April 793

April 793

A Chapter by Kitalia Emme

April 9th
It seems that Father is having a dinner tomorrow. The man is a friend of his from the academy, and a business associate who owns a factory in Ganderu. This means they will stay the night and leave in the morning. And apparently they have a son near my own age. We shall see how this goes.



April 11th
Well they have left just after lunch, and I will say that it was interesting. The dinner was with the Barrett Family, and I must say they are a rather entertaining bunch. Mother actually managed to join us for the dinner, and she and Mrs Barrett got on very nicely. They had met when Mother and Father first married. As Mr Barrett and Mrs Barrett were engaged at the time. Mother, it seems, was a rather enteresting young lady, and I delighted in hearing about the many adventures she had before Benjamin was born. Mrs Barrett said that mother had not wanted to marry, but instead be a doctor and move to one of the colonies! Apparently as soon as the wedding was over mother left for the medical school!
Father humored her, as it seems he was not interested in the marriage either, but was obsessed with some game that he and Mr Barrett used to play, so for two years after their marriage my parents never even saw each other.
Then when my grandfather took ill they stepped up to the challenge and moved from Ganderu back here, and only then did they act like they were married.

Mr Barrett was filled with stories about my fathers time in the academy, and how they used to slip out and go to the pubs to pick fights.
The same academy that Benjamin attended. And what is more Mrs Barrett attended the same finishing school as Lydia is now! Oh my dear dear friend, how I long to see the Imperial city. I want to see Ettritdge as well. It's the town where mother was born. Her father was a professor of medicine in Ettritge and a leading expert in his field. He came to Ganderu to open his own hospital and school of medicine.
While I knew this about my family I had never given it much thought, and I certainly had never been told that mother had studied at the Ganderu Medical Academy.

Her elder brother had inherited the school though, and sold it, so unfortunately in is no longer within our family. Shame, I would have liked to own a school.

Their son was quite entertaining as well, and rather charming, though I hesitate to admit it. His name is Daniel, and he is a year and a half older than I. And he is quite hansom! He tall and thin, easily a head taller then I, and his hair is clean cut and well groomed. He isn't wild and muscular like Ferron, quite the opposite really. His light brown hair has not a single strand out of place, and he has a pale and thoughtful face. And he wears glasses. 
When the conversation shifted from our parents youth to the gossip about the other members of society, financials, and the latest news of the Imperial family we excused ourselves from the room. 
As the door closed behind us he let out a sigh of relief and loosened his tie. He asked what it was that I enjoyed, as the adults seemed to delight in the dull and boring. 
We talked about riding, and art, how I love to go to the shore with the intent to draw, but always end up detracted by everything else.
He loves books and the country. He said he hates crowds, he hates working with others, and really he is not a fan of people at all. He would rather sit in a country home and read.
Of course that opened the door to conversation and we sat in the dining room and talked about books until the adults finally wandered out of the parlor slightly tipsy and desperate for their beds. He rolled his eyes as his mother suggested that we made a "fantastically photographic couple" and patted our cheeks. 

My friend, seeing as that is what it reduces a person to, I shall never drink.

They departed after breakfast this morning, Daniel thanking me for the delightful company, and promising to write soon.
My friend, he really is as charming as Ferron. Now I am so confused! I hope Ferron will return soon so, I fear it's just his absence that makes me wonder what it is I feel for him.



April 16th
He has returned! Ferron has returned. Rosalie came with a letter this morning, a single paper, no envelope. It simply read "And again I have been lead home. F.R."

Rosalie returned from her family yesterday evening, and spent the night getting settled into her new room, as we have given her a space adjacent to mine. This morning when she knocked to wake me she had the note, she said that he caught her as she was headed through town and asked if she could deliver it to me. She said that he looked like he had only just come off the ship, as he seemed exhausted.

I also received a letter from Daniel, he is studying architecture and engineering. He wants to design a new harbor system in Ganderu. He says that if they could harbor more ships then trade from the island would be easier. He is also researching the system they have on the mainland, he says that the major cities are all connected by a rail system, and that he thinks a similar system, but on a smaller scale, could connect the cities on our island and create a better profit margin by lowering our costs. He really is smart, and he seems so gentle.

I am planning to go to town tomorrow and see Ferron. Perhaps I can figure out my head then.



April 17th
Rosalie and I had planned to leave as soon as we had finished lunch, and Alder had Stern and Mond saddled and ready. However, When it came time to mount Rosalie took a step back. She insisted she was much better walking. I looked down at her, not sure what she could mean. I understand that she is used to walking, but even as accustomed as she is it would still take far to long.
Alder took her hand and pulled her into a tight hug, whispering something into her ear. It was soft enough that I couldn't make it out (assuming I could have understood him) but it made her jump back and yell. He burst into a near hysterical laughter and came up beside me.
"Aye, Miss, seems the little lady don't no nothing about riding. She'd be losing her wits if we stick her in the saddle. I says we do it. It's in the best for her, you know."
I agreed, having no idea what he meant.
She shot me a look that was quite displeased as Alder picked her up and firmly set her in the saddle. She looked like she was going to cry! I road up beside her, studying her carefully. She was terrified. Finally I looked over at Alder, who had not taken his hands of her waist yet and asked if she could ride behind me. Maybe if she got used to the feeling then she wouldn't be scared. To be honest I was in a hurry and didn't feel like teaching her to ride.
Alder asked if if that was okay and she agreed to try it, so long as we stayed close until she was comfortable.

As you can imagine, we were stuck riding in circles until dinner.

Thankfully after dinner Alder had the carriage ready and offered to drive us to town so that I could take care of my business.

