The Escape

The Escape

A Chapter by A.A.Romanczuk

Rada seemed restless and the days were spent as if in a feverish daze. The boy went to the village school but could not focus on his studies. He avoided contact with all except Rada and seemed to be in low spirits. But then something occurred that forced him to abandon his childish melancholia and embrace the inevitable.

That day Mirti came home from school, his parental abode was up in swirling, angry, red flames and Rada was waiting for him with two steeds of evident noble lineage.

“We must flee immediately. Every moment the danger increases. I trust You can ride?” “I cannot.” “ Now is as good a time to learn as any, up you get.” “How will You ride.. You’re a tree…..” asked Mirti, clumsily seated on the horse. In the time it takes a candle to flicker, Rada sat on the horse in perfectly human form. Mirti gazed at him agape. “I would love to know Who You are..” he said. “No time for that, lad” answered Rada saying something to the horses( in a tongue unfamiliar to Mirti) that caused them to stretch into a fierce gallop.

            Just when Mirti thought that his poor body could withstand no more bouncing about in the saddle, the horses drew to a halt near the edge of a forest. They had galloped across open fields for more than half the day and the shade of the trees was very welcome.

“How do You like riding?” Mirti grimaced and rubbed his back. “I should like it a deal more, sire, if it did not jolt so and the saddle were softer.” Rada laughed a laugh that seemed to rumble from the depths of his belly. “You are cheerful..will You not tell me what happened to make us flee so suddenly? What of my parents? Did they escape?”

The countenance of Rada at once seemed veiled as if a cloud had dared to hang over the prospect of the sun. “I suppose I must tell You…someone has figured out who You are..how, I do not know..who, I do not know…that is why we are going to seek the shelter and the wisdom of the sages. I am not going to tell You where we are going..it is better not to speak the name, for the enemy may have spies and at this moment, their dwelling is unknown except to a choice few. That was the cause of the fire in Your village, boy…Your parents..I regret to inform, were consumed by the fire.”

Mirti nodded only and sat on the ground. Rada placed his hand on the boy’s shoulder as a means of comforting him. “Do not trouble yourself with thinking about it…oft in that way, we hinder the healing that would come were we to make ourselves at peace with what is…it is difficult, I know..but try to think forward.” Mirti nodded. Rada sighed and rose“Come, I will show You how to care for Your horse.”

Rada showed him a myriad of brushes and to how to groom in the direction that the hair grows. He showed him how to polish the saddle and the bridle so that they would not creak and how to keep the bit from rusting. He showed Mirti which plants would help the horse and which would harm him and how to discern the state of his health. Finally, he gave Mirti a brief speech. “ Remember that the horse is one of Your greatest assets..he will keep You warm, he will carry You and protect You from danger, and he will provide companionship. Remember to care for his needs before Your own. Never use brute force. You must tell the horse what it is You want from him, You must work as a team. He is not Your slave, he is Your willing co-worker. That being said, I give You this horse for Your own.” Mirti stammered a thank You and the both of them went off to prepare a place to sleep.



© 2010 A.A.Romanczuk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on September 11, 2010
Last Updated on September 11, 2010


Author

A.A.Romanczuk
A.A.Romanczuk

NJ



About
“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde Feel free to check out my first publis.. more..

Writing
Snow Snow

A Poem by A.A.Romanczuk


Home Home

A Poem by A.A.Romanczuk