Chapter 1: A New Beginning

Chapter 1: A New Beginning

A Chapter by Kate Rivet

"Welcome to your new home," Uncle said, opening the door to his ranch home.
"Thanks," I said, walking in. I dropped my bags on the hard wood floor and took a look around. The house has a fairly modern look to it. There was an open living room with two couches and four chairs all facing a fire place with a big flat screen TV above it on the left. To the right of the front door was the kitchen. The kitchen had brown marble counters with an island in the middle. Straight in front of the entry way was a staircase that lead up the second level and a catwalk that went above  the living room. Behind the stairs was what looked like a mud room and laundry room.
        "Oh yeah, you won't be the only one living here," uncle said.
        "You finally found a girlfriend?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.
        "Haha, no. His name is Max and he's staying here while his parents are away on business."
        "What?! There's a boy staying here?" I shouted.
        "Relax, he's not a prejudiced person."
        "I don't care, he's still a guy!"
        "I said relax. Max is a good person."
        "Grr, I'll be in my room," I said groaning. I grabbed my bags and walked up the stairs.
        "Your room is the one across the catwalk," uncle called. I walked across the catwalk and opened the door to my room. The bedroom had a queen-sized bed with a pink comforter and two big pillows with green pillow cases and three little white pillows. To the left of the door was a dresser and a closet and to the right there was a bathroom.
"Like it?" Uncle asked, suddenly appearing in the doorway. I jumped and turned around.
"Knock," I said, going back to unpacking. Uncle knocked and I turned around and gave him an irritated look.
           "Hey remember, you promised that you would help on the ranch," Uncle reminded me.
"I know, I know. Hey, what are we having for dinner?" I asked.
"Don't know yet. I was thinking take out," he said, shrugging.
"Do you order take-out all the time?" I asked.
"Of course, I mean I can't cook," uncle said scratching his head.
"That's what cooking classes are for," I said.
"Well, uh, last time I tried hitting on the teacher and she kicked me out of the class," uncle said. I face-palmed.
"Sometimes I can't believe I'm related to you," I said shaking my head.
"But you are," uncle said laughing.
"How about I make dinner," I suggested.
"That sounds good," uncle said.
"What food do you have in the fridge?" I asked.
"Leftovers."
"No actual food?"
"Nope."
"I'm surprised your not fat."
"Hey now, I don't eat that much," uncle said patting his belly.
"Sure," I said rolling my eyes and then adding, "I guess I'll run to the store."
"I'll go with you," uncle said following go me as I headed toward the stairs.
"Uncle," I said stopping and turning to him. "Two reasons why you shouldn't, one," I held up one finger, "you'll flirt with anything that remotely looks like a woman, and two," I held up another finger, "you don't know the first thing when it comes to grocery shopping."
"Fine. I'll send Max with you."
"I'll go by myself thank you very much," I said whirling around and taking off down the stairs.
"Keys are in the bowl and here is some money," uncle called down and he tossed me a roll of cash tied to get with a rubber band. I unrolled it and counted it. Uncle gave me one hundred dollars.
"Cheapskate," I called up to him as I spotted the keys and grabbed them. I put my sunglasses on and got into the truck. Starting the engine, I came to  a realization that I had no clue where the nearest grocery store was. Suddenly someone knocked on the passenger door window. I jumped a little and got out.
"You must be Keina," The person said when I came around the front of the truck.
"That's right,"  I said looking at him. The boy had light brown hair that was combed back and brown eyes and he stood about five inches taller than me.
"I'm Max," the boy said sticking out his hand. I shook it and he said, "I've heard a lot about you."
"I hope it was good," I said. I can't imagine what uncle has said about me.
"It was. So your new around here right?"
"New as could be."
"So little miss new-to-the-area, where were you planning on going?"
"Well I was going to go grocery shopping but I forgot where the stores are."
Max laughed and said, "how about I go with you."
"Do you know anything about grocery shopping?" I asked crossing my arms and leaning against the truck.
"No but at least I won't flirt with anything with b***s," Max said shrugging.
"True."
"I'll go tell Cliff," Max said taking off. While he was in there, I got into the truck.  After a couple of seconds, Max came back.
"Well, Cliff said it was okay but-"
"He saw it coming didn't he?" I asked.
"Yep."
