Phantom

Phantom

A Poem by Heather D
"

I wrote this with the hopes of submitting an unrhyming poem for a grade in creative writing. I'm trying to grow as a writer, some honest opinions please! :)

"

By day I smile.

The moments pass

And I'm happy.

Content.

I can ignore

The emptiness

That resides

In my chest.

 

The days drift past

With ease.

But by night,

I can't

Escape you.

The phantom

Of your memory

Haunts

My

Subconscious.

 

I see you.

Sometimes,

You're with her.

Others,

You're still mine.

Each scenario

Wakes me

With the bitter taste

Of adversity

On my tongue.

I don't want you.

Need you.

Know you.

You are nothing

But a fraud.

 

However,

When I close my eyes,

The apparition

 Of what was

Torments me.

You are

My

Demon.

© 2011 Heather D


Author's Note

Heather D
Please please critique away! I really want some feedback, I'm very new to this whole no rhyming thing and need some feedback!!! :)) thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this poem! I have felt this way before and I have hated it. I think you described this situation beautifully. I loved "I can ignore/The emptiness/That resides/In my chest." I know that feeling all too well. I love that your poem is so easy to relate to. Fantastic poem!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great metaphor-lingering thoughts/feelings for a phantom/aparition! I love your word choice! You are a talented poet:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


it worked. i envy you because it never worked for me. anyways, i loved the words you used... "the phantom of your memory haunts my subconscious" "the apparition of what was torments me"
nice!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This came out pretty good as well. It has a tempo that suggests you can read it out loud, which is always a positive for poetry. I personally dislike rhyming poems unless your theme is simplistic, but you did a great job here on an unrhymed one. Good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I don't rhym at all when i write poetry but WOW! this a very great piece to me one of your best you did a amazing Job with this write it's going into my reading list it is inspiring me a bit makes me think of some one letting go of a old love and having no feelings for em anymore like they are numb to feeling them yet their presence haunts them. god bless lily

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like it! You did great, keep going with it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


For whatever reason I'm not a huge fan of non-rhyming poems, but I like this, it has a nice flow to it. The emotion is expressed well, nice work. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think its great...you don't have to re-edit it , at all....I read it, twice, and I feel like , as humans, lovers, hopeless romantics lol...we've all succumb to the feelings you emoted in your wonderful poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very good poem. I like how you twisted the words to create a poem of sadness and anger. The poem got stronger and better with each added line. No weakness in this poem. A very good ending to a outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


To be haunted by a lie is the greatest torment.. To be ruled by some1 who pretended to be who they thought they were... I know when I was younger it took a while to get out of my rhyming phase, Now-a-days I let the poem go where it wants to.. some lines rhyme some do not, but one thing I do know is when I read it out loud many comment on how rhythmic it sounds. So it's content/ quality over technical any day. When you think abt a piece that speaks 2u it was probably the way something was said.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

562 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 8, 2011


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hatred Hatred

A Poem by Heather D