It was just after sundown when we arrived at the Caged Crow, and the evening festivities were in full swing. Alder seemed thrilled by the noise and commotion, and Rosalie didn't even take notice, as the three of us made our way in. Quin waved at me and shooed a couple of men away from the counter, offering up seats for Rosalie and I.
I scanned the room, hoping to catch a glance of Ferron, but he was nowhere to be seen. Reluctantly I accepted Quin's offer, still looking for Ferron. I recognized many of the faces, having seen them coming and going when I had visited before, but none that I actually knew. That was until Adrien stood atop a table and began to sing.
The room burst into a rhythmic pounding and shouting as Damien stepped up onto the table and handing off his pipe. Moments later he was accompanying Adrien with a fiddle. Alder couldn't take the excitement any longer and grabbed Rosalie, spinning her around the room. She squealed in delight as he twirled her around and around in time to the music.
The joy was contagious. It simply was not possible to be in the room and not find yourself tapping your toes in time to the music. Eleana stepped up on the counter behind me, I had not even seen her in the room, and pulled a fife from her pocket joining in.

I stood, looking for Ferron. Surly he was somewhere in the room, but my heart was sinking as still, I did not see him.
Another sailor stepped up, joining in the performance, this instrument was new to my ears, and most fascinating. I was captivated by it, the strange harmonic sound it was belting out with each graceful movement as he squeezed it like a bellows.

"It's a squeezebox, My Lady, a concertina if you are planning on looking it up. Now you can stand there and ogle the night away, or you can extend the pleasure of a dance."

I spun to find Ferron at my elbow, grinning as he held out his hand in an invitation. I nodded, slightly uncertianly, Dancing was never my strong suit. He grinned bigger and leaned in close, his breath sending chills down my spine as he whispered in my ear, telling me that I had nothing to worry about. "Trust me." Two little words, how could they be so powerful?
How can two simple words do so much to a persons heart? To calm nerves, to relax the mind. Trust me he asked, and trust him I did as he put his arm around my waist and spun me around.

My dear friend, perhaps I do enjoy Daniels company, but it is nothing compared to the shear bliss and complete calm that I feel around Ferron.



April 28th
My dear friend, I am so sorry that I have not been so vigilant in my writing. I have been kept so busy! Daniel is visiting on the days that he is off from his studies, and Alder, Rosalie, and I have been joining Ferron and the others at the Caged Crow in the evenings when we are able to slip away.

Did you know that Ghost plays the whistle beautifully? Though it is always when the party begins to die down, and it is a soft and haunting sound that chases away the shadows and beckons sleep.

Ferron and Alder get on delightfully well, and I am beginning to suspect that Ferron is from the same country as Alder, as they have sang together a few times now, and seem to know a different set of songs from the others.

When Adrien begins singing of the ladies he would have (and the ways in which he would have them) we take our leave, Ferron always walking us to the carriage, though many a time he is hardly coherent by this point. Alder has taken a good few drinks in the recent nights, letting Rosalie guide us home.

And Rosalie has finally told me that she should prefer that I call her by her "pet" name. She said that the people she considers closest call her by her native name, Jayoo. She said it means Wild Bird.

Mother has become stronger with each day, I am sure the doctor was wrong, she is going to be fine.
I am going to rest now, as Daniel will be arriving tomorrow morning.



April 30th
Daniel is acting rather oddly. I can't imagine what he is planning, but I have a feeling it is not going to be pleasant. I have yet to tell him about Ferron, nor have I told Ferron of Daniel. It's not that I am keeping it from them... Well, I fear that Daniel would tell father. But I should tell Ferron of Daniel. I mean to tell him, but when we get to the Crow I am swept into the festivity and I forget. I actually went again tonight, but I wanted to be sure I wrote this while it was still fresh in my mind.
I asked Ferron today how he saw me. At first he made a joke about how he saw me as a goddess of beauty and light, but when I didn't laugh he got quite serious. He lead me to a corner of the room where we could talk and asked me why I was so concern. He promised me that he would never do anything to break my heart, that he would never 'use' me. that I meant much more to him then that. So I asked him what it was that I meant.
He looked uncomfortable as he said he didn't know the answer. Then he said that if there was a man that could make me happy I should go to him. That I would be better off if I did.
Again I asked him how he saw me, and you know what he did? He kissed the top of my head and said that he needed a drink, and that it was best if I rested for a while.

Why is he refusing to answer me? My friend I don't know what to make of this. So I did something I stood and grabbed his arm. I told him that I needed to know if he loved me, that I was going to leave my father and all the suitors in the world, I just needed to hear him say the words.

He looked as if I had broken his heart. He said that if I had suitors they would be far better then he ever could be, and he vanished into the chaos.


© 2014 Kitalia Emme


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice work Kitalia, now we have a love triangle coming on but Ferron seems maybe to be hiding something while of course Daniel is eminently suitable, your cooking this plot up well, soon i suspect though it may boil over, can't wait! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


R Smith

9 Years Ago

thank you for that compliment, hope you will always enjoy my writing, keeping up with this is easy, .. read more
Kitalia Emme

9 Years Ago

Thank you so, you flatter me!
And I understand what you mean. I hate to rush through my reads... read more
R Smith

9 Years Ago

That's very true, I like to read and re-read poems to get a feel for what i say, of course a long re.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 29, 2014
Last Updated on November 18, 2014


Author

Kitalia Emme
Kitalia Emme

TX



About
***Sorry for my absence. I lost a husband, fought addiction, and came out stronger that ever. I have been sober for 10 months. I am pulling my life together and healing from my loss (No, I wasn't wi.. more..

Writing