Chapter 5: The New Begining

Chapter 5: The New Begining

A Chapter by FriedRyce
"

Stories Collide as Ryke begins to come to come to terms iwht his new life in the village ready to help his people in any way he can.

"

Days, weeks and Months flew by since the ratfolk village had met it’s new ruler. Skulk sat proudly in his newly built throne as he admired the villages progress, a towering wall was made,new willing rats joined there cause, he smiled as things ran smoothly, aside from the overbearing issue of food.. As the men trained themselves rigorously the woman took over the role of vicious hunters and gathering but as the village grew quickly struggled to support the population. 


“We cannot sustain this for much longer Chief, we have to acquire food soon..” A Ratfolk standing beside Skulk said shakely. Skulk tired of hearing such worlds from his people was beginning to become frustrated and irritated. “Bring me Ryke and 15 strong Rats” He said impatiently. 


“Yes Chief!” He said quickly as he bowed hastily towards his lord before rushing of the room, alone in his throne room Skulk sat contemplating deeply about the issue at hand hoping this would finely solve their food shortage… if the village could only hold out a little longer he was certain they could prosper greatly


Quickly Skulk watched as Ryke and 15 muscular than average ratfolk walked into throne room. Ryke Kneeling before his lord looked up at Skulk in his throne. “What can we do for you Chief Skulk?” He asked curiously. Skulk standing up tall looked over his summoned Rats. “I have a mission for you lot, to save the town from starvation we’ll be raiding a nearby human settlements for food” The group of Rats raised their heads in surprise as they heard the warmonger like words from their new Chief.


“Won’t the humans just attack us back Chief?” Ryke asked cautiously. “That won’t happen, you'll be eliminating all the humans in the village, scouts have also found a cave dwelling of goblins near the village, they will be taking the blame for the attack”. The 15 Rats lit up brightly as they heard the seemingly fall proof plan of their leader.


“You will leave tonight, you lot should gather what you need and be ready before then” Gesturing for the Warriors to leave his throne room to begin preparations. With a nod Ryke and the nameless soldiers began to stand up and leave the room. “Ryke stay back, I wish to have some words with you quickly” Ryke turning around in confusion.


“Come, walk with me for a moment” He said gesturing for the doorway, Ryke confused accepts his invitation and begins to walk alongside his lord. Together they leave the room. A large training hall can be seen before them. In unison Ratfolk could be seen training in vigorously. “Ryke, you done great work for this village. For you heardwork towards the village I’d like you to lead the raid on the village” With a stiffened expression he nodded in acceptance ready to do what needed to be done for the betterment of the village.

Continuing there walk as Ryke accepted to lead the Rats on their assault of the village they found themselves on the outskirts of the village, a small hut like building was in front of them. “This will be your symbol as leader of the assault, Look inside” Unsure of what awaited him inside peers into the small shack, inside stood a large boar, a simple saddle throne overtop. “This beast was quite the struggle to tame, hopefully it serves you well in battle”.

“Thank you chief, I’ll definitely make myself worthy of such a great gift” He said Smiling happily. “Now Hurry and prepare for the attack” Skulk said as he turned and began to slowly walk away.


As the sun began to set on the village Ryke stood beside his beast as his men kneeled before him ready for battle. “This raid will be bloody but don’ think it as murder, think it as redemption for all ratfolk kind!” He yelled loudly to his soldiers, leaping atop his beast. With A small tap of his foot the beast slowly trotted forward, the ratfolk following behind.Skull watched as the group quickly left his vision,wishing for safe travels of the villages last hope.


After a day of travel, the nights sky once again hung over their head. Standing atop a large hill hidden by the cover of tree’s a large farming village could be seen, A large lake behind the village cut off their retreat leaving them unable to run from there attack, smoke billowed from fires. Leaping from his beast he looked closely over the village, Small wooden makeshift barricades and holes scattered around the village.


“Ryke.. They must know where coming… the scouts must have been spotted” A Rat soldier said worryingly. “Your right but even if they know where coming those small defenses won’t stop us, if we attack fast they won’t be able to do anything” Ryke said confidently, hopping atop his beast. Thunder rumbled in the distance as they looked down towards the village. “Form you lines and begin to march!” Unsheathing his sword as he yelled to his men.


As one they marched towards the village. Villagers frantically scurried about standing behind their shotty barricades. A well dressed elderly man holding a short sword standing to the front of the villages accompanied by a small Forest Folk. “Careful boys!, those two aren't villagers keep an eye on them!”


