Chapter 8: Namless Soliders

Chapter 8: Namless Soliders

A Chapter by FriedRyce

As the starry night hangs high in the sky and the glistening magic lights litter the star a small simple inn stands out of place in the street, inside this unextraordinary Inn two sit around a table enjoying a quiet meal in the cold night air, a elderly InnKeeper and his hard working son enjoy the food before them, until a heavy knock rings at the door disturbing, unsure who would would be knocking at this time the innKeeper stands from his wooden stool and hurries to the door to stop the constant knocking, as the elderly man opens the door he’s chest begins to ache as he sees knight and guards stand before him. Taking off his helmet as passing it to one of his men he looks at the old man and the room behind him “Ahh No wonder your name sounded so familiar, your family used to be quiet the warriors protecting acting as the forests guard from all outsiders,” The knight coldly said smiling as he spoke.


The innkeepers body shaking as he looked at the face of the man scars and wrinkles covering the middle aged knight that were uncannily familiar to the innkeeper as he looked deeper at his eerily familiar face flashes of the sacred forest lands he grew up in being burned down by a similar knight flashed before his eyes, questions flooded his mind as he looked towards the uncanny looking knight. ‘How could he be him? He couldn’t be. That knight would be dead by now.’He thought to himself as he desperately shook the memories of his childhood away.“Ahh yes... My parents and ancestors were the guards of the forest until...”stopping his sentence midway.


“That is interesting, well the crown is recruiting able bodies to fight in the war against the Belmont empire and your son is expected to enlist and fight,” he says coldly. Luka grips his spoon tightly unable to loosen his anaconda like death grip on the inanimate object in shock as he hears the heavy words. “He’s just a child he can’t fight...” The Innkeeper says desperately. “Okay Listen Old man, Since he’s got elf in him and high quality elf at that he probably has a knack for magic of some kind. It’ll be the best chance he will ever get to practice magic.”The knight explains to the Innkeeper.“Luka?”The innkeeper asks quietly as he turns around to see the torn Luka.“Well either way, you have until tomorrow to either pay 80 ap pieces to ignore the recruitment or appear at the guardhouse tomorrow, please don’t make us come looking for you it never turns out well,” He says coldly as the knight tired of the conversation. The knight looking at their faces could tell they understood their situation turned and walked out of the building, putting his helmet back on as he headed towards his next house.


“It’s okay Luka... I’ll find the money somewhere,” His father says with uncertain and slow words. “No, I can’t let you sell your soul for me. I’ll join them, plus you always said you wanted me to study magic this’ll be my best chance,” Luka says faking a smile while looking to his upset father trying to make him feel just a little bit better inside.


The following morning the Innkeeper's heart sunk deeply as he stood from the doorway watching his child walk away, a single bag on his shoulder he knew he might never see him again and struggled to hold back a torrent of tears welling deeply inside him as his son faded from view. As he looked around countless young men of all age and size walked slowly from their homes a heavy weight slowly them down as they head towards uncertainty. Parents collapsing in heartbreak as they watched their little ones march off into the distance, unable to watch anymore the lone Innkeeper closed his door sitting alone in the dark Inn alone.


As Luka walked down the cobbled road towards the large guardhouse he looked around, countless other men younger, older, small, taller all walked in a similar depressing walk. These nameless soldiers to be walked in unison no smiles no laughter or words of any kind left these nameless soldiers the only sound was the heavy steps they left on the cobbled road under their feet. He could tell instantly they were all going to the same place.uncomfortable 


As they neared the guardhouse, rows of soldiers and knights gathered at the entrance, herding the nameless soldiers into a group. As they looked around in confusion an empty pedestal stood before them, around it, were knights standing tall looking down at the nameless soldiers. Eventually, as the nameless stood in a ball of uncertainty a knight in extravagant armor silently walked upto the pedestal and looked down to all those gathered before him. “I am Grand Knight Morien! Surrounded by peers! We are here to insure you; we will win this war! None of you will die needlessly! Together we will defeat the Belmont’s and claim freedom for you and your loved ones!”He yelled boldly, many of the nameless soldiers absorbed by his charisma as he spoke passionately about the freedom, smiling as they believed his words wholeheartedly.“You will be separated into squads of 20! Each of the Knights behind me will soon call names! If your name is called, go to the knight and line before him! They will lead you well!”He yelled loudly before walking away quietly. As soon as the Grand Knight each knight one introduced themselves quickly before calling out names, eventually Luka heard his name from a middle aged knight, quickly he hurried to the knight lining up with the rest called by him. Silently they stood tall before the overwhelming pressure of a Knight, with a heavy hand the knight raves his hand gesturing for them to follow him.