"And he was ready for you to come in wasn't he?" I asked putting the car in gear and backing up.
"Oh yeah. Boss was standing right in front of the door and said, 'Keina forgot where the stores are didn't she' I just nodded and he told me to get going," Max said laughing.
"Remind me to smack him when we get back," I said gripping the steering  wheel.
"Will do, anyway, where did you move here from?"
"New Jersey."
"Geez that must have been a long trip."
"Well worth it."
We got to the store and I went in to buy food while Max went to a store across the street. Once I got done, I loaded all the groceries in the back seat of the truck and then I walked across the street to find Max. I was about to open the door when I heard voices in the alley.
"So where's the dough?" I heard a tough voice ask. I turned the corner and saw a big blonde beefy boy cornering another boy. He drew back his fist and punched him in the stomach making the boy gasp for air.
"Well this is a great first impression," I said leaning against the wall.
"Who the heck are you?" the blonde asked.
"Just a passing civilian who was annoyed by all the noise," I said walking towards him.
"This is none of your business!" The boy shouted dropping the other boy on the ground and walking towards me.
"Then don't be so gosh darn loud," I shot back.
"Maybe I should teach you a lesson like I did with him," he growled pointing to the boy sitting on the ground gasping for air.
"Let's see you try," I said smirking.
"You got it," the boy said throwing a punch. I ducked the attack and heard his fist make contact with the brick wall behind me.
"Son of a-"
"Leo, where are you? I'm ready to leave!" I woman's voice shouted.
"Coming mom!" the boy, Leo, shouted back. He turned to me and growled, "this ain't over," then he took off.
I ran over to the boy who's was still sitting on the ground and asked, "are you okay?"
"Yeah," he mumbled pulling himself up.
"Why was he after you?" I asked.
"None of your business," he said pushing past me.
"Sheesh," I muttered.
"I see you met Leo," I heard a voice behind me. I turned around and saw Max.
"You mean the dude that was all bark and no bite?" I asked walking up to him.
"Yeah, normally he's all bark and bite," Max said.
"So who was that other guy?" I asked as we walked towards the truck.
"Oh him, his name is Jessie, I don't know a whole lot about him because he never talks," Max said as we got into the truck.
"That's too bad," I said starting the engine. So we headed back and I started working on dinner.
About half an hour later, Uncle and Max came in. "Hey is dinner ready?" Uncle asked taking off his gloves.
"Yep, perfect timing,? I said as I pulled the chicken pot pies out of the oven.
"Smells so good!" Max said plopping down in a chair. He was about to start scooping some fruit salad onto his plate when I grabbed a metal spatula and smacked his hand before he could even touch the spoon.
"Wash your hands first. Lord knows what you've touched on that farm," I said whirling around and got the chicken pot pies off of the pan.
"Get your mind out of the gutter," Max said getting up and going to the sink to wash his hands.
"It wasn't meant to be dirty," I mumbled putting a chicken pot pie on Uncle's plate and then one on Max's plate.
"Alright, let's dig in," Uncle said sitting down.
"You too," I said sternly.
"Okay mom," Uncle said getting up to wash his hands.
"Hey Keina, why are you still wearing sunglasses?" Max asked sitting back down.
"Because the light coming in through window hurts my eyes," I responded.
"It's not that bad," Max said looking at the window.
"Keina," Uncle said sternly. I turned around and came face to face with him. Before he could reach up and take my sunglasses, I ducked under his arm and moved out of the way.
"Is it really the sun or do you have a black eye or something?" Max asked as Uncle lunged at me.
"Not exactly," I said ducking Uncle's hand.
"Keina you know I have a rule about wearing sunglasses in the house," Uncle said chasing me around the table.
"No you don't," I said stopping and Uncle tripped over Chase's chair.
"I do now," Uncle said popping up and resuming the chase.
"That's not fair!" I shouted backing up and falling over the couch. Uncle leaped on top of me and took my sunglasses.
"Ha! Got 'em!" Uncle shouted waving them in the air.
"What's wrong with your eyes?" Max asked getting up from his seat. I grabbed a pillow and put it over my face.
"Keina, this is ridiculous. You're acting like a child," Uncle said trying to pry the pillow off of my face.
"Nothing," I said answering Max.
"Keina Marie Johnsan I order you to remove that pillow from your face!" Uncle said letting go of the pillow.
"Not my middle name," I said removing the pillow from my face.
"Really? I could of sworn it was Marie," Uncle said scratching his head.
"It's Lynn," I corrected him.
"Huh, Keina Lynn Johnsan, that sounds right," Uncle said.
