Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by KW Writing
"

Elyza is taken to a new world where anything is possible, even Magic.

"

She couldn’t out run them, they seemed to travel with such speed and agility and she was so tired. She looked back and saw they were gaining on her. As she turned back she took a branch to the face, she couldn’t keep running, they would catch her and soon. Fatigued and unable to go on she turned and yelled as loud as she could and thrust her hands towards them. Her hands began to glow and a gust of wind swept around her, suddenly the men were all flying backwards off their feet, they flew back about 20 feet. Fear and pain spread over each of their faces, eyes wide she turned and kept running away from them. How walking through the barn door led to all this was beyond her, but now she was here and she had to find a way back home.

Finding a small stream she stopped to drink from it. She looked at her hands wondering how they had glowed, but they just looked like her normal hands, no light and no wind. She caught a glimpse of her reflection in the water. She ran her finger through her flaming red hair that was all over the place. Her green eyes as wide and bright as ever. There was mud and dirt all over her face. She washed her face in the stream and looked around herself. She started to take in the strange place she was in. There was a green fog laying close to the earth, never had she seen so much greenery before, everywhere she looked there was plant life. She had never seen such strange trees before. There were some that looked like thick ropes twisted around each other, others so tall she couldn’t see the canopy of them. Then there were the flowers that were incredibly bright in colour and the size of both her hands put together. It was in fact a beautiful place to be trapped. She turned her attention to the stream and noticed the water was crystal clear and the creek bed was sand but the banks of it were covered in small smooth pebbles. There were also many large rocks long the banks that were covered in moss. She had the feeling she was being watched but couldn’t see anyone. She turned around and standing behind her was the most breathtaking creature she had ever seen. It was pure black and had a spiraling horn protruding from its head. A Unicorn. She smiled as it reminded her of Lady, her horse back home. It had a wildness about it, something that said it couldn’t be tamed. Wearily she reached out her hand and stroked its head, they both closed their eyes. She felt a warmth beneath her hand and opened her eyes. She could not believe her eyes the creature was changing colour, from black to the most brilliant and pure white she had ever seen. She gasped and took a step back. The unicorn suddenly ran into the trees.

How were these things happening to her? She didn’t understand anything that had happened. It had all started at Elyza’s favorite time of the day. The sun was setting over the rolling hills, she could hear the faint sound of the cows mooing in their fresh paddock and beside her was her father enjoying a cold beer after the long day they had had. It always gave her a sense of peace looking out at the property, knowing it was her home, her sanctuary. Elyza hadn’t had the easiest life isolated from everyone else in their small town. She had flaming red hair and bright green eyes. It didn’t help her cause that she was shy and reserved, nervous of peoples wondering eyes and disapproving looks, not believing that anyone would want anything to do with her. Her Father was her best friend and confidante, they had a bond stronger than most. When he looked at her he saw a gentleness and kindness the same as her mothers and a determination that could conquer worlds.

As they stood enjoying the sunset there was a sudden outburst at the stables. Elyza dropped her beer and ran towards it, her father on her heels. When they got there they pulled the doors open and there in the middle of the barn was a shimmering archway. It was beautiful, blue in colour yet somehow transparent and it had strange intricate carvings from the bottom to the top curve. Elyza slowly walked towards it circling it. She reached out her hand, wanting to know what it was and was suddenly pulled in by her outstretched hand. She had just enough time to look back at her father who was running towards her. It was like being pulled through a thick liquid, she struggled to breathe the whole time, it felt like she was in there for hours. When she finally came out the other side she stumbled right into a large tree. Her breathing started to quicken as she looked around and realised she was somehow in a forest. The trees were so large she could barely see the canopy. She spotted a small path, or what she hoped was a path. So she started walking, taking in all the wonders of this impossible place. It occurred to her that the only sound she could hear was the wind wiping around her, strange she thought, she hadn’t seen or heard an animal and there was a strong wind deep into a forest. She continued down the path, which seemed to be getting narrower and narrower. As she turned a corner around a thick tree it disappeared. She turned back but there was no path behind her either, what a strange place. She started walking in the direction she had been going surely if she went in one direction for long enough she would come across someone or find the edge of the forest, after all there is no such thing as a never ending forest. She walked all day or what she thought was all day, exhausted she found a spot under a tree that was covered in leaves and moss and went to sleep.