As Ryke glanced over the villagers standing tall ready to protect there village he quickly noticed no women and children could be seen at all. The men soley took up arms wielding anything they could kvines, sickles, pitchforks. The mitch matched force stood ready to fight as Ryke and his men approached.


As they approached the villages Ryke raised his hand up for his men to stop behind him. Close enough to hear the murmurs of the villages they stop opposite to each other. Thunder rumbling and dark clouds hung over their heads as they stared down the villagers. Staring towards the small Small out of place forest folk, Ryke speaks loudly, announcing for the villagers to surrender their land to them, and to offer their lives to the long claw of Lord Skulk. This was a name none of them had ever heard before and left the villages murmuring in confusion. Seeing there hesitating he explains Skulk will be the lord and king of all the ratfolk and overthrow the humans that have persecuted them. The small creature all though not fully understanding the ratfolks hatred speaks back to Ryke.  “Why does he have to overthrow, why do humans and Ratfolk have to even fight why can’t they get along” He speaks wholesomely. Ryke hearing these child like suggestions from Dipp, sighs heavily rubbing his eyes in frustration. “Humans are evil and vile creatures, hunting anything different from them, destroying anything they fear and don’t understand such a race cannot exist”


“Even if that is what you believe we will not hand over this village to the likes of your kind, the villagers have not hurt anymore and won’t let a rat hurt them anymore” Roars of agreement follow behind the small creatures as they raised they weapons.


“Then you’ll die here” He said as rain began to fall heavily around them,with a heavy expression he charged his boar towards the villagers, pitchforks raised towards the charging boar, before it collides with the villages Ryke quickly lept from the boar, leaping over the head of the villagers and finding himself behind the villagers, sword drawn he quickly slashes at the enemies cutting those around him.


With their attention stolen the rats charged leaping over the makeshift barricade with ease and colliding with the front line of villages, surprised filled their hearts as they were suddenly taken by surprise. Ratfolk shocked as the small creature frantically stopping blades attacking around him, although struggles to fight efficiently he held his own outnumbered , screams filled the small creatures ears as villages fell behind him. Quickly he turned to see Ryke cutting down villages around him as he looked around the battlefield he began to understand the situation, villages quickly began to fall around him. Ratfolk and Villagers alike lying at his feet the creature wailing in frustration, blood covering his fur, looking around frantically he sees the carnage of majority of the villages fallen, only few stood tall with him, The creature stood surrounded by ratfolk, beside him was a shaken pair of villagers and his well dressed companion now covered in blood and injured all over.


As they fought for survival the small creatures blade cracks as he blocks countless attacks, unwilling to forfeit his life he quickly grabs a ratfolks blade and continues fighting, feeling the blood soaking into his shoes and unable to feel a difference between the blood around him and the rain falling on his face, tears began to flow down his eyes. With his heart aching he begins to swing his blade wildly into the Ratfolk near him. Their eyes widening in horror as blood rises around the creature, swirling around his blood and flowing with his blade like a sharp extension of death.


As the blood wildly slashes around like a whip of death the ratfolk around him fall, joining the deceased villages at his feet. Ryke standing alone steps back in horror as he watches his comrades full around, a sole villages falling down as the demon like powers emerged from the original gentle looking creature. Tears pouring down his eyes as anger overflows in his heart, slowly walks towards the lone ratfolk Ryke. “Stay back!”  Holding his sword outwards as blood swirles highly around Dipp. Fear and regret flooding inside Rykes mind as he thought about what would happen to the village now they had failed. Would they starve?, Would they all die?, Will they find another away to live?. Many questions flashed inside his mind without an answer to any of them.


“This is your fault, you the reason this even happened, you could have left but now all these innocent people are gone because of you!” The small demon like creature yells as whip like blood slashes frantically towards Ryke. Dicing his sword quickly, Stumbling in fear he collaspes to the fall, crawling backwards slowly only to be stopped by the wall of a house. The swirling blades of blood slicing the Ratfolk countless times leaving the diced ratfolk lifless.


As Ryke breathed his final breath the blood flowing around Dipp collapsed to the floor lifelessly, as he fell to his knees, looking to the sole villager near him. “I’m sorry, I wish I could have saved you please forgive me for my weakness” He cries towards the villagers lifeless bodies on the floor. The fearful villager’s expression changes as he sees the sobbing creature, slowly he stands up walking towards Dipp. “You did great…, my children, my wife, our families. You saved them all. Thank you” He says as he rests his head on the crying Dips shoulder.


