Part 8

Part 8

A Chapter by Haley Lynn Thomas
"

In that moment I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

"

Sid stopped when he saw Jeffrey. They both sized each other up. Sid puffed up his chest in an attempt to look tougher.“Who's he?” They both demanded at the same time. They glared at each other.

I stood there awkwardly, not sure what to do. “Um, Sid,” I began. “This is my boyfriend Jeffrey. Jeffrey, this is my roommate Sid.” I knew which word out of that sentence Jeffrey would pick out.

“What do you mean roommate?” He queried. I gulped. “Well, um, I live um here, in this um apartment, with um Sid.” I managed to stammer. Jeffrey's face turned a bright shade of tomato red. “You what?” He thundered angrily. I cringed. “It’s not what you think!” I cried desperately. “We just live together out of convenience. We're just friends! There's nothing else going on, I swear to you.”

“You really expect me to believe that you two just live together and aren't involved?” Jeffrey practically spit the words at me. In that moment I wanted to crawl into a hole and die. Jeffrey had anger issues, especially when he was drinking too much, but he was rarely ever upset with me. We almost never fought. “Jeffrey, really,” I said, almost begging now. “Nothing is happening between Sid and I. We've known each other for a really long time and our relationship's always been platonic. I know what this looks like, but it's not at all what it seems. I'm...not...cheating...on...you.”

“Why should I believe you?” Jeffrey demanded. You've already lied to me!”

“I didn't lie to you!” I snapped. “I never told you about Sid, but I...I just didn't know how to. I was going to tell you eventually, when the time was right.”

“Did you really think I'd be okay with this? Ever?”

“It's really not that big of a deal, Jeffrey.” I said. Instantly, I knew that I had said the wrong thing. Jeffrey looked like he wanted to punch me in the face. His hands curled into fists and his whole frame began to shake vigorously. “How can you even say that?” He hissed at me. “You know how I feel about living with someone, especially of the opposite sex, before marriage. You told me that you felt the same, that we had the same views and morals, and I believed you.” Sid snorted. Jeffrey ignored him. “I thought we wanted the same things, Eleanor, but maybe I don't know you at all.”

“Jeffrey!” I gasped. Sid finally spoke up. “I know who you are.” He said stiffly. “You're Jeffrey Howell, son of Theresa and Scott Howell, the founders and owners of Soft. You're a filthy rich socialite who's had everything in life handed to him. Unlike Lennie, who's had to work hard for everything she has. Lennie's an amazing girl, and she can do a lot better than you!”

“How dare you judge me?!” Jeffrey roared. His face was turning purple. The veins in his neck were distended and pulsing. “You don't know me. I work every day of my life, even on weekends. Can I help it that I was born into a well-to-do family? I may have grown up wealthy, but that doesn't mean I don't work just as hard as you do. Maybe even harder. And I'm not living in sin!”

Sid narrowed his eyes at Jeffrey. “You don't know Lennie like I know her.” He told him. He was choosing the words that would hurt Jeffrey the most.“She could never be happy with you.”

“Like she could be with you?!” Jeffrey laughed humorously. “And her name is Eleanor.” He added. Sid rolled his eyes. “Her name is Lennie!” He said. “She hates being called Eleanor.”

“Do you always speak for her?” Jeffrey sneered. “No, apparently that's you!” Sid replied coldly. I had to put a stop to this, now, before the situation escalated any further. The last thing I wanted was for one of them to start throwing punches at the other. “Maybe we should go somewhere else.” I suggested softly to Jeffrey. They both turned their harsh glares on me. “I'm not leaving.” Sid said. “This is my house.”

“I didn't mean you!” I snapped at him. He frowned, seeming confused for a moment. “You're leaving with him?” He demanded, shocked. “No.” Jeffrey said icily before I had the chance to respond. Apparently he did speak for me.What do you mean no?” I cried. Jeffrey sighed and shook his head sadly. “You're not who I thought you were, Eleanor.” He told me. I was stunned. “What's that supposed to mean?” I asked, nearly begged. “It means I'm leaving.” He said. “Without you.” And he did.




© 2012 Haley Lynn Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on April 15, 2012
Last Updated on April 15, 2012


Author

Haley Lynn Thomas
Haley Lynn Thomas

Columbus, OH



About
I write poetry, short stories, and novellas. Most of my poetry is inspired by real people and events in my life. more..

Writing