When she woke she hoped it had just been a dream and she would find her dad banging on her door to help feed the chooks. Unfortunately the sounds that had awoken her were that of a group of men dressed in heavy armour and carrying swords and shields. She was stunned. Was this some kind of ancient re-enactment thing. She realised no one had noticed her yet.

“Hi, can you help me?” she said standing up.

Suddenly she had about 8 swords pointed at her, one of which was right at her throat.

“State your name.” came a rough voice.

“Elyza Jeffries.” She said quietly.

“What are you doing this deep in the forest? Are you with The Guild?” came the same rough voice.

“I... I don’t really know how I got here. W... what is The Guild?”

“Tie her up we’ll take her back with us.” She had a bad feeling about this.

A young looking boy stepped forward and grabbed her by the wrists and tied them together with a long thick rope. He never even looked at her face.

For three days they pulled her along by the hands, the only time they acknowledged her presence was to shove some bread and cheese at her feet. On the third night the young boy tied her to a stake in the ground as usual only this time she noticed he snuck a look at her face and tied it loosely. Once the men were snoring loudly she slowly snuck her way over to the stake and untied it, she had tried this the first night only it was tied so tightly she couldn’t even loosen the knot, this time it was easy thanks to the boy. She then took the knife stuck in the ground by one of the men’s heads and awkwardly cut the rope from her hands, cutting herself many times. Once free she slowly walked out of the camp site, once many thick trees away she started to run putting as much distance between the men and herself.

It felt like she had been running for hours. A few times she thought she had heard them behind her but on she went. She finally stumbled into an open field with a stream running through it. It seemed unnatural, it was a perfect circle with small flowering bushes the whole way around it. She had never seen such large and vibrant flowers before, they were the size of both her hands put together in shades of purple, pink and yellow. It was like she had stepped into a dream it was so beautiful. On the other side of the opening there was a black horse as dark as a moonless night sky. It turned its head and looked right at her. She realise it was not an ordinary horse, it had a large spiral horn protruding from its head. It was in fact a Unicorn. It was the most beautiful creature she had ever seen. She slowly walked over to it and stroked its nose. From the second she touched it its coat started turning white spreading out from the spot she had laid her hand. A few minutes later it was a glowing pure white Unicorn. Startled she stepped backwards and it ran into the forest.

She was brought back to the present by a rustling noise behind her. A woman stepped out of the bushes. She was the most beautiful woman she had ever seen. She had dark skin, brown like the earth back home, white hair that was pulled back in a tight bun and eyes a piercing blue. She carried a long staff with a blade on one end. She looked a lot like she was a Warrior of some kind dressed in what looked like thick leather shaped like armour. Yet she wore a long skirt that covered only the front and back of her legs leaving the sides open, under the skirt she wore only sandals on her feet. The woman had softness about her that made her think that perhaps she was not all fierce, but perhaps had kindness in her as well.

“My name is Samara, The Guild sent me. I have been looking for you for three days.” The woman said in a thick accent.

“My… my name is Elyza. Who is The Guild and how did they know I was here?” At least this Samara wasn’t trying to kill her like everyone else in this place.

“Oh and where exactly am I?” Elyza asked hopeful she would have an answer that would explain all this.

“You are in Faygle Forest. The Guild help protect those with Magic and those who help those with Magic. When you portal jumped all those with Magic felt you enter this world.” Samara attempted to explain.

“I’m sorry but magic? What did you mean by ‘this world’?” Elyza was now more confused than ever and worried that she would never see her father again.

“Perhaps I am not the best to explain this to you. When we get back to camp Andrum will be able to explain all things to you. We must go before we are found.” Samara decided it best not to tell Elyza that she had been following her since the day before when she had seen what had happened between the Unicorn and her. It was a puzzling thing to happen. There had not been a white Unicorn in many, many years and for a young woman to have changed a Black unicorn white was not possible and yet she had seen it with her own eyes. She doubted anyone would believe her. No one could get near a unicorn let alone touch one, This Unicorn had walk right up to her like it wanted her touch. Who is this girl and how does she have such power?

Elyza was sceptical about going with Samara but if it meant answers and possibly help then what did she have to lose, they couldn’t be any worse than the men who had taken her. So she decided she would go but be cautious and tread lightly.

