Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by Sapphire Naylor
"

Read and see :)

"

            The way a thing is created it always to start with someone’s hands. They form the object, perfecting it through trial and error, until one day, it is completed the way the creator imagined exactly. It took time and effort to make sure that every detail was exactly correct. Frustrations a common thing, the hands not moving as fast as the brain. Inspiration coming from the most unlikely places at the most random times. The masterpiece will always turn out worth all the blood, sweat and tears it created while making the beautiful creation.

-Nora’s Journal

            The class buzzed with excitement before the bell rung. Steph had taken her seat next to me, winked and smiled as she checked her phone. Outside it has started to snow again, the window glistening of the white fluff as it fell gently towards the cold ground. I was looking forward to tomorrow, knowing that I was going to get pampered for the first time in my life. I looked over at Stephanie, who was still texting the mystery man. As much as I pressed Steph for details, she simply shook her head and smiled wide. Mr. Huttchings cleared his throat and the class fell silent. He announced that we had a pop quiz over the unit and kindly asked people to put their phones away and to get out something to write with. Ever since Sunday, things have returned to normal. It seemed natural for me to come home to a magically based home and a conversation containing the subject of brownies and pixies.

I looked at the quiz as it slithered in front of me, and suddenly worry started to grow inside. I hadn’t studied for school in the past two weeks, my brain traveling to other places during class and when I worked on homework. Beside me, Steph eagerly took the quiz and was breezing through it. Sensing my discomfort she slowly slid her paper in my direction, giving me a good view of her answers. I silently thanked her and started circling down answers. By the time the bell had rung I had one page left. Everyone around me got up and left the room, leaving me with my own embarrassment. I struggled with the few questions I had left. After the bell had rung for our next class to start and Mr. Huttchings’ new class had adjusted around me, I just circled random answers and packed up my stuff, going as fast as I could. I walked up and placed it in front of him, got a pass and walked into the empty hallway. I was about halfway when I heard Mr. Huttchings call my name. I turned around and slowly made my way back.

“Nora, are you ok? You haven’t been getting as good of grades as you normally do, lately. Is it something to do with your Grandmother? Did they find the killer?” He asked with a worried voice. I stared at him as my mind flashed back to the Shades ripping my Grandmother to shreds.

“No sir, they haven’t found the killer,” I paused. “…but they have given me more details about my Grandmother, as well as my parents. I’m sorry I’m doing so poorly in your class. I am honestly trying my hardest to focus and get better.” I finished, the guilt eating away at me for not being the best student I could be. Even after all that has happened, I should be better. The new information in my life is not a good excuse for me to slack in school. I silently prayed to Grandma and apologized for not doing better. Saying goodbye to Mr. Huttchings, I turned and walked to my next class.

 As hard as I tried, I couldn’t focus. When lunch time rolled around I was so grateful for the mental break, I practically skipped to the lunch room. I sat down at our normal lunch table and started eating. Looking around at the other students, I tried to find any of my friends. I spotted Brian first, his jet back hair standing out against his bright colored clothes. He was talking with Shane and a few other hockey players laughing and having a good time. I looked at Shane and noticed that he actually seemed happy to be alive. It looked like he had made a joke and the whole group busted into laughter. A ping of jealously started to grow within me. Why isn’t he like that around me? He glanced in my direction, almost as if he could feel my stare, and I quickly looked down. Looking back up, his attention had returned to the group but he was no longer smiling. I almost felt as if it was me that was the cause that he was no longer smiling. Trying not to dwell on that thought I scanned the room for Steph. It didn’t take me long to find her. She was talking to her date for the formal. Maybe he was the mystery man, I thought to myself. Slowly my vision started to fade. I knew exactly what was coming, as it has happened to me so many times before. Images took over my mind. I was dressed in my gown for the formal, a black mask covering my eyes and I was running through the streets of New York, Shane following close on my tale. Next Brian and Stephanie were battling a manticore. A Shade chasing me and Shane, while Shane was carrying me. The last image showed the ghastly face of the wizard that haunted my nightmares.

