Chapter 2- Part 2 Shopping the Frank Way

Chapter 2- Part 2 Shopping the Frank Way

A Chapter by Jules
"

Frank takes Juliana shopping his way. i love it!

"

~

Juliana settled down on the edge of her bed and laced up her soft leather ankle boots tightly, before pulling on her jacket and pinning her simple hat on securely. Frank was waiting at the bottom of the stairs his jacket on and his top hat in hand, as she climbed down the stairs to met him. She felt unsure of why she was letting him take her on this extravagant shopping trip, but looking down at Frank’s expectant face his eyes surprisingly bright and glowing she couldn’t refuse him. He was not as gloomy as he was earlier at the visit of the undertaker; rather he seemed to be looking forward greatly to the trip. Frank held out an arm and she accepted, letting him led her to the carriage and hand her up inside. They sat in the dim carriage in silence, until she broke the silence to ask where they were going. He grinned and shook his head in reply.

“It wouldn’t be a surprise if I told, but I can guarantee none of your local shops are like this one, in fact none of the other shops in London are like it. However, here is a clue; these shops are abundant in Paris, very classy, very expensive but don’t let that put you off they’re worth every penny. Here we are.”

The carriage pulled to a juddering halt outside a large premise painted an outrageous purple and no name. A footman open the door and Frank leapt out helping Juliana down after him and holding open the shop door for her. Intrigued Juliana went into the shop wide eyed, drinking in the fabulous dresses on wire tailors dummies and padded hangers. A red velvet curtain swished open and a tiny woman with a big voice greeted Frank with open arms.

“Mousier Carlyle, how lovely to see you again. Who is this ravishing young lady? She is certainly not your young wife. What do we need from Madame Laqué?”

“I’m sad to tell you Rebecca has died,” Frank replied his eyes clouding over. “This is my charge Miss Juliana Lucas,” he almost spat the word out like he hated it making Juliana jump; “agreeably she said she would accompany me to a parliamentary ball, unfortunately she has nothing to wear. Would you and your ladies be kind enough to show us some of your ball gowns also a range of day, evening and outdoor wear and every thing that goes with it?” His expression lightened at the appalled look on Juliana’s face at his extravagant shopping technique. He was basically suggesting a whole new wardrobe for her, which she thought she simply didn’t need.

“Take a seat and I’ll start sending the girls out for you.” Juliana didn’t really understand what Madame Laqué was talking about but it seemed like they would have an interesting afternoon. The red velvet curtain was pulled aside by a pale hand and a beautiful young girl came out dressed in a bright blue dress decorated in jet beads and black lace, she walked towards them slowly before turning in front of them her skirts swishing. Frank nodded his approval before Juliana could even speak a word of agreement and the model stood to one side of them. The next came out dressed in a simple cream lace and primrose yellow silk, which Juliana rather liked but before she could speak up Frank dismissed.

“To pale for her,” he told Madame Laqué as if she wasn’t there and the model disappeared again. They continued in this manner until a large number of dresses had been chosen for Juliana without a word of opinion from her. Yet another girl appeared from behind the curtain, this time dressed in layers of green shot silk, the underskirt a soft leaf green and draped elegantly with a luxurious forest green and beaded subtly with tiny glass beads. Frank didn’t say anything and Juliana stared at him surprised he didn’t have an opinion. He stared at the model, her face morphing into Juliana’s with her auburn curls framing her face softly and the curves of her body hugged by the perfect dress. For once he was rendered speechless and all the blood from his head rushed to his crotch and it wasn’t even Juliana stood there.

“Frank?” Juliana asked placing a hand on his arm, sending tremors through his body.

“Yes,” he forced out, his mouth barely moving. Juliana looked at him sceptically but nodded to Madame Laqué anyway. Where would she ever wear it; except maybe the parliamentary ball although it was a bit low cut for her taste. A few more dresses came out which Juliana chose from as Frank seemed to have lost interest or been rendered speechless, the later seemed more likely for some reason and she hoped Madame Laqué didn’t take offence.

“That is it” announced Madame Laqué with a flourish. “I see you have chosen well, now mademoiselle lets take your measurements and then we will go chose the under things and the accessories.”

“I think I will stay here if you don’t mind and can you send me out some coffee, strong and black.” Madame Laqué nodded and led Juliana through the curtains and to a small raised platform. “Girls help Mademoiselle Lucas out of her dress.” She then went to a counter and picked up a tape measure, before swiftly taking Juliana’s measurements and turning to a chest of drawers. Pulling out a variety of petticoats and corsets she handed them to a waiting girl as Juliana watched on, amazed by the intricacy of the under garments made from silk and lace and embroidered with silver or gold thread.

“I don’t need anything so lavish for my under garments, no one will see them and it’s an extra expense I don’t need.” Madame Laqué laughed and gave her a knowing look which shut Juliana up, before they passed on to hair feathers, beads, ribbons, gloves, slippers, bags, fans and yet more accessories.

“Some of the dresses I showed you can be altered and delivered in two days; the rest will be delivered as they are finished. You may have to come in for some fittings next week however. All the other pieces will be delivered tomorrow, for example the bags and accessories. ”

“That sounds fine, but the last green dress you showed us we must have for three days time, Friday because we have a ball to go to, thank you Madame Laqué today has been an experience.”

“A pleasure mademoiselle,” she replied leading the way back through to the room where Frank sat in his chair, a strained look on his face, “I believe mademoiselle that your companion is bored,” she murmured to Juliana before addressing the Earl. “Thank you for bringing much appreciated custom to my humble shop Lord Carlyle, I hope to see you again soon.”

