Chapter Two: The Ceremony

Chapter Two: The Ceremony

A Chapter by Plagued Monumentally

Oh, my heart, how it aches,

it needs to convulse,

oh, my pulse, how it quickens,

when I'm with you I lay stricken,

there is no repulse,

for the man that was chosen,

will be mine forever,

even if my heart turns frozen,

but i must achieve happiness,

for it is my endeavor.



   With the gown positioned perfectly on Pandora's small body, and her shoes polished up to the point of shine, she stood strongly in front of men, waiting to be paired. 

   A couple guys caught her attention, but one in familiar did.

   Haylan.

   Although Pandora and Haylan never confessed their love for each other, they could feel it whenever they looked at each other. Their eyes always searching for the same.

   Hayden was wearing a black suit with his family name pinned on the left side of his tuxedo. He looked sophisticated, so...sturdy and emotionless. 

   I guess it was as hard for him as it was for Pandora. 

   "Cinka Norsberry and Greg Witherington," one of the Noble Givers said out loud, pairing the two young adults together. They scurried off, hand in hand, as a way of acceptance to one another.

   "Farah Lily and Sergei Harris," Pandora looked at the Noble Giver who was currently speaking. She had soft amber hair that twinkled under the sunlight of the afternoon hour. Her face was soft as well, but a few wrinkles on the sides of her mouth.

   "Sumi Lentot and Jaxon Samuelle." 

   The suspense of who Pandora was going to get paired up with made her hands shake. She kept looking over at Haylan periodically to see what his reaction was. But he just looked calm and bored.

   "Haylan Mostaf and Hayley Benoit." 

   Pandora's heart dropped like she just jumped off a side of a cliff. She looked over at Haylan who was already looking at her, and tears formed in her eyes. 

   She tried hard to blink them back, but there was no use. Tears strolled down her face and she didn't bother to wipe them away. 

   He walked passed her, and looked back only once and smiled wholeheartedly.

   She couldn't return the smile, so she just watched as they both walked hand and hand, away from the rest of the crowd.

   "Mariko Drew and Jennifere Kelin."

   "Dex Light and Pandora Lancaster." 

   Pandora searched the line of boys for the one that was Dex. She stepped forward, and Dex did the same. 

   He had light blonde hair that shimmered in the afternoon light, and had a smile that she couldn't stop starring at. His auburn eyes with a hint of topaz entwined together starred back at me. 

   We walked towards each other, gave each other one smile, and walked towards the Noble Giver. They gave us a couple words of reassurance before sending us off to the Hall to find out living arrangements. 

   They both walked in silence down the meadow, not knowing what to say to one another. 

   "Well, I'm Dex." He stole a sideways glance over at her.

   Pandora's stomach churned in response, not wanting this man to look at her right now. She knew that the chances of  being paired up with Haylan were slim to none, but she still couldn't believe it.

   "Pandora," she mumbled grimly.

   "Yeah, I know who you are. We were in Archery classes together for 3 years. You almost shot me in the leg when we were doing target practice." He laughed at the memory, but Pandora kept silent, not finding this situation funny or convenient. 

   "Oh. I guess its too late for an apology, then," she kept starring down at the green grass, wishing that she could be as bright as the grass was. 

   "Don't worry about it. Long time ago." He put his hands in his pockets, and she couldn't help but remember a couple nights ago when Haylan did the same.



    After going to the Hall to find out where they were suppose to live, Dex and Pandora were on a train that floated in thin air, passing through and over tall buildings and down the tunnels that were located under the firm and solid ground.

    She starred out the window, her legs coming up to her chest, as she hugged herself in comfort. She always knew that in the end, you are your greatest ally and enemy.

    Worried thoughts about her future consumed her brain, leaving her with anxiety and angst. She knew she should give Dex a chance. But there was something about letting another male specimen that made her grieve with resentment.

    "I know this is probably awkward for you-" Dex started to say, but was cut off by the screeching sound of the train coming to a halt.

    "Alright! Area 105 for Dex Light, Pandora Lancaster, Nora Fibira and Nolan Sunbrook!" The train master said to the passengers.

    Pandora and Dex got up at the same time. 

    Dex, being a gentlemen already, let Pandora go ahead of him. Once she passed him, he followed closely behind her. His eyes resting on the back of her head intensely. 

    "As I was saying. I know this is probably awkward for you. Since we haven't even had one conversation, but if we gave each other a chance, this could work out perfectly. I'll try if you do," his voice was hopeful, but at the same time imperious towards her. 

    "Lets get settled in our new home first, before we talk about anything else. We won't be talking for a couple weeks yet, anyways. Summer starts soon, only a couple more weeks of University and then we can plan our life together. Ceremony of Mating was just to make it official, but we still have different lives we need to finish first." Pandora explained in a cogent manner. 

    "Alright." He nodded his head, but instead of saying anything else, he clenched his jaw as if fighting back an urge to say something else.

    Dex pulled out a piece of paper from his pants pocket, with an apartment number on it. 

    Pandora looked curiously at it, and caught the number 103.

    "Do you have any idea where that is?" Pandora asked him, raising her right eyebrow. 

    "Yes, right up that hill and to the left. Glenora Heights Chamber." 

    "Sounds scary." 

    "I'll keep you safe," he wrapped his arm around her waist, and Pandora didn't even begin to protest. There was no use for it, she had to get used to this.

     He was hers now, and she was his. There was no denying or fighting that.



© 2011 Plagued Monumentally


Author's Note

Plagued Monumentally
What do you think about Dex?

Thank you for reading! Reviews are appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

He seems nice, but some people arent as they first seem. But i do like the chapter and cant wait to read more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


its really good i love it

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is really good so far. Dex seems sweet, but I like Haylan :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great description of scenery and the people. I like the internal thoughts and the description in this chapter. I like her attitude. Accepting safety and being careful. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 24, 2011
Last Updated on August 24, 2011


Author

Plagued Monumentally
Plagued Monumentally

MS



About
So it's been a couple years since I've been on this site, and lots has changed. Most of my writing is between two to three years difference to the stuff I'm writing now. Please pay attention to the di.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..