Chapter Six: The Wealthy Parent

Chapter Six: The Wealthy Parent

A Chapter by Plagued Monumentally
"

Remember; Cypryas is the world that Pandora is living in | Longer chapter this time!

"

    "Do you want anything to eat? My family supplied us with enough fox and duck that can last us the next 2 weeks." Dex searched through the fridge, getting lost in his own amazon rain forest.

    "I'm not that hungry right now. I'll tell you when I am, though." Pandora smiled over to him from the living room. She was sitting in the middle of the leather cushioned couch that was tinted a white wine color.

    All of a sudden, Dex went still, and put his fingers to his temple again. He closed his eyes, and stood like that for over 3 minutes.

    Just when Pandora got up to check on him, Dex's eyes flew open and  he smiled. "My family just invited us to dinner. I guess I won't have to cook after all." 

    "Even if I were to be hungry when you asked me, its a woman's job to cook for their husband." 

    "Soon to be husband," he corrected with a grin.

    "Yes, soon to be husband." 

    "Why don't you go put on something a little less casual?" 

    Pandora looked down at herself, "why? You don't like the way I look now?" A daring grin strolled across her face.

    "I love the way you look now. But this is your first time meeting my parents, shouldn't you dress up a little?" 

    "Do you expect me to wear my wedding gown?" Pandora laughed a little.

    "Okay, maybe not that formal."

    "I never knew there was an above and beyond to dressing formal. Huh, I guess you learn something everyday. Alright, fine, I'm going." She stuck her tongue out to Dex, and he returned the same gesture, and then she left to get changed.

    "How's this?" Pandora walked out slowly, wearing a deep sea blue short dress that twinkled when she turned towards the sun. It was a V-neck, but she was wearing a zephyr sweater that covered her bare arms.

    Her hair was french braided in the back, her long blonde hair perfectly braided into a fine french braid. It moved back and forth behind her when she walked.

    "You look beautiful," Dex answered after a couple minutes of studying her appearance.

    "You mean...you approve?" She asked with sardonic enthusiasm.

    "Yes, I do approve. You look very formal, but not too formal." He starred down at her bare feet. 

    Since all the people of Cypryas don't wear shoes, they often walk barefoot everywhere. 

    Dex was wearing a white formal shirt that was tucked into black dress pants. His hair was messy and all over the place, but it suited him.

    "You look nice too." They walked side by side when they exited the apartment building, strolling down the endless sidewalk to his parents house.

    "When we get there, don't be surprised if my parents don't warm up to you right away. They are very...judgmental at first. But I'm positive that they will like you." He paused and looked over at Pandora, "I mean, who wouldn't like you?" 

    Pandora blushed at that small comment, but then pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm not good with first impressions, so bare with me." 

    "Will do, my love."

    Pandora rolled her eyes in amusement and continued walking, a slight breeze hitting her forehead, making her a perfect temperature. 

    "Its nice outside," Dex commented.

    "Yes, it definitely is."

    "Maybe the person above is making it perfect for us." 

    Pandora looked at him, her eyebrows coming together in disappointment. "We do not speak of the higher power on Cypryas. There is no good walking this planet. There is nobody watching over us to keep our men, woman and children safe."

    Dex bit down on his lip and looked down the rest of the way.

    Pandora sighed. She knew that she got a little too defensive over the little things, but if she didn't, she was afraid that they would turn into big things.

    Being defensive was the only emotion she knew how to do well.

    They stood in front of a Victorian house with long white pillars and ponds on either side of the sidewalk. Amongst the water, there was fish swimming and toads perched on the wet, slimy rocks.

    There was flowers around the outside of the house, making it even more beautiful.

    "Your parents are Mr. and Mrs. Light?"

    "Hence my last name," he nudged his elbow into the side of her arm playfully.

    "I never really payed attention to your last name. You're the son of a successful business man and woman. And why do we live in a crappy apartment again?"

    "The money gets old. Eventually you get tired to getting everything done for you. I wanted to have something that was mine and wasn't paid for. I wanted to build on something we both created." The power in Dex's voice threw Pandora a little off.

