The Chief Sage Proposes...

The Chief Sage Proposes...

A Chapter by A.A.Romanczuk

What strange man he is. That was Mirti’s first thought as he opened his eyes to see the man shaking him awake. Of abnormally short stature and a beard that wound down his chest like an impatient stream, after making many strange salaams, the man showed Mirti his new clothes and what he was to wash with. Then he respectfully withdrew behind the door.

A pair of blue linen pants that were gathered towards the ankles, much like those favored by the Cossacks, were laid out for him, along with a crisp, white linen shirt embroidered with seed pearls and a vest of the same blue linen that the pants were made of. Curious grayish blue stones were embroidered in the shape of suns all over the vest and near the ankles of the pants. White reed sandals awaited his feet, plain but very beautiful in their simplicity.

Ceremoniously, the boy washed himself in the frigid water and put on the clothes left out for him. The attire quite transformed him, he could no longer be Mirti, the village boy. A man, an almost handsome man, stood before him in the mirror. Of lithe build and tallish stature, the clothes lay well on him and the color brought out the darkness of his eyes and the glow of his skin. He could be called neither dark nor fair, it was a happy medium.

On his honest face, the first sign of dawning manhood crept upon his lip and his chin, barely noticeable. His eyes had something reminiscent of a docile cow what with their darkness and the heavy fringe that framed them. And hanging about him seemed a pure glow.

With a nervous sigh after this inspection, Mirti walked out of the room and questioned the strange man about where he should go. “Come along, Young Master, Chief Sage Dharma requests an audit with You so as to determine what is to be done.” Mirti acknowledged his words with a nod and followed silently. They walked through a sunny wooden corridor. The walls looked as if they were thatched with willow limbs and were overgrown with climbing ivy plants. The floor was of smooth grey stone padded with emerald moss. Huge patterned windows of some sort of crystal that seemed to emit rainbows when the light hit it were spread throughout the hall.The whole place had a feel as if it were in the middle of a fairy wood and not in a great palace-like building. “I am Leon and I am to attend to You for the duration of Your stay, Young Master.” “I thank You most profoundly, sir” replied Mirti. “We have arrived. Enter through yon door, the Chief Sage will be waiting for You” said Leon and seemed to vanish almost instantaneously.

Mirti walked through the tall door into a serious but not forbidding, circular room with yellow walls inlaid with grey agate and diamond shaped windows of the same peculiar raindow emitting crystal that he had seen in the corridor. A rug woven of multicolored silk strips lay on the wicker thatch floor by a stone fireplace, where the flames were at the moment, dancing in a lively manner. A few godly tapestries dotted the walls and some scrolls lay carelessly on the low mosaic table in the middle of the room. Clearly, this was a place used by the sages to study or perhaps reflect. Or perhaps it had no clear purpose. Sage Dharma stood by the window, clothed in flowing white robes and turned when he heard the boy enter. Mirti made the proper bow and the hand gesture of respect as greeting. The sage also made a bow, though of lesser degree, took up a small wooden bowl and anointed Mirti’s forehead with oil, then his lips, and lastly the area where his heart lay as a respectful plea that the gods would protect him and that he would think purely, speak the Words of Truth faithfully, and feel the Divine within himself.

“You have rested well, I hope, and find Your quarters suitable?” “Yes, sire. They are to Your merit.” “Good. Good. Of course, I have not summoned You to discuss living arrangements and other such trivial manners. From Your looks, I discern that You are indeed the one of whom the prophecy speaks, therefore I embrace You and mean to assist You in Your mission, wherever possible and necessary. Understand that this is a serious and dangerous undertaking and that we must work as quickly and efficiently as possible. Starting tomorrow, You will study with me after we breakfast after which You will have a luncheon and then have horseback riding lessons with Your horse, after which Rada will teach You about weapons and the art of wielding them, then we shall have a dinner after which there will be a free hour and then You will meditate with me. After that, I suggest You sleep. We will follow this schedule every day until I feel that You are ready. There will be one day a week that will not follow this schedule and it will change every week. I will expect You to understand the seriousness of this situation and to apply yourself. If You are unable to do so, perhaps it is better for this land to be destroyed as it is prophesied alternately. Is that understood, Young One?”

Mirti made a slight nod of acknowledgement.

“Good. Good. I am glad You are quiet and seem sensible. For the rest of this day, You may do as You like. You will be called for meals. Perhaps Rada can show You around. Would You like to meet with him?”

“Yes, sire, that would be indeed a pleasure.”

“Very well..Leon !!!”

“Chief Sage Dharma” said Leon bowing deeply and touching his fingers to his lips to make the sign of fealty.

“Lead the boy to Master Rada.”

“As the Chief Sage wishes, so shall it be done” responded Leon and motioned for Mirti to follow him.



© 2010 A.A.Romanczuk


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on September 21, 2010


Author

A.A.Romanczuk
A.A.Romanczuk

NJ



About
“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde Feel free to check out my first publis.. more..

Writing
Snow Snow

A Poem by A.A.Romanczuk


Home Home

A Poem by A.A.Romanczuk