Quietly the nameless soldiers followed their commanders, finding themselves in a room littered with uncomfortable beds, and sat tidily on each of the beds . As the soldiers stood before him he raised his helmet and looked at each of them smirkingly. “For those that weren't Listening, I am Knight Domnic. This is your quarters!On each of the beds, you will find, Gambeson, a spear and dagger to serve you in battle! Although it may not seem like much a spear in mass is a deadly weapon keep it close at all times! Now armor up we don’t have much time!”The Knight spoke loudly sending shivers down the spines of each of the soldiers as they took in his words. Quickly everyone in the room put on the armor and readied their spears at their sides, lining up for the Knight to inspect.


“Tomorrow at dawn we leave for Belmont!So steady your resolve by then, but before that you lot will have to learn the basics. Leave your spears and follow” He Ordered loudly.Again in a line they followed behind their knight to a large field, pairs of nameless soldiers dueled relentlessly as they will train desperately for their departure tomorrow, on a wall littered countless training spears available for all. “Grab a spear and the person behind you! Train hard while you can or you’ll regret it!”He ordered loudly, quickly the soldiers rushed to the wall of spears with the person behind them, finding a spot of the large field they readied their stances. Luka looked across from him, a red-haired teenager looked toward Luka with a smile. “Good luck elf, you’ll need it!” laughing as he positions his body sideways thrusting his spear towards Luka’s head with surprising speed quickly Luka blocks the thrust surprising himself as he manages to find him self-able to strike his opponent. Nimbly he avoids Luka’s thrust closing the gap before kicking Luka’s feet from under him and sending him to the ground holding the spear ready to strike. “Your really good, what's your name?” Luka compliments his opponent. “My names Henry, your actually not bad either I didn’t expect you to stop my strike at all” Henry stretching out his hand out to Luka to help him from the grassy floor. Have you learned how to use a spear?”Luka asked curiously as he found his way to his feet.“I studied with my dad. He was a Knight...” He said with heavy words.Luka didn't have to ask to understand the situation. “Okay then ready to again?” Henry asked, with a nod the two readied their stances to go again.As the two trained over and over again the knights on the side stood together watching.

Knight Domnic stood with the knight who had recruited Luka, “How's the Elf boy,” The knight asked Domnic. “He’s untrained, but you can clearly see the talent, it’s in his blood, with proper training and experience he could be a great soldier.” He answered the knight proudly. “He wishes to study magic, and I think he has a good shot at magic those Forrester's had astounding magic and weapon skill.” The recruiter says. “So that’s why he found his way to my squad, he has outstanding potential, as a knight I’m probably biased but I do hope he stays and practices combat and becomes an outstanding Knight one day” Domnic says as he watches his quickly learn to handle himself with the spear.


The following morning as the sun began to rise, the nameless soldiers gathered with their equipment ready for a march towards the enemy, unsure if they would ever return. Countless onlookers watched from the side with aching hearts as their loved ones marched down the road spears in hand silently past them. Praying for their safe return. The sounds of their footsteps echoing through the quiet city as the make their way down the street and past the walls. After the nameless soldiers make their way past the walls.


Slowly the army of inexperienced soldiers tread over the green grass behind their commanders, 25 Knights in total lead the soldiers each with extravagant armor, riding atop large horses. Lead by their superior Grand knight Morien. Without rest the soldiers marched, over the hills, over rivers their bodies aching as the sun finally began to set around them. The commands raising their hands forcing all those behind them to halt. In unison the Nameless soldiers following the knights let out words of joy as they finally stopped. “Knights!Gather your troops and ready a camp for the night!Have them ready to march by sunrise!”The Grand Knight Ordered to his Knights loudly.“Yes sir” The knights answer unanimously as they trot away towards their troops. “Men!I know your exhausted from walking all day now if you want to rest you better hurry up and set camp up quickly so you can get some sleep tonight!”Knight Domnic Ordered loudly to the troops. Luka’s legs shaking from exhausted he slowly made his way to set up the tents with Henry and the others. “The last one ready will be first on watch so be quick!” He says trotting around watching how well they prep camp. Quickly Henry and Luka finish their tents with Haste, the two waiting patiently for Knight Dominic to notice. “You two have done well, Since you were the first you’ve got the night off, don’t waste it. We leave at dawn” He says politely to the two before trotting off to keep an eye on the rest of the troops.


“So Luka, are you planning to hope to become a Knight one day?” Henry asks as they rest their aching bodies. “I dunno I’ve never really thought about it, my dad recons I should study Magic since I have elf blood in me but I dunno what I want to do yet” closing his eyes as he speaks.“Maybe you could become a Magic-Knight, if you’ve got the talent why not right?”Henry asked but before he could get an answer Luka was fast asleep.“Yeah, that seems like a good idea” Henry says to himself closing his eyes before quickly falling asleep.



© 2020 FriedRyce


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

11 Views
Added on January 7, 2020
Last Updated on January 7, 2020
Tags: Undead, Fnatacy, Magic, Action, Adventure, Struggle


Author

FriedRyce
FriedRyce

Australia



About
Hi their, that's right, I’m an amataur writter that isn’t too bright but hopes to improve eventually. If your ever reading any stories I make take a second and comment any errors I make. T.. more..

Writing