Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Sapphire Naylor
"

The formal

"

A bow has to be drawn back, before it can be shot forwards. Though there are many traits that we lack, we shoot through the ones we have. Trials are in our path so we’re forced to make a face, that no matter what we will always bounce back.

-Nora’s Journal

            “Nora! Come on girl, Shane’s here!” Clara yelled from downstairs. I rolled my eyes and closed my journal. Even though we had gotten ready together, Steph decided to leave just before we were fully finished to add to the “wow” factor when we saw each other at the dance.  At first I thought she was kidding, but a death glare told me otherwise. Placing my journal in its hiding spot, I took a deep breath.

            “Any day now, sunshine!” Clara yelled again. Taking my time, I looked at myself in the mirror again. My hair was curled and caressed my shoulders as the dress hugged me in all the right ways. I had a beautiful necklace on, with a simple diamond hanging off of a silver chain. Clara had given it to me this morning, before she was quickly shooed out. Before she explained that it was my mother’s and that she thought it would go beautifully with this dress and, of course, she was right. I held it and looked up, praying that everything would turn out ok. My mind slightly flashed back to the images I saw during lunch on Thursday. It took Steph about a period afterwards to start talking to me again, which was the longest she has ever not spoken to me. About five minutes later, I finally decided to head downstairs and get the photos over with, though I wasn’t exactly dreading being so close to Shane.       

            Pausing at the top of the stairs, I took another deep breath and slowly descended, trying not to trip over my dress. A sense of warmth and comfort bombarded me the further I went, letting me know that Shane was indeed downstairs. Butterflies started to well up within me, causing me to slightly lose my breath for a second. Why was I so nervous? It’s not like I actually had feelings for him, oh wait, I do. I shook my head and tried to ignore the assault of butterflies attacking my stomach. Clara went to the bottom of the stairs, prepared to yell up once again, when she caught sight of me. She gasped and covered her mouth. I looked down in alarm, scared that she could see the shorts I was wearing underneath the dress. She laughed but said nothing. Realizing after a few seconds that she was just staring at me she quickly waved me down, embracing me in a long hug when I reached the bottom.

            “You look amazing! Your Mother, Father and Grandmother would all be so proud to call you theirs.” Clara whispered in my ear, hiccupping as she did. She pulled back and held onto my forearms, her eyes wet with tears. Looking at her cry made me want to cry, so I lightly slapped her on the shoulder and laughed, wiping away any moisture around my eyes while carefully avoiding smudging my makeup. I placed the wire mask that I had been holding in my hand, on my face and turned the corner, where I knew Shane was waiting. He looks so hot in a suit, my first thought when I saw him. Wow, hormonal much? Even though I had already seen him in one, he seemed to actually try to look nice, which is interesting. Oh god. He’s smiling. He is actually smiling at me. How many times has this happened, once, twice? I quickly looked down, knowing that I would get lost in his stormy eyes if I continued to stare. I felt a slight pressure and sparks under my chin as Shane slowly tilted my head upwards. I studied his eyes as he moved his hand away from my face and caressed my hand, bringing it slowly to his lips, lighting exploding in my body when his lips made contact.

            Hidupku, you look beautiful.” Shane said in deep voice that sent chills down my spine. Clara cleared her throat and Shane slowly broke eye contact with me to look at her, but never took his hand away from mine.

            By the time that we had finally finished taking photos and got to the school it was twenty minutes after the dance had started. When we walked into the room everyone was there. I looked around desperate to see Steph’s familiar face, when a feeling started in my stomach. It was the same feeling I got when I knew I was being watched. I tensed and scooted closer to Shane, enjoying the comfort that I always feel when I’m close to him.

            “Nora, what’s wrong?” Shane asked with concern in his voice, taking a defensive, but casual, stance behind me.  

            “It’s nothing. I just feel like someone is watching me.” I replied shyly. I felt Shane chuckle behind me and relax a bit.

            “I can imagine why. You’re the most beautiful girl in the room, who wouldn’t want to look at you is the real question.” He replied with a smile in his voice. Slowly Shane guided me towards the dance floor, his hand firm in mine. Instead of heading into the middle of the swaying bodies, he veered us towards the side. By the time I realized that he had spotted Steph, I was attacked by an over excited best friend.

            “Oh my god, you look amazing!” Steph screamed over the speakers. I laughed and blushed.

            “Not as good as you!” I yelled once I had gotten a really good look at her. She was wearing a long black and white ball gown with an intricate feathered mask. Beside her, her date was talking to Shane about who knows what, and was wearing a bowtie that was marbled black and white. I stood there staring at Shane, not focusing really on what Steph was trying to tell me. As if he sensed my stare he turned and looked at me, a smile growing on his face as he gazed at me. Completely ignoring what Jason, Steph’s date, was saying he turned and walked towards me holding out his hand as he went. As if on cue, the dance changed to a slow song and couples started piling onto the dance floor.

            “May I have this dance?” Shane asked bowing. I giggled like a little girl and nodded my head, his warmth and comfort embracing me, taking away any worry I had earlier. He grasped my hand and led me gently to the middle of the dance floor, everyone making way for us looking as they moved aside. Here I was with the hottest guy in school, walking in front of everyone, hand in hand, to dance with him. I wrapped my hands hesitantly around his neck, not completely sure if this was real or not. He laughed and placed his hands confidently on the small part of my back.  Looking into his eyes I heard his voice in my head, his beautiful, deep voice telling me how much he was glad that I was with him at this moment. I shook my head a little, trying to see if it was just the hormones telling myself what I wanted to hear. Chuckling when he caught my eye again, Shane started swaying with the music.

