First.

First.

A Chapter by Fede

He spent every single Saturday and Sunday afternoon reading and listening to music. Sometimes he changed this routine. He went for a coffee with his book under his arm. 

There was something in the air the moment he left his house. He scented jasmine petals in the air and decided to follow it. It was a strong scent. Why did he follow it? He never knew why. It was a soothing smell. 

He followed the scent for 3 minutes. He realized he was not going to the coffee store he went whenever he left his flat but he didn’t care.

It was a different Sunday afternoon. It was a windy autumn day, you could smell the rain in the air but for him it was just jasmine petals. The scent was getting stronger as he reached the park.

Suddenly, he forgot about the smell. He saw the most stunningly gorgeous woman he had ever seen and he desperately urged to know her name. He was too shy to ask it. He probably believed that she would never tell him. 

He thought the time had stopped at that place but it didn’t. He observed her for 25 minutes non-stop. For him they were just seconds. She was still there and he still didn’t know her name.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Not once but twice. The moment he opened his eyes, she was standing in front of him.

With a smile on her face, with the smell of jasmine petals on her hair, with happiness in her eyes, she said:

“Wanna go to grab a coffee and sit in the park?”

He said yes but before he asked her name.

She replied that it didn’t matter.

He asked her where  the coffee store was. She replied that it was two blocks away from where they were standing. Not far enough he said. 

"Why not far enough?" she asked him.

"I just wanna walk by your side, like strolling down the beach. I wanna smell your hair while you walk. I wanna see your boots stomping the pavement like dancing jazz moves." he answered. 

"Don’t worry, we will walk at the park." 

They arrived at said place. She asked for a moka coffee. He was in doubt. He never had a single doubt when asking for a coffee, anywhere. It was simple, a macchiato.

That particular doubt freezed him. He never freezed like that before a barista. He stuttered. “Mo mo mo kaccino, p p please.” 

She laughed and told him to take it easy. “You’re not being tested by anyone here. Just relax.”

He took another big breath and repeated slowly what he wanted. “Mokaccino, please.”

His name was beautifully written in a particular font. Aiden likes his name. He remembered his Irish heritage with it. Her coffee cup had to have her name. He couldn’t read it. 

"Can I ask for your name again?"

"Not now, maybe in the park."

They left the coffee store. The blowing wind was intensifying. He was starting to think that enjoying the afternoon at the park with that mysterious yet captivating woman wasn’t possible. 

"Your look is staring at that cloud, do you think it’s gonna rain?" she asked him. He gazed a gazeless stare. His stare was all he needed to say.

After a minute, she asked him if he would stay in case of a rain shower. He said he would, that he wouldn’t leave her side, no matter what. She felt flattered and somehow bewildered. 

Was he falling for her? Had he already fallen for her?

The drizzle started. Her hair looked like grass kissed by the morning mist. Her black coat received some drops of rain and started glowing. He thought that she made a deal with that soft rain so she could look perfect. 

He had fallen for her and there was nothing he or she could do about it.

He was longing for that feeling for the past 2 years. 18 years old and a bad relationship on his shoulders was all he had, but when he scented that smell, the emotional burden disappeared.

"I love the way you move in the rain" he told her in a burst of honesty, "you look flawless." She cracked half a smile. She wasn’t comfortable at all but thanked him anyway.

He stopped thinking for a second and said, “do you wanna go to my place and listen to some records?” he paused and added, “only if you wanna.”

She said yes and replied, “my name is Berenice.”


© 2014 Fede


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i'm a bit curious as to how he is able to smell the jasmine petals from afar, or maybe it's done on purpose, isn't it? So that i will be curious about the guy if he's human or not? Is that so? If it's okay, I will say my take about the characters in your story. The guy seems to be a first-timer in love but a bit aggressive in what he says. There's a bit of a contrast in his character. The girl is kind of easy, I'm not sure because it's only the first chapter. I'm also not sure why she has to say her name doesn't matter. Or is it also a part of your style to make it a little mysterious?

Posted 9 Years Ago


So far i like it. It's interesting and grabs the reader. However, i dont understand why the spacing is the way it is and there should be indents infront of every paragraph (:

Posted 9 Years Ago


Fede

9 Years Ago

I space it that way because that's the way I write. I find long paragraphs boring and not catchy eno.. read more
I like the way you write. For me at least you describe the inviroment without describing it and that is what most people like, to let them selfs picture the place and not being told. Defiently going to read the other chapters.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stepson Fastner

9 Years Ago

Why wasted?
Fede

9 Years Ago

I believe this isn't good enough for me but I somehow like it.
Stepson Fastner

9 Years Ago

I know the felling but the good thing is that you keep writing. Now that I like what you have writte.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2014
Last Updated on April 16, 2014
Tags: story, short story, fiction, jasmine, petals, love


Author

Fede
Fede

Argentina



Writing