Walking the Dog

Walking the Dog

A Story by Crowley
"

Just a few thoughts...always in my humble opinion, never fact.

"

A writer is not a dog walker. A writer’s job is not to grab the reader by the hand and lead them to the land of epiphany, prophecy or even a satisfactory ending. Those are things that will be left to the heart and mind of the reader. A writer’s job is to stand at the far side of the forest and entice the reader in whispers and clicks, shouts and insults and the occasional come-hither whistle. The writer will mark the path with sapphires, Easter eggs and at times steaming piles of dog s**t that beg the reader to move forward and see what lay on the other side.  The moment the writer abandons the honesty they owe to their characters, their beliefs and their readers, is the moment that the reader will turn back in search for familiar ground. They may walk another path where the writer has paid homage to craft and can convince the reader that they too can identify with the things that make us human and inseparable, cunning and cruel, lusty and loving, fearless and frightened. When we realize that the reader has almost no responsibility in this process other than to return again to words and thoughts they find fulfilling, the sooner we can realize as writers, that life does imitate art and that hard work and honesty are the lynchpins to whatever success means to you.


© 2019 Crowley


Author's Note

Crowley
Keep on Writing!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You always captivate and entice this reader. I never know what to expect but I always leave feeling satisfied. Passion shows in writing. I can tell if writers feel the same about their art as I do. Carry on Crowley :)

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


I certainly hope Dan Brown takes note :)
You are absolutely right, or perhaps write. Each writer has their own ingredients, and the best, in the words of my sweary mouthed, ball-sacked face compatriot, Gordon Ramsay, should show some funking passion. (im giving up swearies for my resolution, again)
No matter the style or genre, if it's written half-heartedly, it will be read the same.
That said, I am grateful that my readers kindly lower their expectations whilst wandering through the minefield of my rambles. I do try, but once you get distracted by a thought about how much fun it would be to juggle baby chicks, it would be rude not to mention it. Hence the confused, yet loyal readers that make my day :)
Great advice, well written.
And they all lived happily ever after...except the chick juggler, who died tragically in an unrelated tapioca incident.
The end. :)


Posted 5 Years Ago


Beautiful way to relate writing to a daily activity! Yes, the writer's job isn't to guide the reader through everything, but to show and not tell. Keep the next moments a mystery, then let the reader uncover them. This was a wonderful example of using acute imagination skills!

Posted 5 Years Ago


That being said, You always do your job Cee, and I hope I do mine:)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Most definitely!!!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 28, 2019

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing
Curfew Curfew

A Poem by Crowley


Nowhere Nowhere

A Poem by Crowley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


the keeper the keeper

A Poem by lightsong