“He’s right master. You… Really did good” A weak Oliver, slumped near a wall. Large gashes covering his legs and arms. Unable to stand from his injuries Dipp quickly runs to the injured Oliver. “Noo, no no. Not you, I can’t go on without you” He yells loudly towards the injured Oliver. Blood once again flowing towards Dipp flowing out of the grass around him. Slowly it approached Oliver, Climbing atop him, clinging to him, covering his wounds, until vanishing from sight, leaving only minor scars where the gashes once were “Master, You truly are amazing”. Slowly the three walked towards the woman and children hiding away, unaware of the carnage that unfolded outside. Calling the woman out and speaking to them privately the sole villager explained what happened, wanting to cry for their loss they shuttered but stood strong for their children. 


Dipp and Oliver, as they walked through the battlefield bodies of rat and human alike laid at their feet, quickly they grabbed shovels unable to leave them rotting on the floor both knowing what needed to be done without saying a word, as the families mourning their loved ones, Dipp and Oliver slowly trudged through the night digging resting places for the deceased to rest in. Dipp looked over the newly made gravesite, all but one were buried and resting peacefully, The leader of the Ratfolk attack. Unable to forgive the man that caused so much death Dipp dugg an hole away from the rest of the village, throwing in the blood remains of the ratfolk inside without sympathy leaving his remains in a unmarked grave to be forgotten about. The graves dug and the dead resting resting peacefully Oliver left his master to help those grieving late into the light. Dipp unable to face the families quietly sat on a rock looking out into the lake of the village, an early morning mist slowly beginning to cover the lake, wondering what he had become since he began this adventure into the unknown. His stomach ached as he thought about what he was and what he might become. Looking as he blood stained fur he notices gashes and scratches littering his body from the battle.


“Little one, You’ve finally awakened as one of us have you?” A familiar gentle voice spoke to Dipp as he looked into the unknown. Surprised he turned around to see the creature he’d met when he woke up inside the mountains. “What… please tell me what I am..?” He asked shaily holding back the overflowing emotions.


“Little one, you are a being greater than many could ever know. You have life and death at your fingertips, capable of raising those from damnation but also capable of damning people to it if you so pleased... or you could if you embrace your true nature as a Lich”


Dipps stomach plunged further unsettledness as he heard the heavy words. “A lich like yourself can drain the life essence of the dead and empower themselves but as you  deny that power within your life force will begin to fade as your soul struggles to remain in undeath...you’ll eventually collapse and join those corpses you buried” These heavy words hit deep inside Dipps heart, he wanted to deny what he heard but deep inside he knew it was true, he was alive anymore, he wasn’t a simple undead. “Little one don’t think of this as a curse or a burden, imagine the benefits, you could raise those unfairly slaughtered by damning those that have hurt you. Dipps eyes widened as he understood what the being was saying. Just like he’d done with Oliver he could raise the villagers to undeath life… at the price of the ratfolk. His consense began to toss and turn as he internally debated if it was right to damn the ratfolks for what they had done.


As the cold air rustled through across DIpps face he sighed heavily. “Your right, the villagers didn’t deserve to die…” Dipp said slowly as he stood up turning away from the being he began to slowly head towards the newly made grave-site, determined to avenge those fallen. Around him the deceased of ratfolk and humans were buried. Closing his eyes he focuses, although slightly he manages to detect all those fallen around him buried away, knowing what had to be done he focused on the ratfolk, thinking of the atrocities they committed as he felt their life essence leave their old bodies and enter his, instantly he opened his eyes as he understood the power he grasped, clenching his fists as he felt the new power at his fingertips.


The power rushing through his veins left the small creature feeling like a never ending well of power but before he found himself lost in its depth he shook his head, this power wasn't for him. With a heavy hand he swung his hand across the graveyard, focusing on the villagers that fell needlessly, red thread like wires launcher from his fingertips entering the bodies of those deceased. Within seconds he felt the power recede, exhausted he watched pleased as hands began to erupt out of the dirt determined to escape, after a few minutes the dirt covered corpses of the villagers climbed out of the ground looking at the small creature in confusion. “Welcome to undeath guys…” He said breathing heavily before his vision blurs into a swirling mess and the world around him begins to fade to blackness.



© 2019 FriedRyce


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7 Views
Added on December 20, 2019
Last Updated on December 20, 2019
Tags: Undead, Fnatacy, Magic, Action, Adventure, Struggle


Author

FriedRyce
FriedRyce

Australia



About
Hi their, that's right, I’m an amataur writter that isn’t too bright but hopes to improve eventually. If your ever reading any stories I make take a second and comment any errors I make. T.. more..

Writing