Chapter 2: Midnight Ride

Chapter 2: Midnight Ride

A Chapter by Kate Rivet

         Later that night, I got out my clothes for the next day and got ready for bed. Auntie winded up spending the night and had made sure I brushed my teeth. Max had spent the rest of the evening giving me a tour of the ranch. Luckily for me, he acted like he hadn't heard anything.
I sighed and looked out the window. It was a full moon tonight. The moonlight shone so bright it was almost as bright as it was during the day. It illuminated the red metal roof on the barn and the cows who grazed at night. It was one of those nights.
       After getting my pjs on, I reached over and set my first alarm for eleven fifty and the second for five in the morning I slipped under the covers and went to sleep.
       Around ten till midnight, my first alarm went off waking me from a light sleep. The moon was still bright so I didn't even need to turn on a  lamp. I got up and pulled out a grey plaid shirt and pulled on some jeans. As I was hopping around my room, I noticed a pond that reflected the night sky. That's where I'm going to go.
        I carried my boots downstairs, so I wasn't loud walking on the hard wood floor, and snuck out the back door. My first stop was the barn so I could get a horse. During the day, Max showed me how to put a saddle and bridle on the horse. I slipped in the side door leading into the tack room and got a saddle. I found a horse that I got attached to earlier and saddled her up. Her name was Luna. Heh, perfect name. Anyway, I got her bridle on and lead her out through the tack room door. Lucky for me, she just barely slipped through. I mounted her and took off towards the pond. The moon was very bright, so Luna could see the way but I brought a flashlight just in case the clouds decided it was too bright. I had noticed on my way out that another horse's stall was opened and the horse was gone.
The ride there was wonderful. There was a slight breeze that blew through my hair. It was the perfect temperature out making it a perfect night. I love the night. It gave me a chance to escape from reality and I could just be me without anyone around to give me any crap. Nights like these are probably how I stayed sane in New Jersey. 
         After about a five minute ride, I got to the pond. I stood by the edge and looked at the starry sky reflecting off the surface. Kneeling down, I stuck my hand in the water right where the moon was reflecting. I looked at Luna, who was drinking from the pond, and sat back and looked up at the sky.
Suddenly, I heard a horse snort. It sounded to far off to be Luna's but it was close. I got back into the saddle and spotted a lone tree on the other side of the pond. Under the tree was the big black figure of a horse. I clicked my tongue and we headed to the other side.
        As we got closer, I saw a second figure sitting at the tree's base with a long stick. The figure suddenly jumped up and started pulling at the stick. Then I realized, they must be fishing. I rode Luna up to the tree and tied her off on it.
"Come on come on," the figure mumbled. As I got closer I realized that the figure was Max.
"Are they biting?" I asked startling him. He finally reeled in the line but all he got was a bare hook.
"They were," Max said looking at the hook, then he realized who I was and asked, "when did you get here Keina?!"
"Just now," I said shrugging.
"No sunglasses?" He asked.
"Oh I got a pair for at night. Night vision equipped," I said proudly.
"Sheesh," Max said standing up.
"So why are you out here at this time of night?" I asked.
"I could ask you the same thing," Max said.
"Well if you must know, I always do this on nights like these," I said looking at the moon.
"Pretty cool isn't?" Max asked looking at the reflection.
"Yep, I touched the moon," I said grabbing a rock and skipping it.
"Same here," Max said skipping rock too.
"Mine went further," I teased. Max just smiled and said, "whatever."
"You never said why you come out here," I said.
"I come out here because I like to see the moon," Max said.
"Good answer," I said as we both looked back up to the sky.







© 2016 Kate Rivet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on November 20, 2016
Last Updated on November 20, 2016


Author

Kate Rivet
Kate Rivet

Jasper, IN



About
Just a high school student who loves to write more..

Writing
Bad Grades Bad Grades

A Story by Kate Rivet





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5