Part 3

Part 3

A Chapter by emma

A chair scrapes against the floor and makes a terrible, chilling sound. Someone pulls it right beside mine. “Elexa, would you mind telling us what happened to your eyes?”

 

“You figured it out,” I snap. “I cut them out.”

 

“I want you to tell me why,” she says.

 

I can’t say anything. For five years I’ve done nothing but try to forget the pain that I felt that afternoon, emotionally and physically. I really don’t want to have to relive it now.

 

But with a sinking feeling in my gut, I realize this is the only thing that will make them believe me.

 

I suck in a deep breath. “Okay. I’ll tell you what happened.” My voice is smaller than I’d intended it to be.

 

I delve into my memories and begin. “It was a Wednesday, and it started off as any other. I struggled to wake up, I had a half-asleep shower, I got dressed, and went to school. But for some reason, my crush, Carson Treeny, took a particular interest in me.

 

“He bumped into me in the halls, and when we both looked up to apologize, his face lit up. I didn’t know why, but then I could see him staring into my eyes like they were all that mattered in this world. I looked, down, conscious of the fact that I could kill him if I wasn’t careful.

 

“But he told me to look up, and that it was all okay. Then he told me I had the most dazzling eyes. They were a luminescent violet-blue, and they always seemed to draw people to them. Oh, the irony, hmm?

 

“Anyways, he coaxed me into looking up again, and I told myself I’d count to five, then look away. But then we were staring into each other’s eyes and I lost count . . . he had dazzling eyes, too, you see? They were shockingly green, and coupled with that electric smile and dimples, I couldn’t tear my gaze away.

 

“Then I got a hold of myself and shoved away. I started screaming. I knew that it had been more than ten seconds. He tried to calm me down and told me it would all be okay, but I knew the truth. He was going to die within twenty-four hours and it was all my fault.

 

“I pushed away and ran down the hallways, crying and screaming and hyperventilating. I got to the girl’s bathroom, and locked myself in a stall. I didn’t come out for a long time, not until the bell rang at the end of the day. I prayed I wouldn’t see Carson again.

 

“But of course, luck never has been on my side, has it? I saw him. I saw him talking and laughing with his friends. I saw him step onto the street. I saw him begin to cross without looking. I saw the bus round the corner with lightning speed. And I saw that bus run right over him and drag him underneath it a few meters. I saw his blood stain the asphalt a deep crimson.

 

“But I didn’t break down until I got home. I kept myself stone-faced until I was in my room, on my bed, and the world was locked away. Then I screamed and cried and threw things across the room and smashed other things with my fists.

 

“That’s how I broke the mirror, with my fists. I pounded it until it broke into dozens of shards. Then I picked one up and closed my hand around it until my skin bled like a red river. Oh, God, it hurt, but I knew what I was doing. Kind of.

 

“Then I got this crazy idea. I wondered if my curse would just cease to exist if my eyes ceased to exist. So I took that shard of broken mirror and I carved my right eye out. Sweet Jesus, the pain was so terrible that I passed out four times before I even got the first eye out. Another five or six times before the left eye came out, too.

 

“Then I passed out again one final time from blood loss and if my mother hadn’t arrived from work early that day, I probably would’ve died. I’d lost a lot of blood. God, what a sight that must’ve been. Two cut-up eyeballs just lying on the floor right next to the daughter drowning in blood.

 

“Anyways, I woke up in the hospital a while later, completely blind. And I’ve never been able to kill again since my eyes are gone.”

 

The room is eerily quiet when I finish. Then someone vomits, and a sort of domino effect occurs. Several people vomit after the first, and then more and more are throwing up until the stench is so vile I puke up my own guts. I’m herded out of whatever room I was placed in and taken to a bathroom. Someone cleans me without saying anything. I relish in the reactions to my story.


© 2012 emma


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on May 6, 2012
Last Updated on May 6, 2012


Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma