Musings on Cigarettes and Asthma

Musings on Cigarettes and Asthma

A Chapter by JC Pruett

Great news for asthmatics all across the great state of Texas!  The Texas AG issued a legal opinion in November concluding that the lottery commission could be found in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act if the commission denied meaningful access to people with disabilities.  This opinion was in response to a complaint brought by a person with severe asthma who suffered a serious attack after buying a lottery ticket in a store where smoking was allowed.  Wonderful news!  What does private property matter?  Who cares about little things like that?  Bleh!

  When, exactly, did our government become Big Brother?  I suppose it started with that paragon of unconstitutionality, Franklin Roosevelt.  Probably before, but he really sent us down that path in a big way.  Why is it okay that the government decide what is good for us?  Who the hell thinks that is okay?  Are we all sheep?  Yes, we are.  I look around me at the way personal rights are routinely trod upon, and I am disgusted.  People bring up the founding fathers all the time.  The founding fathers this, the founding fathers that.  The founding fathers didn't mean that we actually had the right to bear arms.  The founding fathers didn't mean that we couldn't have religion in public schools.  F**k, people!  Do you know what the founding fathers would probably do if they were here today?  They would f*****g rebel!  Go us.  Anyway, I digress...

  This stupid smoking ruling is just one more step for the erosion of personal property rights.  Just because the smoking community are considered pariahs, rights are allowed to be stripped from property owners.  How can smoking be banned from restaurants by order of law?  How the hell is this not up to the owner?  No one has to go there.  This is total bullshit, no matter how you look at it.  Smoking banned in government places?  Good.  You have to go there, as there is no alternative.  Smoking in privately owned places banned?  Not good.  You are supposed to be able to have great control over what is done on your private property. 

  Oh well.  Soon we will all be like California.  F*****g great.  Who needs rights, anyway?  Poor Jefferson and Adams.  What a wonderful contract of rights they helped craft.  One of the finest recent works of humanity.  It's too bad that it isn't followed anymore.  It's too bad that somewhere along the way, it became a "living document" instead of just words on a legal contract.



© 2008 JC Pruett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on April 11, 2008