~Life in abstention

~Life in abstention

A Poem by Frieda P
"

_“If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.” Mahatma Gandhi

"
  hung your suicidal smile around our necks,
   branded the skin, tucked it in shirt pockets
took a leap off the ledge of abysmal distortion,
  sucked the marrow from the bones 
                   of shattered bystanders  
choking on the bloody tears of life in abstention
   dripping in assimilation's destined antagonism 
feasting on the afterlife's apocalyptic rewards
   remaining ashes scattered on epic wind's archives
        as bookmarked collectible's blinded keepsakes
written in braille contrition
                    of recall's token heavy heart 


© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Holy Hell... this reached out and punched me in the gut... I am honestly speechless.. This one hurt... Makes me want to reach out and give you the biggest hug ever... seriously.... so powerful and intense... the pain sears into our soul and brands our hearts forever leaving us to choke on our tears and blindly try to rustle through the ashes to find our way out of the black hole that we find ourselves in.. but that light is up there, may not seem like it sometimes.. but it is... damn... this one hit me hard... sorry still reeling over here ma'am...

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Ha it was fine the first few times, after 50 it was way too much & starts to grate on your nerves ;)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

awwwww... it still makes me chuckle... guess, I got more patience for the bird...
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Patience is a virtue I don't possess muchly. .....



Reviews

This is just incredibly heart breaking and I am sorry you are feeling this so much lately. Suicide is an awful thing. The people who feel pressured by life enough to take their own lives are beyond being able to comprehend how others will feel after they are gone. A very dear friend took her life years ago when I was in high school and it was absolutely devastating, and more recently a family member tried to. It leaves scars on everyone they touched. Just know that we are here to support you if you ever need to talk.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is a song of after life. Not sure how to confirm but soul says it must be like that wherever it is.
Love it when you write for her. Making us feel how unlucky we are not have come across her.

Posted 9 Years Ago


as bookmarked collectible's blinded keepsakes
written in braille contrition
of recall's token heavy heart

brilliant peotry, I love the images your words paint in the reader's mind

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MAC
a brilliantly expressive piece, sad yet very honest

Posted 9 Years Ago


i don't know what to say .. and if i did .. i would not know how to say it .. :( and Robin Williams is gone now ... your poem is very powerful
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


"written in braille contrition"

and those who silently suffer, eventually leave us of their own accord...

life is about honesty, and being honest with oneself...and as Dan Hill sang...sometimes" the honesty's too much"

a very moving poem...after reading the Balm piece, i have come to this one...wished i had read them the other way around....the other poem soothes the pain that is writhing in this one.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was difficult for me to review; the emotion in this was palpable, and I felt so much from it. I don't even know if I can discuss something like this... for me, suicide itself isn't the tragic part, it is being in the point of your life and/or mental health, that it seems to be the only or best action. It is much more complex than people make it, and it isn't just the act of killing oneself, but rather the years of self-loathing that culminate to that moment... and then the years that follow in which people try to understand. ugggh, point is, you hit me in the feel goods, with something so personal. As for the writing itself, you continue to show that you are a master of unique, tactful, and invoking imagery and metaphor. I love every line in here, each holding some subtly that twists at the heart and mind. Despite how hard this hit, this is one of my favourites from you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sometimes suicide is not even intended, we just let go of ourselves when we feel all is lost and finds subliminal ways of killing ourselves… a hard gripping poem with a dramatic punch.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I generally keep focused on all that is good in Life, but this past week has had me looking through very dark glasses... the difference being, I suppose, that I can remove those tainted glasses eventually. The pain that prevails for those that are left behind... a smorgasbord of regrets and if onlys... Frieda, you make us feel along with you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I don't really have the words to review this one. Only someone who has been there truly gets it. A long time ago I thought life wasn't worth living due to the bullies I endured. Luckily I woke up. Two people would not be in existence if I had made that choice, and who knows what the implications would have been for my family. I have lived the broken trail left by suicide too long. I try to understand but I can't, and instead I just pray to pass through the pain when it hits me. As I recently told Noel, suicide is a b***h that just keeps on giving. Done. HUGS xo.

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

515 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 12, 2014
Last Updated on August 12, 2014

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..