    "That makes sense." She replied.

    They both walked up the long sidewalk. Pandora was starting to get tired of seeing the same gray and white concrete.

    Dex rang the doorbell two times, then we both waited.

    And waited.

    Finally, a gray haired lady with clear glasses and thin black frames stepped into view. She was wearing a gold dress that came just below her knees with lace pattern on the end. She wasn't too thin like Gesette, but full enough to fit the dress perfectly.

    "Hello Cedany," Dex said and hugged the older lady.

    "Hello my precious son," she smiled and hugged him back, her hands coming up his back. Her nails were long and filed nicely so they were round at the tips. There was a ring of Commitment on her finger. There was a red diamond in the middle of it, indicating she got married in the month of January.

    "This is my...This is Pandora." He stepped aside, and Cedany extended her hand.

    Pandora shook it with a smile, starring her in the eyes for a few seconds before averting her gaze back to Dex, and dropping her hand by her side.

    "And this is my mother, Cedany." 

    "Its very nice to meet you," Pandora said in a friendly tone.

    "I'm not sure if it is or isn't yet. But why don't you come in and sit in the main living room and I'll whip up something that I'm sure you both will enjoy." 

    Pandora almost choked on her words, "alright. Thank you." She stepped inside and the smell of scented candles and flowers tickled her nostrils.

    Dex and Pandora both looked around at the pictures plastered on each set of walls. They were baby pictures of Dex and a couple other people that she didn't recognize.

    A strong hand was placed on her forearm, and she looked up to see Dex guiding her to the main living room.

    It was large. There were 3 couches positioned around a clear glass coffee table with books and flowers placed on the top of it.

    The middle couch was a peach color, and it glistened in the sunlight of the open windows. The other two were white silky couches that made the beige carpet stand out.

    The walls were shiny, and there was no speck of dirt or smudge anywhere. They were white, but with a few artistic paintings. The one above the fireplace was the one that stood out to Pandora the most.

    It looked like an angel, but with a soul coming out of its body. There were no features in the faces, just white, artsy lines that made each person have a different impression.

    "Pandora?" A voice called.

    She snapped out of her concentration and turned towards where the voice was coming from.

    Cedany was standing there, holding a tray out in front of her.

    "Sorry, pardon?" Pandora asked politely. 

    "I was just asking you what kind of tea you like." She walked around her and set the china glass tray on the coffee table.

    "Do you have Jasmine tea?"

    "We have almost everything. Yes, Jasmine is in our tea pantry. I'll go get that for you. Just sit down and make yourself company. Dex is just in the kitchen putting together the food." 

    Pandora looked around. She didn't even notice that Dex left.

    Maybe thats something she shouldn't make public.

    Instead, she nodded and smiled. "Alright, thank you."

    Shortly after, Dex came out with another tray of food.

    She took a quick peek and she saw fish, peppermint leaves and bark covered with mushed animal brains.

    Pandora licked her lips, seeing all her favorite food layed out in front of her.

    She peered up from the tray and saw Dex smiling over at her. "Having fun?" 

    "Tons." She said, exaggerating it a little.

    "It'll be better. My mother is fond of you." 

    "She didn't seem like it," Pandora murmured.

    "She has to like you. Theres nothing for her not to like. My dear, you are perfect." He walked over to her, running his hand up and down her arm.

    "I'm not perfect."

    "In my eyes I see a angelic, beautiful angel."

    Pandora brought her hand up and held her hand on his that was halfway up her arm. "And in my eyes I see a hero."



© 2011 Plagued Monumentally


Author's Note

Plagued Monumentally
Here are some pronounciations of the names:

Ceh-dawn-ee (Cedany)
Tie-baw-lt (Tybalt)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

really really good

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 28, 2011
Last Updated on August 28, 2011


Author

Plagued Monumentally
Plagued Monumentally

MS



About
So it's been a couple years since I've been on this site, and lots has changed. Most of my writing is between two to three years difference to the stuff I'm writing now. Please pay attention to the di.. more..

Writing