“Good day Madame Laqué,” he replied stiffly, leaving the room hurriedly to climb into the awaiting carriage. Juliana gave an apologetic nod to Madame Laqué before slowly following Frank out to the carriage and attempting to climb in unassisted. It had rained while they had been inside and as she hoisted herself up, holding on to the swaying door she slipped on the wooden step and went flying head first into the carriage. Frank lurched out of his daze and scooped her up before she hit the floor, pulling her in with an arm tightly around her waist. She sat down blushing intensely and gazed down at her hands resting in her lap. Frank watched her silently, giving a sharp rap on the roof of the carriage to tell the driver he could move off, enchanted by the soft rose colour she blushed exactly the same as he remembered.

“I’m an idiot, did you know that Juliana?” he stared at her pointedly and she blushed more.

“I don’t understand Frank.” And he looked out the window disappointedly before shrugging and replying.

“Never mind.” They drove the rest of the way home in silence, Juliana trying to work out why he felt he was an idiot but still not sure what he meant. He had made mistakes but he wasn’t an idiot just a normal human being.

~

As the gong went for dinner Juliana sat down promptly and waited for Frank to arrive, sipping her wine thoughtfully. Had she made the right decisions coming here and staying here after her disastrous first night, perhaps she should leave and let Frank sort his own life out. But then again she had already agreed to stay for the parliamentary ball and she doubted, to be honest, weather or not Frank could sort his life out alone so she’d have to do it for him she’d done it for herself perfectly well. Finally Frank appeared and sat down without a word of apology for being late. The starter came and went in silence before Juliana got bored of not speaking even if it was tense and awkward and tried to start conversation.

“Which was your favourite dress, the one I should wear to the ball? I liked the peacock blue one, the first one with black lace and jet beads.”

“Perhaps, I preferred the forest green silk though and that is the one you shall wear.” Frank’s voice had a hard edge she daren’t argue with and Juliana had known that he would chose that one any way, although she wasn’t sure why; it made the conversation rather pointless really.

“Why that one, out of all that choice?” Frank pondered his answer carefully, he wasn’t that stupid he couldn’t tell her that it was because it made him want to throw her down on his bed and ravish her while her green eyes blazed with passion and her cheeks were flushed the perfect pink, that would shock her speechless.

“Because it matches your eyes.” And he left it at that, taking a drink of wine while staring at Juliana to see her reaction. That simple reply shocked her almost as much, in her surprise that he even knew what colour her eyes were. The conversation petered out again, with Juliana not sure what to say and Frank comfortable saying nothing.

“Let’s go sit in my study it’s the most comfortable room,” he declared when they had finished eating and led her down the corridor to a room they seemed to spend a lot of time in; although always at night. It was well lit now and Juliana got her first good look at the room; it was compact but didn’t feel small, one wall lined with leather bound volumes, a writing desk covered in papers by the window and around the blazing fire place were two leather armchairs and broad velvet covered settee. The armchairs didn’t seem at all comfortable so she sat on the settee that held disturbing memories reluctantly; thankfully he sat in an armchair to the side of her and leaned back with his eyes closed. Juliana watched him, he must be tired she thought, it had been a long day and she too felt as drained as he looked.

Frank wasn’t so much drained as unsure of how to deal with the emotions he had. He lusted after Juliana like no other woman he had ever met, yet he fought against it something he had never done before because he knew it would hurt her, the first time always did and he would never hurt her. It made him fret though when he recalled some of his last words with his father,

“You will meet her soon enough and then you will understand what I felt for your mother.” Frank had thought his father was losing his mind, he couldn’t predict love but now it seemed he had known what he was talking, maybe it was more than lust after all. He was happy to spend all his time with her, to talk to her, to protect her and to love her. Frank’s eyes widened at this realisation and his mouth dropped open, he straightened in his chair and tried to compose himself again. Juliana could not know of this he was not right for her, he had done little good in his life and he was not going to trouble her with his misfortunes. But there were always dreams he decided smiling thoughtfully to himself.

Juliana watched him still as she sat there, watched as the hard sculptured muscles of his face flickered with emotions. He seemed confused, she thought and she almost fell of her chair in surprise when his eyes opened wide and his mouth dropped. Composing herself, she sat back on her seat again firmly and when she looked back to Frank again he too had settled back, his face relaxing into a soft smile that made her want to smile too. A feeling of contentment settled over her and feeling sleepy she settled back and closed her eyes for a moment as her head began to nod.

Bored of sitting and of the silence Frank stood, stretching and gazing fondly at Juliana’s sleeping form, he battled the urge to pick her up and hold her in the safety of his arms. That’s all it would start with but he couldn’t be sure it would only stay at that once he held her close to him. She murmured softly in her sleep and slipped into laying position on the sofa. It looked uncomfortable he decided and risked the consequences by bending over to brush a rogue lock of hair from her face, before sweeping her gently up into his arms. She rolled instinctively in to his chest and he carried her carefully up to her room. It had only been a few days since her arrive and a lot had happened to her she must be exhausted.



© 2009 Jules


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha, great chapter! i loved the part when shes like, 'the armchairs didnt look comfortable' after he had said that it was the most comfortable room. i was like xD. anyway, keep it up!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i love it! cant wait to read the other chapter!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prolougue Prolougue

A Chapter by Jules