knew what they had to do, "One day the outside world will learn of you and this place and I hope you've taken or suggestions for when that day comes" He said coldly as he slowly walked away. Dipp surprised quickly scurries after his companion. "Oliver wasnt that last bit a little cold?" He asked his companion. "They've become undead, they'll receive cold eyes and words from everyone that finds out what they are, if I'd said only nice and cheerful things the reality of their situation may have never hit them, now they may act and protect themselves" Dipp nodding as he began to understandOlivers line of thinking more and more. "Oliver when will we leave for Zinc?" Dipp asked curiously. A cold expression covered Oliver's face as he heard the question. "Master… Look at me, I've got grotesque wounds all over me.. I'll never blend in with humans like this…" Dipps heart sank as he heard these words, he couldn't picture himself in the big world all by himself. "Can't we cover you up and hide you a little… Plenty of the adventure people in Zinc were covered head to toe.." 

As Dippp and Oliver spoke an elderly man walked over to the pair, "I'm sorry for intruding but I think we may be able to help you… come with me for a moment" He spoke politely as he gestured for the two to follow him back to his home. After a short amount of time they found themselves in the old mans small house, "I've served as mayor in this town for a long time and seen a lot of people come and go through here. Not long before you two arrived a doctor came through here, He obviously wasn't a very good doctor since he passed away here. If you wish to hide yourself his outfit may work perfectly for you". He says as he rummaged through a chest pulling out the deceased doctors clothing. "We were planning to sell it with the next haul of food but hopefully it works well for you" Oliver nodded in agreement as he grabbed the dead man's clothes, in a normal occasion he'd never wear the clothes of the dead but since crossing the barrier of life and death such issues were of little importance to him. "Please  excuse me while I get presentable Master" Oliver says as he sneaks away to change into his new attire. 

With Oliver gone for the moment the elderly mayor looked towards the rdent creature that was Dipp with immense gratitude. "You've really done a lot here today little one, you've done more for this village then I ever could in my life time, when you return here one day I hope for you to become my successor and lead this town" Dipps stood in surprise as the old man spoke, unsure of the reason behind his thinking. "I'm sorry but I don't think I'm suitable at all…" He said in a mouse like tone. "Nonsense, your the savour of the village and the future of these people. You might be lacking at the moment but as someone that won't age or fall to illness you'll eventually learn how to rule, along with your devoted servant Mr Oliver you are the perfect successor I could ask for" He said in a sweet voice as he filled the small creatures ears with praise. "Okay, When we return again I'll think about it more" He said confidently with a joyful smile.

"Master, I'm ready is there anything else you need before we depart?" Oliver said as he returned to the pair, wearing a plague doctor mask and robes. "If your dressed and covered I guess we can leave right away?" He asked curiously. "Well, hopefully you return soon, good luck on your adventure" The old man said patting Dipp on the shoulder as he walked out the room leaving the two alone. "Well, than master lets get ready and return back to Zinc" He said confidently smiling ready to head out into the world with his master.
As the two walked through the town they said they good byes to the undead villages as they passed them on the street. A small crowd gathering as they began to leave the village, The crowd waving ecstatically as there's hero's walked off into the distance.

"Mayor Elm, what do we do while there gone?" A villager asked curiously as Dipp and Oliver left there sight treading off into the distance. "We need to protect this village, those able will start building a wall around the village so something like this can't happen again" The elderly mayor said passionately as he spoke to the village. "Yes!, Uh we'll start that right away!" Stuttering as he spoke, surprised by the sudden words of the mayor.

After walking tirelessly through the pair quickly found themselves  in front of the Large city of zink, the towering gatehouse they entered and left from already seemed as impressive as ever as they lined up to enter the large city. To their surprise the two knights in extravagant white and blue armor weren't on guarding the gatehouse, in their place wastwo young guards wearing simple leather armor and holding basic spears to defend themselves. As the line moved forward the guards raise their hands stopping them were they stood.