Samara lead the way across the stream and back into the forest. Elyza felt the silence between them was quite soothing. It wasn’t an awkward silence, quite the opposite, it was a comfortable silence. Elyza had always felt peoples unnecessary talking irritating and had always tried to avoid such situations. This had not made her a very popular person back home but rather a loner, she didn’t mind so much though, she had her horses, her dog and the endless support of her father. All a girl could ever need. Samara suddenly stopped and Elyza, caught up in her reverie, walked right into her and hell back on the ground. Samara grabbed her arm, pulled her up and pushed her forward whispering for her to run. Elyza took off afraid the group of men were back, she didn’t even look back to see if Samara was behind her. If she had she would have seen her hide behind a large tree and wait for the man trailing them as he passed she swung her staff and knocked him off his feet. The man lay there unconscious. Samara turned and ran after Elyza, catching up to her easily. She kept Elyza at a fast pace to avoid any more unsavoury situations. One of their few breaks Elyza decided she wanted so know more about this warrior.

“Are you a Warrior?” she asked carefully.

“I was.” Was her simple response.

“What are you now?” Elyza responded trying to get something out of her without pushing too hard for it.

“Banished.” Was her final response. After that it was time to get moving again.

They made it to The Guild within a few hours without any more trouble, unless you counted Elyza’s clumsy feet as she kept falling over rocks and tree roots.

Elyza could not believe her eyes. It was like a city of tree houses. There were stairs hidden inside a hollowed out tree that led the whole way up to the top. Off the stairs there were bridges that went from tree to tree. The houses themselves wrapped around the tree, like a doughnut with a tree coming out of the hole. It was all very well made with intricate carvings and designs in the banisters, pillars and doors, each as unique as the one before it. Elyza wondered if those who lived in there did the carvings themselves. Samara led the way to what Elyza presumed was the middle of the city. Although it was hard tell as she couldn’t see where the sun was under the canopy of the forest, she guessed it must have been around midday when Samara led her into a large room. It seemed they had found where all the residence were. Nearly every head turned and looked at her, she followed Samara past the rows of people. Elyza had never been so uncomfortable in her 25 years than at that precise moment. They finally came to the end of the room and went through an intricate archway covered by a beautiful tapestry of what she thought looked like a black unicorn and a white one, on the other side was a small group of people. They all looked to be older however one looked much older than the rest, his face covered in wrinkles and what hair he had left was white. Elyza realised then that he was the only other one in either room with hair the same colour as Samara. The room itself was quite empty except a beautiful colourful rug that covered most of the floor. There were pillows piled up in a corner and the group of people were sitting on some of them. Samara stepped forward and bowed to the group, standing up she spoke to the group.

“I apologise for taking so long to complete the task you appointed me. May I present the portal jumper, Elyza.” Once again all eyes were on her and she was not happy about it.

“Hello.” She could think of nothing else to say and thought it seemed inadequate.

“Come forward dear.” Requested the elderly man. Elyza looked at Samara who nodded, so she stepped forward on shaky legs. Never before had she been so afraid.

“Do not be afraid, no harm will come to you while you are here.” It was like he knew exactly what she was feeling. She took another step forward on somewhat steadier feet. The man looked her up and down resting his sight on her eyes. He looked at the surrounding people and with a nod to them they all got up and walked out.

“My name is Andrum. I can sense those with Magic. You have great power I can feel that much. What power it is I cannot say.” He stood and she looked up at him, eyes wide. He was a lot taller than she had expected for an old man.

“I don’t understand what is going on. Is this a dream?” She could only hope it was.

“While that would be a very intriguing dream I’m afraid this is not a dream but very real. You must be careful who you expose your Magic to, not all are kind and accepting in this world.” There it was again.

“Why do you call it ‘this world’?” she asked.

“Ah, that is more complicated to explain. Follow me.” He took her by the arm and led her through another doorway, the room on the other side was much different to the previous one. This room had many shelves full of old leather books and other items, perhaps artefacts she thought. He let go of her arm and waved his arm as if to say’ have a look around’. As she walked she noticed that a lot of the books did not have titles, just symbols.

“This is the records room. It holds the complete history of magic.” He explained.

 She noticed that in glass boxes were an assortment of items ranging from daggers with crystals in the handles to necklaces and rings. She spotted a necklace with a similar stone in it to the one given to her by her father. He had told her it was once her mothers and that her mother had cherished it more than any other of her possessions. As she walk around the room looking at the books on the shelves she spotted a smaller book with a five symbols on it. Looking at Andrum she asked,

“May I?” He nodded his head and she took it off the shelf. Running her fingers across its spine where the symbols were.

