Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Sapphire Naylor

Chapter 8

My eyes shot open, a moment of confusion swept over me as I tried to remember what exactly happened and why I was on the floor. Memories came flooding into my senses as I gasped for air. Did I seriously just dream that? I walked over to the sink and splashed water on my face. As I bent over, I sorted through all my feelings; regret, shame, but most of all confusion. What if I saw the future? No, that can’t be normal, even for a witch. If that is the case then why did I dream of Shane? As I tried to wrap my head around the Shane confusion, I realized right Shane was right about how rude I was last night. I changed out of my dress from last night, into yoga pants and a sweat shirt. Going downstairs, I unlocked the front door, completely horrified with myself that I had locked Clara out. When I went into the kitchen I grabbed myself a bowl of cereal, and started up the coffee machine. Scanning the kitchen while I waited for the coffee to be finished, I noticed a letter on the breakfast bar, and walked over to open the letter.

Nora,

I’m sorry I had to lie to you. The reason why I’m telling you now, is the fact that A. you’re old enough and B. we think that you might be in danger. I understand that you don’t want to see me so I just came for a change of clothes. I’ll be at the hotel across the street if you have any questions at all. Please know that your Grandmother loved you and I love you.

Clara

Oh Clara, I thought. I sighed and mentally kicked myself once again. How could I have been so stupid? Walking over I got my breakfast and sat down at the bar. I need to tell someone, that much I knew. After a long war with myself I finally decided to talk to Steph. She is the only person I know who will be flat out truthful with me. I walked upstairs and texted Steph asking if she could come over as soon as possible. Five minutes later I heard knocking at the door and someone letting them self in.

“Hello?” Steph yelled. “Nora, you home? I got your text. Are you ok sweetheart?” I sighed and smiled. Leave it to Stephanie to still be wonderful after a friend was bitchy to her family.

“I’m upstairs.” I replied loudly, the soft thumping of footsteps sounded shortly after I called. There was a soft knock on the door followed by the creaking of the hinges.

“Hey sweetie, how are you after that nuking last night?” Steph said sweetly as she came over and gave me a long hug.

“I survived, and that is the biggest thing. I’m so sorry Stephanie. I am SO sorry!” I said as I cried into her shoulder.

“Shhh” Steph cooed as she stroked my hair. “No one blames you, love. We all understand that that was a lot to take in.” We stood like that for a few more minutes until my tear ducks dried out once again. Steph kissed me on my forehead before fully stepping away, leaving me to catch my breath.

“Steph, can you dumb down everything for me?” I asked once I fully recovered. Stephanie sighed and nodded, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards my bed.

“As my Mother said last night, you come from a long line of penyihirs.” Steph started.

“Pen-a-what?” I interrupted.

“Penyihir, it means witch.” She continued. “Your mother was almost full penyihir, but she had some wolf blood in her, which is how she your Father’s mate. He was a werewolf. Both of your parents were raised knowing who they were, and they started their training at a very early age. They became legends, joining the List when they were only seventeen, which was unheard of at the time. They were well known throughout all the worlds, capturing more creatures than anyone dreamed possible. After about 300 years, they finally decided to start a family.”

“Wait a second. 300 years?”

“Not only does time move differently in the other worlds, werewolf’s age is slower once they hit age 17. Once the werewolf is bonded to his true mate the mate’s aging slows as well, allowing them to live longer. Well shortly after you were born, they went missing. They were found 3 days after they went missing in Paris, France torn to shreds by Shades. That was the year we found out that Shades can be controlled by an extremely powerful penyihir or a wizard. Honestly, the rest of your questions would be answered better by my parents and Clara.” Steph finished.

“I had another dream last night, Stephanie.” I admitted softly. Steph raised her eyebrows, waiting for me to continue. “I was back in the room that I was in before, except I was alone. I went to look at the book in the middle of the room, the one that the wizard was looking at in my other dream. I looked at the book and it had a list of names, most of them scratched out. Before I woke up though, I saw one name that was the only name on the page. It was Michael.” Steph was silent for a moment.

“Let’s go see Clara.” I nodded, knowing that it was best if I told the adults what I dreamt about. I grabbed my keys and phone, and followed Steph out the door, locking it behind me. We walked into the hotel, asking the clerk what room Clara was in. After climbing ten flights of stairs, we finally found her room. Taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door. There was rummaging before it finally clicked open. Clara stood before us completely dressed and awake. I immediately gave her a hug, apologizing over and over again for locking her out. After a while Steph cleared her throat, reminding me that we came here for a reason.

“Clara, I had another dream.” I said. Clara looked at me and nodded, knowing that it was important. She went and grabbed her things and followed us back to the condo. When we got to our level, Clara took my set of keys and went to go put her stuff in her room, telling us that she will be right back. Stephanie led me to her door and I took another deep breath, the dream of me and Shane fresh in my mind. She opened the door and called out to see if anyone was home. A muffled reply came from around the dining area. I slowly followed Steph as she led me to her parents. My mind kept on flashing back and forth between the dream of Shane and me and the moments before I left this condo last night. I held back tears as I remembered the harsh words he had said. Mr. and Mrs. Gray slowly came into view, both of them sitting at the table whispering back and forth as Brian ate his cereal noisily nearby. Steph cleared her throat.