"Stop, what reason are you here in Zink" One of the guards asked menacingly."We're adventurers we finished a quest in the village of Tyke and are here to hand it in" Dip said to the guard. "THat explains your outfits, you adventurers always dress so weirdly, can't you just wear normal armor for once.. Well I guess your outfit isn't enough to stop you coming in" The guard says his voice of disdain.  "So, what happened to the two large knights that were guarding here last few times" Dipp asked curiously completely ignoring the guards subtle insults and disdain.
"The Blue Diamonds were only on duty here for a few days, they've already left to right in the war against the Belmont Empire" He face scrunching as he thought about the Belmont Empire. "There's a war going on?, I didn't know at all" Dipp says clulessly, the two guards face tightening as they heard the idiotic words of Dipp. "How do you even… you know what just move your holding the line!" The guard says frustrated by the stupidity of the creature in front of him.

"Why was he so angry… did we do something to upset him?" He asked as they walked through the gatehouse of the vibrant city into the bustling cobbled streets. "A common man like that forced to be a menial guard is simply venting his frustrations pay it no attention he's of no importance to you Master" Oliver says confidently as he attempts to raise his master's mind out of uncertainty. "I dunno about all that stuff but your might have a point, thanks Oliver" A smile smiling appearing on his face as he heard the words of praise from his companion.

"We should hurry to the adventurers hub before it's over crowded" Oliver says as he begins to pick up his walking pace. "Okay sounds like a good plan! Let's go" He says enthusiastic as they quickly walk down the street. As they rushed down the street they quickly found themselves before the large adventurers hub, a crowd had already gathered around inside was surrounding the quest boards. The burly man from last time manned the reception desk, giving the pair a friendly wave as he recognized the short Dipp. "Your back already, you guys were quick!" He said loudly to them as they approached his desk. "Yeah, we're here to hand in that quest,'' said excitedly. "Nio, worries. How'd did thequest go, did you scout out the issue so another team can deal with it easily?" He asked. "Not exactly, turns out it wasn't goblins in was a big group of ratfolk…" The man's eyes widened as he heard him mention the plague like ratfolk. "Okay since it's a little harder then goblins like we thought we'll need more information, do you know how many there were and what equipment they had?" He asked quickly with a worried tone filling his voice. "Actually… since they were attacking the village Oliver and me helped the villagers and defeated them" The burly man's eyes still surprised nodded constantly in shock. 'Wow, so well.. Um do you know how many there were at least for the report?" He asked. "Um, like 15ish somewhere around that mark I guess" The man trying to manage with the uncertainty of Dipps scouting jotted down the details. 'We'll since you did so well, we can offer you a slightly larger pay how's 25Ap Pieces?" "That sounds fair, is there any other quests we could take?" He asked hoping to avoid the cluster of people around the board. 

"Yeah I've got something here for you" He says as he leans down  under his desk rummaging out of there site."Okay. We've seen skeletons roaming around lately, South of Tyke village, in a cave we believe something is creating them, think you can deal with it?" He asked, knowing they could handle themselves against Ratfolk he was confident in their skills against something as slow and weak as skeletons."No Problem! We can deal with skeletons" Dipp says confidently as he grabs the quest pages from the man . "Well, then hopefully you two do as well on this quest as the last one" The man says smiling to the pair. 'Come master Dipp. We should start getting ready"  with the quest in hand and coins in there pocket the pair left the crowded building. "What should we get to be ready" Dipp asked Oliver curiously. "First I think we need to get new weapons, and some new armor for you. I don't think we'll have the funds for much else", "Alright then, sounds like a plan lets find a nice store and sort out some new equipment then!" He said brimming with energy as he thought about getting new equipment.

 Together they raced down the street looking at all the store fronts sign for something that might resemble a armors store. After blinding running around the streets they eventually came across a sign that stood out from the rest entirely. Nice mannequins in armor could be seen through the window and weapons were displayed around them. The sign atop the store was extravagant, a detailed mural of a soldier posed to fight marked the front of the store with the words "Griffs Store" Underneath. As they walked inside the extravagant building the chimes rang elegantly through the building. "Oh! Welcome!, you guys looking for something specific or just looking around?" A large older man with a long gingery beard and no hair visible yells as he rushes to the door his new customers. "My master and I would like some new equipment for a quest, a new weapon and armor should do him well" Oliver says as he looks up to the large man.
"HAHA no worries, Come with me little guy i'll set you up well. Your friend here can look around while i sort you out!" he says enthusiastically as he gestures for Dipp to follow him around the store. 

