A Needle in the Carpet

A Needle in the Carpet

A Poem by Mari' Emeraude

Betwixt, Betwined, Beneath the tweed
lay the nasty pin,
It pierced my toe without a need,
My foot had lost again.
Of all the places I should step, 
I landed on this pain,
"Walkin' on pins and needles"
Just doesn't mean the same.
I merely stepped up to the lamp,
to read my daily news,
When all at once - the pin,it stuck;
submerged up through my shoe,
And yelling out obscenities
I screamed these words in pain,
"Either I get shoes with thicker soles,
Or ne'er read news again!" 

© 2024 Mari' Emeraude


Author's Note

Mari' Emeraude
This was a poem written about any random subject to be written in fifteen minutes or less. It was revised over the years.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Marí 🌾

I can honestly say that I've never read a more exemplary fifteen minute poem, and to begin it with such catchy alliteration takes both skill and boldness to successfully pull it off, as brilliantly as you have here.
Having experienced spearing my foot through its boot sole with a board gripped rusty nail, and once enjoying the thrill of a toothpick hidden in carpet impaling 'twixt a big 'n second toe, I can truly attest to the goose bumps your poem has gifted a tender memory … and, I hope this piece is but a creative fancy.
Excellently rendered poeting, Lady-Poet, with lines that dance, flow, and rhyme ever-so rhythmically across and down the page.

Thank you for the neat treat! ⁓ Richard 🍀

Posted 2 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mari' Emeraude

2 Months Ago

Aww, thank you for taking the time, ;p



Reviews

Marí 🌾

I can honestly say that I've never read a more exemplary fifteen minute poem, and to begin it with such catchy alliteration takes both skill and boldness to successfully pull it off, as brilliantly as you have here.
Having experienced spearing my foot through its boot sole with a board gripped rusty nail, and once enjoying the thrill of a toothpick hidden in carpet impaling 'twixt a big 'n second toe, I can truly attest to the goose bumps your poem has gifted a tender memory … and, I hope this piece is but a creative fancy.
Excellently rendered poeting, Lady-Poet, with lines that dance, flow, and rhyme ever-so rhythmically across and down the page.

Thank you for the neat treat! ⁓ Richard 🍀

Posted 2 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mari' Emeraude

2 Months Ago

Aww, thank you for taking the time, ;p
oh yes, i know just what it's like having stepped on a drawing pin that went throught the sole of my slipper ... it's the sudden pain that makes you shout obscenities, really sharp , much worse than pins and needles ..

Posted 2 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

2 Months Ago

ooo just thinking of this hurts!!
Have been known to rick my back bending down to the carpet to find that glint I noticed seconds ago but seems to have gone! By that time, news is the last thing am interested in, cos not only is my back hurting but there is blood on the carpet! One gets moments like that - yes?! See how your pain has inspired a reminder to buy some clogs!

You have always brought a smile to my lips and inspiration to my pen! Hope life is being kind to you. Happy New Everything, Mari!

Posted 3 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

3 Months Ago

Thanks again for the lovely comments. Hope your New Year is treating you well. Watch where you're st.. read more
Worse things could happen than never reading the news again. Cutting down on it has improved my outlook greatly.

Posted 3 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

3 Months Ago

Good point!
Lovely piece. Had a chuckle.

Posted 3 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

3 Months Ago

Thanks, John :)
Clever and painful at the same time! Conjuring up a sharp image of those things that we never foresee, but exact a toll,, especially if we never get to red the new again! Great write especially for a fifteen minute prompt!

Posted 3 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

3 Months Ago

Thank you, Crowley. In all fairness, I did change one or two words, but the shell of the poem remain.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 9, 2024
Last Updated on January 9, 2024

Author

Mari' Emeraude
Mari' Emeraude

Denver, CO



About
I am a writer, journalist, and poet from Denver, Co who remarks on my fulfilling life in rich, poetic (and sometimes humorous) ways. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aimer Aimer

A Poem by lightsong


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong