The Snowfall of '95

The Snowfall of '95

A Chapter by E Chadwick
"

In this first look into the lore of the nameless town, a very long snowfall leads to sinister goings-on.

"

Don’t let the name of this event mislead you. What happened was much more sinister than a simple snowstorm.

 The snow began to fall on January 13, 1995. We usually get a fair amount of snowfall during the winter, so this was no cause for uproar. We began to get concerned, however, when the snow did not stop falling. Flurries rained down on us like ashes for four days straight with no end in sight. When it finally did stop, a collective sigh whispered through the town. We ventured outside into the frigid cold to find three feet of snow covering the ground for as far as the eye could see. Despite this, we were relieved that no crisis had occurred. About a day later, the real threat came.

 I actually had an experience during this time. I remember trudging down a path cut through the three-foot-high blanket of slush. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something in the distance, about 8 yards behind me. It was tall, maybe about the height of a man, and completely jet black. I turned my head to get a better look at it, but once I was facing it, it was gone, as if it were never there. Thinking nothing of it, I continued on my way. After a while, I noticed it again. Only this time, it was closer. I could make out its shape better now. It was a tall, humanoid, shadow-like thing, with long spindly limbs and no features other than shape. It stood completely still with its head slightly cocked to one side, as if it were a curious child. I began to walk faster, acting as though I hadn’t noticed it. I made it safely home without further incident, but I dreaded to think of what would have happened if it had reached me.

 However, I did not have long to wonder. Once I entered my home, I decided to try and calm myself down a little. I lit a fire in the fireplace and turned on my small television. The default channel here is the local news. I was just about to change it when I realized what they were reporting. All over town, people were being found huddled in the snow, paralyzed and looking slightly upward, as though making eye contact with some invisible entity. All attempts to rouse them from their daze were to no avail. I could only guess what had caused this. After the report had ended, it seemed that other people were just as terrified as I. As the attacks continued, people began to take cover. For two days straight, no one left their homes. Workers sealed themselves in their businesses. Windows and doors were locked and barricaded. As time passed and the sun shone again, the snow began to melt. As quickly as it had come, the whiteout had gone, the ground saturated with its remains. Slowly but surely, the locals began to emerge from their hiding places. It seemed that, along with the snow, the entities had moved on. To where? No one knows. Perhaps they found another settlement to terrorize. Perhaps they were destroyed. The events are still under investigation. However, every time so much as a single flake falls, everyone proceeds with caution.



© 2017 E Chadwick


Author's Note

E Chadwick
This is the first chapter/section of my book, Strange Happenings. For context, read the Introduction of the book. I will continue to post chapters as I finish them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

your writing is really captivating. i love how i felt insanely on the edge the unknown.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on May 7, 2017
Last Updated on May 7, 2017
Tags: sci-fi, horror, weird, creepy, mysterious, paranormal


Author

E Chadwick
E Chadwick

LA



About
Hi! Welcome to my profile. I mostly write short stories, but I also write some poetry. All of my work is original, as I am very bad at keeping other people's characters, well, in character. I write a .. more..

Writing