When my vision had cleared, my friends were still talking with their other friends. I took a chance and glanced at Shane, wondering why he always ended up carrying me. His piercing glare met my mine, as we locked gazes. I couldn’t pull away; it was like I was hypnotized. As I looked at him, I felt as if I could almost hear his worried voice in my head asking what happened. Shaking my head to see if it was the hypnotic stare, I broke my gaze but the voice, his voice, still continued to ask. I glanced back at him as his voice continued to chant in my head. It finally had gotten to the point where I replied to the voice saying that I had saw something that was going to happen and that this was a normal occurrence. Shane immediately started walking towards me, as if he actually heard what I had said. I quickly looked at my lunch, not wanting to watch him as he approached me. He sat down beside me and faced me.

“Nora, did you just see the future?” He asked impatiently.

“What the hell are you talking about?” I replied, looking up at him trying to show a face of confusion.

“Don’t lie to me, Nora. You know exactly what I’m talking about. You told me, yourself.” He said bluntly. Wait, what?

“What do you-?”

“What is going on? I saw Nora’s Isomom change and then I saw you go towards her. Is everything ok?”  Steph said, cutting me off in midsentence. I glared at Shane, still caught up on the fact that he said that I had told him. Could he have heard my thoughts? No, that isn’t possible. That is weird, even for us.

“Nora, Nora! Is it true? Did you see the future?” Brian asked as he suddenly appeared in front of me.

“Yes, yes I did. Now can you please calm down and I will explain everything to you. You guys are attracting attention.” I said sternly. The three of them looked around and realized that what I said was the truth. The tables around ours were looking in our direction.

“Ok, explain now please.” Shane asked.

“I’ve always had these little flash forwards. Normally they are just snapshots of the dream I’ve had the night before, but this time it was different. The images that I saw were from the dance. They were afterwards. Steph and Brian, you guys were fighting a manticore. Shane, me and you were running from Shades.” I finished. I didn’t want to share the detail that he was carrying me, figuring that it wasn’t that important for me to tell him. “Oh and now that I think about it, I haven’t told you the dream I’ve been having since Saturday night.”

“What? Is there anything else that you didn’t bother to tell us?” Steph said kinda mad that she wasn’t the first one to know. I recapped my dream that was always cut short, only showing the little snippet I got the first time I had it. After I told them the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over. I got up and threw my trash away, eager to get away from my pissed off friends. Can you blame me for not wanting to tell them?

“Nora.” I heard Shane call behind me. I turned around and faced him, the feeling of warmth and comfort encompassing me. Wow, I haven’t felt that in a long time. I looked into his stormy gray eyes, waiting for him to say what he wanted to say. I cleared my throat after a minute. “Yes, um, I’m going to walk you to class if that is ok with you.” I stared at him.

“Sure.” I replied hesitantly. We walked in silence before Shane cleared his throat.

“I’m looking forward to going to the formal with you. I don’t want you to think that I’m just doing this because. There is a reason behind it. I’m sorry, um, if I, um, if I come off as a huge jerk to you.” Shane said, his voice getting quieter as the sentence progressed. I stopped right there and stared at him. His gray eyes stared at me as he waited for me to respond. I didn’t know what to say. My head wasn’t clear. I wanted to make out with him but at the same time I wanted to slap him across the face.

“It’s ok.” I replied in a small voice. Quickly turning towards our class I walked fast, leaving him in the dust. How can I like a guy who so bipolar towards me?



© 2014 Sapphire Naylor


Author's Note

Sapphire Naylor
The very last sentence, any suggestions on how to rewrite it but say the same thing?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

We should talk soon my friend. Great job though

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sapphire Naylor

10 Years Ago

Though. That concerns me. We defiantly need to talk friend. :)
Kai Rollins

10 Years Ago

You've improved so very much :)
Sapphire Naylor

10 Years Ago

Thank you :) It truly means a lot :)
Been looking forward to this :) both character and plot are developing nicely :) with regards to the last line, I think its fine :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sapphire Naylor

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind reviews :) And for the last line I feel like I repeat myself a lot by saying .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 16, 2014
Last Updated on February 16, 2014
Tags: romantic, paranormal, paranormal romantic, love, paranormal book, book, chapter, fantasy, shadows


Author

Sapphire Naylor
Sapphire Naylor

TX



About
My name is Sapphire (and yes that is really my name) and I'm an INFP. I welcome any new writers and I have been through a lot and understand most peoples feelings. I love writing and anything to do wi.. more..

Writing
King King

A Poem by Sapphire Naylor