As Oliver stands alone in the armory he looks around at all the swords lining the walling of the store impressed by the detailing and craftsmanship of each one, grabbing random blades seeing the weight each one had he found himself more impressed by the blacksmiths quality wondering if they could even afford to refit Dipp with new equipment of such quality.

"OLIVER!, I look so cooool!" The small familiar Dipp voice says loudly as he pitter patters over to where he left Oliver, A short sword in one and a small handbow in the other, wearing a tidy and protective leather armor. The large man standing Oliver proudly with how quickly and efficiently he found the suitable equipment. "How much is that going to cost?" Oliver said worryingly as the sword and armor. "Well normally it's quite expensive but since your little friend is so nice I'll be generous. How's 30AP pieces" Oliver rubbed his face contemplating the offer, it was definitely a good offer since the items were of high quality but that would leave the two of nearly broke, were they really they desperate?, "Oliver we need it, it's so cool" Dipp said excitedly as he smiled at oliver. "Okay then, if that's what you want, you can have it" He says as he grabs the coin purse counting out the 30coins for the shopkeeper. "Ohoho Hopefully That armor protects you well! Thanks for shopping at Griffs store!" 

Dipp wearing his new armor walks happily alongside his companion, "If the quest is south of Tyke village should we just head back there since we already got our armor and weapons sorted?" He asked unsure if the idea was of any value. As he hears the suggestion he stops in his tracks and quickly thinks, "Hmm, that's a good idea. Since we spent most of our money now we should probably just walk through the night back to Tyke village. Good idea master". With a plan in mind the pair walk down the cobbled road towards the Gatehouse ready to trek through the night back to the undead village Tyke. 

As the sun begins to set in the city and majority of the people  at the gatehouse are trying to squeeze in the pair smile as they are one of the few actively leaving the city in the darkness of the outside world. "Hey Oliver have you ever fought Skeletons before?" He asked attempting to kill time as they slowly walked. Shaking his head "Never, many people believe they are one of the weakest undead due to their slow movement and brittle bones, so we should not have any issue"


"Master You havent talked about what happened when you were fighting the Ratfolk… If you like we could speak about it if you want..?" He said slowly and quietly as he tried to talk about a sensitive matter. Dipp closed his eyes as he quickly remember the blood combat they went through and how he used the blood of fallen to wipe out the ratfolk. "I just.. dunno, I remember it so well but everytime i think about it I just get shivers down my spine and my hair stands on its ends how do i even get passed something like that?" He said frustratedly letting out a stressful sigh as they walk.

Before they could talk more on the matter they somehow found themselves looking down on the undead village of Tyke. Beams of a wall were beginning construction around the village. As they approached the village they were quickly recognized by many of the villagers. "You guys are back, your barely left for a day, you guys must really like us" one of the villagers slowly building the walls yelled as he spotted Dipp and Oliver. "We have a quest to deal with some skeletons nearby so we thought we'd drop by on the way" Dipp explains to the villagers.  "Isn't it a little weird for you to attack skeletons since your undead or whatever yourself?" The villager used curiously. "I thought that as well but i think there kinda just like mindless versions of undead so there are a lot different than us" Dipp explains as covers his eyes as the sun slowly pokes from over the hills blinding the small Dipp momentarily. "We should hurry and get some work done, the sun will be up soon. We won't get much free time to work on the  wall duringthen" the villager begrudgingly said as he began hammering down a large piece of wood into the ground.


© 2019 FriedRyce


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7 Views
Added on December 27, 2019
Last Updated on December 27, 2019
Tags: Undead, Fnatacy, Magic, Action, Adventure, Struggle


Author

FriedRyce
FriedRyce

Australia



About
Hi their, that's right, I’m an amataur writter that isn’t too bright but hopes to improve eventually. If your ever reading any stories I make take a second and comment any errors I make. T.. more..

Writing