“What are these symbols?” she asked worried about his response.

“Open the book.” He instructed. Hesitantly she opened it. Inside was a small verse.

The power of four is the key to all.

With the help of a warrior, a believer and a guide,

 The people shall rise up and a grand battle will be fought.

Together they will be victorious and balance shall restore the three worlds.

“What does it mean?” Everything she was discovering seemed irrelevant, what did the ‘power of four’ have to do with her.

“Let me start from the beginning. There are three worlds Wifaria, Borius and Dorfrin. Wifaria is where you are now, it is full of both humans with and without Magic along with magical and non-magical creatures alike. Borius has many powerful magi however they have strict rules in which all citizens must follow. Those who break their rules are punished quite severely. Not a lot is known about Borius and they like it that way. Dorfrin is where you have been living, there is no magic there at all. We once all coexisted in peace with little to no conflict. Then Queen Vesdra unexpectedly died and the world was left in civil unrest. Keldora and Zaymore took advantage of this and took over ruling Wifaria. It has not been a pleasant time since that day. They fear Magic and wish to see all those with magic both human and creature dead or enslaved. Many of our wonderful creatures are on the brink of extinction. Merfolk, Dragons and Sky Turtles, who rarely fly these days, there are only a few left. Not to mention Unicorns are now more dangerous than any other creature here, many have died at their hooves or horns. Here at The Guild we strive to protect those who they would see destroyed. That book you hold tells of a prophesy of our resurrection, if you will. I believe it refers to the four elements being what brings us all together to stand for one final battle that will win our freedom.” He looked both sad and proud when he finished telling his story.

“What does this have to do with me?” she asked not wanting to offend him but having no idea how this related to her.

“Portal jumping is no easy task, only one from magic can do it. You my dear are from magic whether you want to be or not.”

“How is that possible? I have never had magic before.” She was getting frustrated. She didn’t want any of this.

“That is where you are wrong. I believe you are the daughter of Alyssia. In order to protect her she hid her daughter away from magic at the rise of the Queen. Your mother was very powerful and was hunted by the Queens Order until they found her and killed her.” Elyza couldn’t believe what she was hearing, a tear started falling down her cheek and anger filled her heart.

“No! My mother’s name was Alice and she died in a car accident. She wasn’t from some magical land and she was not killed by an evil Queen.” She felt her arms start to go warm gain. She looked down and they were glowing again, only brighter this time. The wind started to swirl around her getting so strong, she could feel her feet lifting off the ground. Her eyes met Andrums and she saw a mix of wonder, fear and sadness in them. She closed her eyes and blocked all thoughts of her mother from her mind. The wind started to fade and after a moment was gone. She turned and ran from the rooms, across the bridges, down the hidden stairs and back into the forest.

Elyza kept running until she was lost deep in the forest. When she finally stopped she was in a clearing. She did not want to go back but she also did not know where to go from here. She sat down against a tree on the edge of the clearing. Tiredness swept over her and her eyes got heavier and heavier, she shook her head trying to wake herself up but it was useless her eyes closed and she fell into a deep sleep.

Back in The Guild’s camp Andrum called Samara into the records room. He picked up the book Elyza had dropped in her rush to escape.

“I don’t understand Samara. Why would she run? It is her destiny to help our cause.”

“Andrum you just flipped the girls world upside down. You can’t expect her to turn on everything she’s been told her whole life in an hour. She needs to see this world, to experience the good and the bad sides of it. In the end it will be her decision.” Samara could understand Elyza’s urge to run.

“You understand her?” he asked.

“I don’t know her well enough to understand her, none of us do. I know what it is to have everything you know ripped away from you.” A sadness enveloped her at the memory of her home and family. Andrum placed his hand on her cheek and raised her face to look at his.

“You were always so good at hiding the pains of your past. You cannot heal without facing them.” With that he dropped his hand and turned back to the shelves of books.

“You must find her Samara. Do not interfere with her journey but keep her from any harm.” She nodded and left him to his thoughts and books.


© 2017 KW Writing


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on April 11, 2016
Last Updated on September 1, 2017
Tags: Multiple Worlds, Fantasy, Unicorns, Magic


Author

KW Writing
KW Writing

Australia



About
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens Brown paper packages tied up with strings These are a few of my favourite things. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by KW Writing


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by KW Writing