“Mom, Dad. We have a guest.” She announced formally. Both of them looked up at me expectantly. I took a small step back, bumping into something. I turned to apologize and came face to face with Shane. Images flashed rapidly in front of me, from our confrontation last night to the dream. I gasped and wavered, losing my balance as my world spun around me.

“Nora, are you ok?” Shane’s deep voice infiltrated my spinning world, causing it to slow down a little.

“I’m fine.” I replied sharply to his voice, not wanting to show weakness in front of everyone once again. “I came to apologize for my actions last night. There is no valid reason for my behavior and I am truly sorry for my rudeness.” I said formally once my world came back to normal, me wanting to show respect to Mr. and Mrs. Gray. “I also came to inform you of my dream last night.” Mrs. Gray looked at me her face softened. Coming up she gave me a huge hug and whispered in my ear.

“You are always welcome to this home, to this family. Nothing you say or do will ever change how much you mean to us. You might be new but I have known your family for years and I was good friends with your parents. You are a Gray and you will always be one.” Her hands cupped my face as she moved my head down to place a soft kiss on top of my hair. Pulling back she smiled and went back to her spot across from her husband. I looked at Mr. Gray and he smiled and nodded. Clara came up behind me and motioned for me to sit down. I sat down in the same spot I sat last night, everyone following my lead. I looked at Mr. Gray and he nodded expectantly. I took a deep breath.

“My dream took me back to the same stone room I was before, except there was no one in it. In the middle of the room there was a pedestal and leather bound book on top of it. I walked to the book and opened it to the bookmarked page. There were names listed and crossed out. It honestly looked like a hit list. Someone was coming, but before I left I flipped through the book and found a name that was the only name on the page. It was Michael. Then the dream ended.” I finished. Everyone was silent as there were looks tossed around the room like a bouncy ball.

“We need to teach Nora how to defend herself.” Steph finally spoke. Brian nodded as well as his parents.

“I agree. It is too dangerous for Nora to go around defenseless, especially when there are Shades in the area and two attacks on her life.” Mr. Gray stated factually. “Clara, are you ok with this decision?” Clara nodded.

“Anything to keep her safe. I will teach her some spells that might come in handy.”  Brian cleared his throat and spoke up.

“If you want, Father, I could teach her how to fight.” Mr. Gray nodded in agreement.

“NO!” Shane yelled, pounding his fists on the table causing everything to shake. Everyone jumped at Shane’s sudden outburst. “No one is going to teach her how to fight because she is safe with us around.” Shane growled out. I looked at him, shocked. He was breathing deeply, looking like the hulk right before he hulked out.

“Shane,” Brian started. “Why can’t she learn how to fight? I would think that it would be better for-”

“No one is going to lay a finger on her.” Shane puffed out. “She is safe for now. The only time that she wouldn’t be safe, is the formal; in that case I will take her. End of discussion.” I gapped at him. Did he just say that he was taking me to the formal? Everyone looked at me to see my reaction. I just stared not knowing what to say. Steph was forced to talk in my behalf.

“She doesn’t have to go with you Shane. She will be around me during the formal, and if push comes to shove, Brian can take her.” I looked at Steph completely appalled at the fact that we were talking about me like I was someone to be watched over, like a dog.

“Not an option. I will take her or she will have to stay home.” Shane replied sharply.

“Shane,” Mr. Gray started. “Why can’t she just learn how to defend herself? She is well old enough to not have to treat her like an oblivious child.”

“No one is going to teach her how to fight. There is no need for her to get beaten up if she is safe now. I will take her to the formal or she will stay home.” Shane said firmly, staking his ground. By this point Clara had joined in and everyone was bantering about me and what was best for me. I sat there and thought about the moment me and Shane shared in my dream, how he wanted to protect me. I came to a decision.

“WOULD YA’LL SHUT UP?” I yelled. Everyone stared at me in awe, completely baffled that I would yell. “I’m fine without learning hand to hand combat for now. I will go to the dance with Shane and not learn how to defend myself physically IF there isn’t another attack on anyone before the formal.” I proposed. Glaring at Shane, I waited for him to oppose the idea. He took a deep breath and nodded solemnly.

“Then it is settled. Nora will only be allowed to learn magic and will go to the formal with Shane.” Mr. Gray stated in a voice that completely ended the discussion.



© 2014 Sapphire Naylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on February 6, 2014
Last Updated on February 6, 2014
Tags: paranormal, romance, paranormal romantic, book, chapter, fantasy, shadows, Shade, dark, love, regret


Author

Sapphire Naylor
Sapphire Naylor

TX



About
My name is Sapphire (and yes that is really my name) and I'm an INFP. I welcome any new writers and I have been through a lot and understand most peoples feelings. I love writing and anything to do wi.. more..

Writing
King King

A Poem by Sapphire Naylor