Chapter Five: The Final Goodbye

Chapter Five: The Final Goodbye

A Chapter by Plagued Monumentally
"

Haylan will still be a major character.

"

   

    Pandora walked over towards the bed and brushed her hand across a photo of the two of them when they were kids.
  Pandora had the same long blonde hair, but from what looked like the wind, it was across her face. Her eyes were scintillating and deep brown. They sang with happiness.
  Haylan had short brown hair that was no longer than one inch long on top, and small sideburns that made him look mature for his age. His eyes were green, even though they were brown now, they were still beautiful and bright.
  Haylan walked up behind her and rested a hand on her shoulder. "Ah, the good ol' days." 
  "You make us sound old. And it was only 5 years ago." 
  "Aren't we?" 
  "We're only 18." 
  "18 is pretty old. Our lives are set up in stages, and then we die. We completed the first stage. The last 2 stages are going to be tough."
  "Motherhood and Elder." Pandora let out a soft sigh and sat down on the bed, making the laminated pictures move slightly.
  "Fatherhood and Elder for me." Haylan sat down beside her, a couple inches of space between them. He ran his hand across the pictures and picked up the one of Haylan and his 16th Birth Celebration.
  "Aw, look at your adorable smile." Pandora looked from above his shoulder.
  "And then you pushed my face in the herb cake. I smelled like peppermint for the next week."
    Pandora and Haylan laughed in sync, their melodic high pitched voices rang throughout the idyllic atmosphere. 
    When their laughter faltered, Haylan looked curiously over at her. "What did you come here to talk to me about?" 
   Pandora broke away from his gaze and starred at the pillows. "I guess I just wanted a couple more hours of us, before...we finally move on with our lives." 

    "Yeah..." 

    "You two seem to like each other," Pandora said, changing the subject and  then looked around the room, noticing that it hasn't changed since they were kids. 

    "Who?" Haylan raised a curious brow up at her.
    "You and Hayley."
    "Well, we're just trying to make the best out of it. I mean, we are forced together by the Ceremony. There's no way out of it now," he averted his eyes to the ground. 
    "I know."
    "How are you and Dex?"
    "We're alright. We don't know a whole bunch about each other, but we are alright."
    I don't think there was ever a time when Pandora felt awkward around Haylan. There were so many things that they wanted to say to each other, but they didn't have the nerve to actually say it.
    "I hope nothing will change between us, Pan."
    "We have to, Haylan. We can't be hanging out all the time. We belong to two different spouses."
    "Why can't we go to the Council and request us to be together? Pandora, we belong together. Ever since we met, there was a spark between us. Everybody saw it, but until now, we were completely oblivious to it." Haylan couldn't meet Pandora's eyes.
    "I don't think that would be good. I mean, we're already developing fast relationships with our spouses. And plus, I think change would be good for us, even if we liked how it was before the Ceremony." 
    "I sure did..." His voice wandered off, lost in thoughts. 
    Haylan always had a devious way to getting what he wants, whenever he wanted.
    "Haylan...We have to move on. Its the only way. We'll always be friends, you know that." She rested one hand firmly on his shoulder, squeezes it a little in reassurance. She ever liked these kinds of situations.
    "But not like we used to be." 
    "Yes, not like we used to be. But letting in new people will be good for you, it'll be good for the both of us. Just trust me." She rubbed his shoulder lightly, making him feel a little more comfortable.
    "I won't forget the moments we shared, Pandora. They will forever be in my heart up until the day I die. Memories like that are the one that made me into Haylan Mostaf. You know me from the inside out, and I hope you continue to do so. I love you, Pandora. There is no denying or changing that." He spoke softly, but loud enough to get the message across.
    "And you'll always know me inside out." 
    "I love you," he repeated more gently this time.
    "I love you too."


    "How did it go?" Dex asked as he moved his arm a little to get a comfortable position. 
    Pandora rested her head on his chest, her body warming up to the curve of his nicely.
    He ran his fingers through her hair, making Pandora's eyes feel heavy. "It went good."
    "Did you meet Hayley?" When Dex said her name, there was a twinge of jealousy, but at the same time, hurt.
    Pandora didn't want to widen her curiosity, so she kept her mouth shut. "Yes, but she gave me and Haylan a couple minutes alone." She moved her hand so it was resting on his stomach, and looked down at it. "Nice girl," she murmured. 
    "Sometimes." 
    "You know her?" 
    "Yes." 
    "How?" 
    Dex took a couple moments to reply, "we used to be..." His voice wandered off, as if to find out the right word, "close."
    "How close?" 
    "Very." 
    "Like me and Haylan close? Or..." 
    "Relationship wise." 
    Pandora gasped a little. She knew that by saying this, that she would be considered a hypocrite. "You aren't suppose to have relationships until after the Ceremony of Mating. Dating is forbidden." 
    "Says the girl who made love to her best friend." He grunted.
    "I know I shouldn't be talking, but I'm just informing you." 
    "I already knew that." 
    "Well I'm refreshing your memory." 
    They both fell silent. The zephyr article of clothing made her a little chilly, so she put the blanket around the both of them.
    "Tell me something about yourself." Dex said.
    "Personal?" 
    "Yes." 
    "Sometimes I go to the train station and analyze people by my hunches. If I see a family, I would imagine what their lifestyle is like. Its just a hobby I picked up when I was a kid."
    "That's very interesting." Dex made tiny circles on the tops of her right shoulder with his fingertips. 
    "Your turn." She closed her eyes, goose flesh rising on her arms as the tingling sensation made her eyes heavier.
    "I'm jealous of your relationship with Haylan. Like you should be with him instead of me." He said cowardly. 
    "Don't be." 
    "But I am." 
    "I knew ahead of time that me and Haylan's relationship would change when the Ceremony took place. And now that its official, there is no reason you should be. I'm faithful; so trust me." Her words came out slower and more meaningful.
    "I'm trying to."


© 2011 Plagued Monumentally


Author's Note

Plagued Monumentally
My idea of a herb cake is grounded up edible herbs with a icing of sap and liquefied tree bark. xD

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

its good i like it

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 27, 2011
Last Updated on August 27, 2011
Previous Versions


Author

Plagued Monumentally
Plagued Monumentally

MS



About
So it's been a couple years since I've been on this site, and lots has changed. Most of my writing is between two to three years difference to the stuff I'm writing now. Please pay attention to the di.. more..

Writing