The Three Billy Goats Gruff

The Three Billy Goats Gruff

A Chapter by JC Pruett

Picture this:  A somber meadow.  Dry, twisted stalks of grass are all that remain of eatable foodstuffs.  Dark times indeed.  View this scene through a sepia tinted lens, almost as if directed by Tim Burton.  Down in the dell, stands a bridge spanning a swiftly flowing stream.  On the other side, all is roses.  Verdant fields of grass and assorted roughage as far as the eye can see.  But, as you near the bridge, you hear a haunting refrain...  It drifts up, up, up from the Troll Booth strangely placed underneath the bridge.  In a scratchy tone, "I don't charge a dime.  I don't charge a nickel.  I'll just eat you up, like a crunchy pickle."  Or something like that.

  Yes, I had the rare honor to attend a play put on by the Brownwood East Elementary First Grade.  It was interesting to hear about the adventures of Little Billy Goat Gruff, Middle Billy Goat Gruff, and...Extra Large Billy Goat Gruff.  Yes, the "friends" of course performed the "PC" version. 

  I must say that I'm glad I attended the third showing.  The practice the players had had really showed.  There was a standout performance by young Darovin Showalter.  He is an up and comer, to be sure.  Other performances not to be missed were done by two random girls I shall call "Angela" and "Beth."  Who knows, that might be their names.  All in all, there was only one slightly weak performance.  With practice, all these kids have what it takes, I'm sure.

  No expense was spared on the set, and it really showed.  The Troll Booth, and...ummm...big rock really transported one to the location.  I could almost hear the river running under their feet.  There was a good two to three dollars spent on props and costume.  At least. 

  And what costumes!  Again, like something out of a Tim Burton picture.  These were some of the most disturbing and ominous goats I have ever seen.  I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley, I'll tell you.

  The plot is the old tale we all know, full of pathos and trickery; tenacity and final triumph.  When Extra Large Goat Gruff finally vanquished the evil troll, I think there wasn't a dry eye in the house.  I know I teared up, gentle reader.  The format was a little strange, with narrators reading the lines while actors performed the action, but it worked well for the material.  All in all, I have spent worse five minutes.  I highly recommend catching the Brownwood First Grade Acting Troops presentation of "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" should it come to your area.



© 2008 JC Pruett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
Added on April 11, 2008


Author

JC Pruett
JC Pruett

Brownwood, TX



Writing