Chasing The Lilac Skirt

Chasing The Lilac Skirt

A Chapter by A.A.Romanczuk

Dinner was served in a colossal, hexagonal marble room with Grecian columns and striking Moghul style windows. The ceiling was domed glass with crystals hung at its edges to reflect the sun light and the floor had a patterned mosaic inlay favoring Mediterranean, lively colors. The dinner table was circular, of course, and of plain dark wood with a marble top matching the walls. The chairs were of matching wood with thatched white seats.

All of the sages were present and a strange girl that Mirti had not seen before. They ate only such food as could be gathered in the surrounding wood and grown in the garden, no blood was shed to nourish them. And this fare they ate not off of crystal nor porcelain but off of clay gathered from Mother Earth.

A toast was made first to the health of the guests and then to the health of the Chief Sage. “O Wise Dharma, as You are well aware, Mirti and I had to flee his village because of a malicious fire. Do You have any tidings as to who is responsible or who has discovered who Mirti really is and how?” “What has occurred is grievous indeed..I did not expect the need for Mirti to be ready to come so soon..as You know, the prophecy is chronicled only in my library and in the main temple of the capital,Tsrif. The King must have found someone clever enough to get past all of the barriers.As You also know, we had been deceiving him that all copies of the prophecy had been burned but he has from the beginning been skeptical. As for Mirti…the King has placed his spies in every village..and being a scholar well-versed in history, he figured out who You are and thus assumed Mirti is the boy of the prophecy. We cannot underestimate our enemy, Rada. Not any longer. That being said, Mirti will be trained properly..after that..I submit to the will of the gods, as must we all.” Rada bowed his head. Mirti nudged him in the side. “What?” “ The library…” “Ah..yes, I had quite forgotten…” he said and turned to the Sages”Might Mirti be permitted access to Your library? He wished to look through the writings of Lufituaeb.” The sages looked at one another and began to argue. Sage Dharma held up a hand at which they all quieted. “Peace, my brothers, peace…I see no harm in it..indeed, it would be well for the boy to educate himself, a little.Yes, Mirti, You may read whatever You like in our library but take care that You adhere to Your studies first and foremost.” “I thank You from the bottom of my heart, O Chief Sage” responded he and the meal went on.

Chief Sage Dharma clapped his hands and announced the free hour. Mirti looked about wondering what to do with himself when he saw the edge of a lilac skirt disappearing through the door and decided to follow.

A female that could not be far from his age stood bent over the courtyard railing in silent reverie. Quite stunning were her tresses black like the raven’s wing that fell in soft waves down her back, ending at the waist; only Mirti wished that he could see her face. She was clad in a simple lilac muslin dress that was high waisted( not unlike the fashion of the Empire period in our world) with only a little lace touching the ends of the sleeves hanging loosely near the elbows and a little near the neck and the hemline. Her head was bent persistently towards the West and her hands folded as if in prayer. Was she praying? He decided to risk disturbing her peace.

 He touched her shoulder lightly causing her to jump alarmed. “Sir, whatever do You mean by touching me so familiarly when we have not yet been introduced? Why have You followed me?” she demanded. She had a small childish face that was contradicted by her serious eyes in which it had pleased the gods to capture the colour of a fierce storm. An indignant blush crept over her cheeks rendering her even more interesting. “Forgive me for invading upon Your privacy, miss. It was curiousity that led me here for I observed You at the dinner table and could not remember being introduced.” he entreated. She nodded and turned away. He stood staring at her stupidly until she turned back towards him again. “Well, am I ever to know who You are?” she asked not unkindly. “I am called Mirti” he replied bowing. “And I, Rosamond” said she curtsying deeply. “How long have You been here?” “ For two years now” she answered quietly. “Do You live here, then? This is my first day here, I arrived last night.” “You could say that I live here” she assented. “There is more to You, isn’t there? “ “Yes, I beg You..don’t ask me to tell You everything right now. I can’t and we only just met” she said quietly in a breaking voice as she returned her gaze to the mountains. “You can trust me” “You shall have to work long and hard if it’s trust You want from me. It’s something that I am a deal too apt to give but I have time and time again been disappointed by those closest to me…” They stood in silence. “It’s getting dark, won’t they be wondering where You are, Rosamond?” “They let me be” They stood in silence. He unfastened his cloak and placed it around her shoulders. She turned to him, questions in her eyes. “You’re cold..I can’t just stand here and watch You freeze to death” ”You could leave and think no more of it. Why have You taken such an interest in me?” “ I do not quite know myself. But if You would like to me to leave, I will.” “Stay then” They stood in silence. She seemed to awaken after a while. “I should go in” she said. “Will You allow me the honor of escorting You to Your quarters?” She pondered this. “You may go as far as the main hallway with me but I cannot allow You near my chamber. “ He nodded and offered her the support of his arm, which she gladly took. The main hallway appeared before them shortly, forcing them to take leave of each other. “It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” “It was all mine” replied he to this. A set of bowing and curtsying transpired.  “God give ye Good Night” she began. “And ye in it Peace” he returned. “And ye Awakening to His Day” she finished. Thus they bid each other Good Night as the custom dictated it.



© 2010 A.A.Romanczuk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ohh i dont know why i fely its like strange things happening
all through this writing..first this need a little editiing
but i could and am used to understand anything i read ,ha ha
but who is this girl he just saw ,you strangely make things
sound so intriguing,i just want to jump to conclusions
i think you are driving me too,and thats a good sign in a writing
it should always lead the reader in a certain direction
and he should never be left to catch his breath
or left to know that he has found some threads
leading to a result..you can keep him in the dark ,only
gime him some hints here and there,but only for a good cause
and a well planned plot that should unravel slowly
with many doses of little surprises along the way
this is how i write ,this is how i found many interesting reading
why this reminds me of the Chalk Circle ,the famous play
i dont know..i think whats happening is at the smae place ..
its in central Europe ,..am i right..well..
lovely write

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

By the Way ...did You read the previous chapters...If You're confused as to the plot...read the prophecy...it will make everything clearer...I think the prophecy is in the second chapter :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh, naturally it needs editing..it is only the beginning of my first draft :)
Thank You...I hope so...I do not know this Chalk Circle but I suppose that is good :)
Well it is happening in a place that is entirely a figment of my imagination :P Though I am trying to mix Europe..what I am familiar with and India, a recently acquired love with ancient civillization along with touches of my creation based on prior knowledge. I haven't yet named this place...this world..right now I'm giving most things names that might be changed...except for the characters...their names are entirely deliberate...if You want to know why each character is named what..don't hesitate to ask ...
Thank You, Blues :) This is very much appreciated as always :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ohh i dont know why i fely its like strange things happening
all through this writing..first this need a little editiing
but i could and am used to understand anything i read ,ha ha
but who is this girl he just saw ,you strangely make things
sound so intriguing,i just want to jump to conclusions
i think you are driving me too,and thats a good sign in a writing
it should always lead the reader in a certain direction
and he should never be left to catch his breath
or left to know that he has found some threads
leading to a result..you can keep him in the dark ,only
gime him some hints here and there,but only for a good cause
and a well planned plot that should unravel slowly
with many doses of little surprises along the way
this is how i write ,this is how i found many interesting reading
why this reminds me of the Chalk Circle ,the famous play
i dont know..i think whats happening is at the smae place ..
its in central Europe ,..am i right..well..
lovely write

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on September 21, 2010


Author

A.A.Romanczuk
A.A.Romanczuk

NJ



About
“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde Feel free to check out my first publis.. more..

Writing
Snow Snow

A Poem by A.A.Romanczuk


Home Home

A Poem by A.A.Romanczuk