Focus

Focus

A Story by gabby
"

to focus is to live in the present moment.

"

I woke up to the sun shining directly to my face. I took a deep breath, convincing myself that I could get through another day. After a little pep talk, I walked down the stairs and my ears were welcomed with soft music coming from the kitchen. I walked faster as the smell of something mouth-watering hit my nose.

 

“Mom?” I looked at her shockingly, I could not help but break into a loopy grin when I saw mom with dad dancing slowly in the middle of the kitchen while cooking breakfast. I couldn’t help but laugh at mom using the spatula as a microphone while dad put on his baseball cap.

 

“Honey! Come here and taste this new recipe I’m trying.” I walked up to them and took a bite.

“Hmm! Mom this is so good!” I said as the flavors exploded in my mouth.

 

“Told you it’s good, why don’t you ever believe me?” Dad frowned at his wife. She just laughed and returned her focus on the stove.

 

“Tell me about school, darling.” Dad urged me to spill so I told him a lot of college stories I had been saving. “Wait you all do that? But you are in middle school!” His face full of confusion.

 

“Dad, I’m in college now, remember?” I laughed. His mouth formed an ‘o’ and slowly nodded.

 

“Well, I know you’ll do great, honey. We are already so proud of you.” Mom said from the kitchen where she was preparing my packed lunch.

 

“Really?  But I’ve been struggling a lot.” I sighed as I grabbed my bag.

 

“Come here!” she opened her arms and I went straight into them. Her long arms wrapped around me while she put her head on top of mine while Dad took my hand. “We love you so much, sweetheart.” she smiled.

 

“College is tough, you need to focus.” Dad said as I felt his soft lips touched my head.

 

Tears were falling as I welcomed the warmth of life back to me. It was not long when the cold harshly pulled me away as someone was shaking me.

 

“A family is a vital component of the community because…”

 

I blinked and saw my professor discussing but I couldn’t digest any information.

 

My friend nudged me, “Hey, you dissociated. Did you forget to take your medicine today?” she asked with a look of concern written on her face.

 

© 2020 gabby


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

gabby
hey there! i wrote this for my creative writing class. i would love to hear your thoughts!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so sadd. I felt the happiness that the persona had with their parents. It reminded me of the fun times like this that my family and I had. And knowing that it will soon come to pass, it's hard not to miss those moments and say that it's all in the past. It's hard to carry on and live in the present moment when you long for that warmth. :((
Anyway, you can see how much your story touched my hart like uwu. You used "warm" words to convey the feeling of being with a family that loves you, and I like that. I guess it also shows that the author is a warm person hehe. Keep it up!! :DD

Posted 3 Years Ago


Ths is such a great story. The way you wrote it is really good to the point that the ending has touched me and even saddened me. The imageries used were great and made it easy to visualize. Overall, great story.

Posted 3 Years Ago


aww, my heart :(( The imagery you used is unique :>

Posted 3 Years Ago


This is so heartbreaking :((( The imagery is so vivid. I can feel this huhu *virtual hug*

Posted 3 Years Ago


This breaks my heart when I know your story Gabby, I love this story. The way you describe such things, It makes me feel so many emotions.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I appreciate your story, Gabby. Throughout the story, it shows imageries and analogies.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2020
Last Updated on September 16, 2020
Tags: short story, contemporary, teen, young adult, psychological, mental health, family, fiction

Author

gabby
gabby

Quezon City, Philippines



About
a girl taking on the world with a pen in her hand. more..

Writing
Mosaic Mosaic

A Poem by gabby


Hustisya Hustisya

A Poem by gabby


In Wonder In Wonder

A Poem by gabby



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Short Love Story A Short Love Story

A Story by Ysa


Icarus Icarus

A Story by moongirl


her eyes her eyes

A Poem by mariposa