            We danced there for what seemed like forever, warmth overwhelming me, making me the happiest I have ever been. I figured that I should probably talk to, wanted to, thank him. God I wasn’t thinking clearly.

            “Shane…” I faded off, getting lost in his eyes again.

            “Yes?”

            “Sorry, I just wanted to say thank you for asking, well, taking me. I’m sure you would’ve wanted to take someone-”

            “Don’t you dare finish that sentence. I would’ve asked you no matter what. Wither or not you would’ve said yes to my sorry a*s is a totally different thing.” Shane said cutting me off. I laughed, looked at him and smiled.

            “Of course I would’ve said yes, no one else would’ve asked me anyways.” I said with a sigh.

            “Nora, someone would’ve asked you.” He said with surety in his voice. I laughed and smiled, not exactly knowing what to say to that. After a while I asked him a question that has been on my mind for a while.

            “Shane, you never really told me exactly what is it you can do. You keep dodging my questions. I’m sure it’s nothing bad. Please tell me?” I asked trying to add a layer of cuteness to my voice. Laughing at my attempt, Shane sighed.

            “You’ve already guessed it. I’m sure you know what I am, you’re just trying to avoid an awkward Twilight moment. I’m a werewolf.” He said getting really close to me as he spoke, until by the end, he was whispering in my ear. A chill ran down my spine as he stayed there for a moment before returning back to standing. Before I could ask any more questions, the dance ended and a more upbeat song came on. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around wondering if it was just someone bumping into me as they danced. Brian stood there smiling at me.

            “You look gorgeous! Nora, I would like to introduce you to Caria.” Brian yelled over the music.

            “Why don’t we go towards the back so we don’t have to yell.” Shane suggested, coming up close behind me. Brian nodded and grabbed Caria’s hand, guiding her towards the back. Taking my hand, Shane followed Brian’s lead. When we got to the back Brian lead us towards his sister and Jason.

            “Nice to meet you, Caria.” I said once we got settled. She was a short red head with little kid like freckles hugging her nose. She was dressed in a flaming red gown that had a beaded bodice. She smiled and shook my hand.

            “Well, I’m going to dance. I don’t know about you but I want to have a fun time while I’m here.” I said with a smile. Looking at Shane I dared him to follow and walked away towards the swaying crowd. Laughing I heard Steph follow close behind me. I raised my hands and moved with the beat, closing my eyes and allowing myself to be taken away with the music. Something bad is going to happen. I snapped my eyes open and stopped dancing for a second. Where on earth did that come from? Not wanting people, Shane especially, to worry I went quickly back to swaying with the music. I spun around, not breaking rhythm trying to survey my surroundings. I felt someone move around and come up behind me, dancing with me. Knowing it wasn’t Shane, I turned towards them only to find a drunken student with a joker smile plastered on his face. God where is Shane? Ignoring the student, I focused my attention towards finding the source of my uneasiness. Behind me I felt Shane come closer to me, closing the distance quickly. I turned and saw his eyes glow as he approached the student who was completely oblivious of the approaching danger.

            “Excuse me, but what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Shane growled out as he quickly spun the kid around.

            “Come on man, I was just dancing.” The student slurred out, hiccupping at the end.

            “Well go dance somewhere else.” Shane said through his teeth, his eyes pulsing from glowing to normal.

            “Whoa, dude your eyes are glowing.” The kid stupidly pointed out. Grabbing the kid’s tux, Shane half heartily threw him to the side. Falling on his butt, the kid scrambled to get up and walk away. The feeling that I was being watched returned and book with all the names flashed in my mind, pausing on Michael. Oh my god. When the hell is anyone going to tell me everything? I grabbed extremely pissed off Shane’s hand and dragged him out into the hallway.

            “What were you doing with that guy over there? Were you trying to piss me off?” Shane yelled once we were alone in the hallway.

            “Are you kidding me? That stupid, drunk, guy was just that, stupid and drunk!” I bit out. “What is my last name Shane?”

            “Oh you have got to be joking! You seriously were just going to let that guy get all over you like that?”

            “You’re still hung up on that? I was fine. I was too distracted trying to figure out what the hell is wrong around me, because in case you haven’t noticed, there’s something defiantly wrong. Besides, you still haven’t answered my question.”

            “So you were just going to let it happen. Great.”

            “Oh my god let it go! I really don’t care right now; we have something more important to worry about! What is my last name Shane?”  I yelled out.

            “I’m sorry I’m the only one who is worry about what the hell happens to you.” Shane growled out, turning his back on me.

            “Shane would you let. It. Go? Now what is my last name?” I screamed out.

            “Michael!” Shane shouted, as razor sharp claws grabbed my ankles.



© 2014 Sapphire Naylor


Author's Note

Sapphire Naylor
If there is anything that needs fixing that you see please fill free to comment. Thanks! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Been looking forward to this, nice continuation, great ending, looking forward to reading more :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


That ending....good job trooper you're pulling the devilish cliffhanger card. (I'm so very proud) progressing day by day andddddd maybe "...let. It. Go?.." Should be emphasized, other than that minor thought. Great job

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2014
Last Updated on February 26, 2014
Tags: fantasy, paranormal, paranormal romantic, romantic, love, adventure, formal, chapter, book, shade, shadows


Author

Sapphire Naylor
Sapphire Naylor

TX



About
My name is Sapphire (and yes that is really my name) and I'm an INFP. I welcome any new writers and I have been through a lot and understand most peoples feelings. I love writing and anything to do wi.. more..

Writing
King King

A Poem by Sapphire Naylor