"That's because it is," I said irritated.
"Keina," Max said in a gentle voice reminding me that he was standing right in front of me and that I had uncovered my face. Before I could panic, however, the phone rang.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Oh Keina, sweetheart! I heard about you moving to Clifford's ranch I wanted to come and visit!" a loud unmistakable voice shouted into the phone. It was so loud, I didn't even need to hit speaker, Uncle and Max we're able to hear her just fine. The person was my Aunt Molly, Uncle's older sister. Auntie will annoy everyone with her doting nature and she will smother anyone with affection.
"Is that Molly?" Uncle hissed at me.
"Oh Clifford! Are you doing good? Have you been treating Keina well?" Auntie shouted again.
"Fine, just fine," Uncle said regretting he ever said anything.
"I need to come visit!" Auntie said with excitement.
"No you don't," Uncle said quickly.
"Don't be silly! After what happened with Keina's father, it's only right for me to check up on her!" Auntie said with a worried tone.
"No it's fine really! I am just fine!" I said.
"Nonsense! Look out the window!" Auntie said and then hung up. I put the phone back into it's cradle and looked out the window along side with Uncle.
"Un freaking believable," I said gaping. Right outside the window was Auntie's limo. Auntie is a fashion designer and is constantly traveling. We though she was in France but apparently we were wrong.
"Keina, is it too late to go into lock down?" Uncle asked giving me a nervous look.
Knock. Knock. Knock. "Does that answer the question?" I asked after we heard the knocks.
"She could've called first," Uncle said walking towards the door.
"She already did," I said sourly. He opened the door and Auntie came exploding into the room.
"Oh my sweet Keina dear!" she said as soon as she spotted me on the couch. Auntie ran towards me and hugged. I would of hugged her back except she was hugging me so tightly, I couldn't move my arms.
"Hello Auntie," I said as she continued to crush me.
"So Molly, how have you been?" Uncle asked.
"Oh I have been great, worried about Keina, but good," Auntie said letting ago of me and suddenly turning serious.
"You paid him a visit didn't you?" I asked hoping she had't.
"As a matter of fact I did," Auntie said.
"This better be good," Uncle said sitting down in one of the chairs.
Auntie sighed and said, "your father asked me how I was and of course I asked him about you. He said, 'oh her, why should I care?''"
"Sounds like him," I said. Unfortunately, I am far to use to hearing those words. Dad never cared for me. One time I tried asking him something and he said, "what right do you have talking to me?" He just laughed and laughed. To him this was all just a game.
"However," Auntie said breaking me away from my thoughts, "your mother surprised me."
"Surprised?" I asked. Mom never really joined in on things my dad did but she would ignore me.
"Yes surprised. After your father slammed the door in my face, your mother came home and chatted to her in the driveway. She wondered about you and I said I was going to come visit. She actually sounded worried," Auntie said.
"Well there's a shocker. I didn't think that woman had any emotion in her," I said bitterly.
"She said she had always felt bad for you and wished she could've helped," Auntie continued.
"Now your just making stuff up," I said standing.
"I'm not actually. Your mom recorded a message and told me to give it you," Auntie said digging around in her purse.
"Tsk, you can just get rid of it Auntie. She's just trying to stay on my good side," I said.
"But Keina, don't you want to at least hear what she has to say?" Auntie asked.
"Not really. I moved so I could get away from both of them. Mom never did anything bad I'll give her that but she never helped me. She just stood and watched emotionless while dad hit me and treated me like an outcast," I said walking towards the door. "I'm happy to see Auntie but if all we're going to talk about is my parents, then I'm outta here.
"Where are you going?" Auntie asked.
"Oh yeah, Uncle doesn't know how to cook," I said dodging the question.
"Clifford Johnsan, you can't cook?!" Auntie exploded. That should keep her busy for about..... six hours. While she tackled Uncle, I grabbed my sunglasses from the table and walked out the door. I heard footsteps behind me and turned around to find Max following me.
"I'll show you around the ranch," Max said walking ahead of me. I could sense that he had a lot of questions he wanted to ask me.


© 2016 Kate Rivet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on November 20, 2016
Last Updated on November 20, 2016


Author

Kate Rivet
Kate Rivet

Jasper, IN



About
Just a high school student who loves to write more..

Writing
Bad Grades Bad Grades

A Story by Kate Rivet