Chapter 3- Part 2 New Friends and Daring Pursuits

Chapter 3- Part 2 New Friends and Daring Pursuits

A Chapter by Jules
"

when out riding we meets a new person Franks friends Cameron- i'm writing a story about him too.

"

~

The ride to the park was uneventful. Triumph and Orion were well matched and Frank and Juliana made a handsome couple in their unintentionally matching riding gear. Frank was as usual dressed in the colours of his household that suited him so well- black and a bright royal blue with silver details and Juliana’s riding habit was a dark midnight blue. People stared at them with mixed emotions. Many women stared at Juliana enviously thinking she was Frank’s mistress, not knowing of their relationship as guardian and charge and few of the death of Frank’s wife. Many men were surprised know Frank from parliament or various clubs and knowing that he was married and his wife had just died but also that he had never once had a mistress when he was married; however unfulfilling his marriage was, so they were unsure where this beautiful young woman had come from so quickly especially one no-one in society knew.

“I think people are curious about you my dear,” Frank whispered to Juliana. She blushed at this use of an endearment but said nothing in reply. “Well anyone worth knowing or who deserves to know about you, you will meet properly at the ball tomorrow night. That reminds me we should properly return to Madame Laqué this afternoon for your dress fittings for the ball.”

“Is this it?” Juliana asked him as they slowed to a stop at some large ornate gates that lead to a large garden with wide paths full of a gentle stream of people on both foot and horseback. “This is the park but it’s beautiful, it’s more like a garden. I have never ridden any where like this, only through woods and fields and country estates, not the same at all. And look at all the lovely people in their fancy dresses.” Frank smiled at her obvious excitement at this new setting.

“You’ll get used to it soon enough and then you’ll be longing for the country once again.”

“Well country or not I would like to start riding properly now please.” She smiled enticingly at him and trotted into the park leaving a bemused Frank behind. They trotted side by side along the wide tree lined paths. Juliana’s confidence had slowly evaporated as Frank greeted person after person that they rode past. How he remembered all these people’s names and titles was beyond her. Eventually they stopped their ride at the edge of a neatly cut grass race track, with smart white rails circling it. It wasn’t very big but big enough for a decent race of about five people. Juliana watched the five young gentlemen currently whipping around it at a hair raising pace, with interest. She hadn’t seen a race as good as this in a couple of months since one of the last meets she had attended at home. Underneath her firm seat she could feel triumph pulling at his rein and shifting excitedly about on his light feet. Bending down low over him she whispered conspiringly in his ear.

“Looks like fun doesn’t it boy I bet we could beat them all though, but Frank won’t let us I should think. I thinks I’m just a timid female rider but we’ll show him won’t we boy, with out his permission though unfortunately. There is no point in even asking because he will say n, I know it.”

“What are you telling that horse Juliana?” Frank asked her curiously, sideling his horse next to hers startling her with his closeness.

“Nothing.” She replied sitting back up with a start and smiling innocently at him. He frowned slightly but didn’t question her further.

“Frank!” an unknown male voice called at them. Both Frank and Juliana turned to look at the man who was calling him. Juliana didn’t recognise him but Frank’s face lit up and he called back.

“Cameron! It’s good to see you old friend where have you been? Let me introduce you to Miss…” Frank turned to Juliana to introduce her to his childhood friend but she was gone. Cameron chuckled deeply now sat next to Frank on his own horse.

“Your foxy haired lady friend? She rode of to the race track the moment you turned your back Francois.” Frank looked in the direction his friend was pointing and sure enough Juliana and Triumph were now stood in the midst of the five young racers, laughing merrily.

“Juliana!” he shouted to her. If Juliana had heard him she showed no recognition of it, in fact she turned away from him and the small group of riders and lined up next to the winner of the race ready to start riding against him. Frank paled. She wasn’t going to race him was she? Did she know how dangerous racing was and on a horse as unruly as Triumph? Why had he let her ride him? Frank whipped Orion into action and the horse started off at a gallop towards her. Cameron followed him at a more sedate pace on his pretty bay that contrasted his masters dark features most excellently, chuckling to himself. By the time Frank had reached the track Juliana was riding into the distant curve of the racecourse a good five strides ahead of the previous winner, or so the riders looking on through gilt glasses exclaimed. He stopped and stared after her in dismay. If she hurt herself he would never forgive himself. He silently vowed to never let her ride again. What had happen to his sensible Juliana? Cameron reined his horse in at his side.

“She’s a cracker François; where did you find her? And I’m surprised to see you so openly with another woman. What happened to Rebecca? It appears I have a lot of catching up to do after my trip to France.”

“So that’s where you have been hiding. I have told you time and time again to give up the tables no good will come of it…”

“Don’t I know it…?” Cameron muttered mysterious. “Continue friend continue.”

“That firecracker will be the death of me, she is my charge, Miss Juliana Lucas and she insisted we went riding today but I did not expect this to happen. She is usually so sensible and proper. And I’m afraid Rebecca has died. And I know what you’re thinking Juliana is rather young for me and it rather soon but she is not that much younger than us because she was meant to be my father’s charge but he had died.”

“And you just throw all this into casual convocation. I’m sorry about Rebecca and of course the baby, but we both know you never really cared for her. And how come you never told me about this charge before. I would be very interested in meeting her.”

“Precisely, I know what you are like…”

“What I am like you were always the worst when it came to women, not as bad as jonnie but bad none the less!”

“But I am married, was married and she is my charge it would be wholly inappropriate. Also you know I hate to talk business when I’m with you lot.”

“Oh I suppose so!” Cameron agreed dejectedly. “Look here she comes. Oh I say she won!”

“I won Frank! I won!” she cried as she drew nearer to them. Juliana pulled up next to the two gentlemen flushed and breathless, her eyes shining in excitement. Frank smiled at her softly all his reproof he had planned for her disappearing. He loved his side of Juliana, one she only ever seemed to show to him; the one who ran on the stairs and snuck around in the middle of the night, blushed at the slightest thing and apparently loved to ride. “Oh excuse me.” She said suddenly noticing Cameron at Frank side and blushing once more. Frank chuckled at the blushed well timed appearance. “You aren’t angry with me are you Frank?” she asked reminding him of the first time that they had met and she had suggested they talk about the weather.

“No Juliana, now let me introduce my close friend Lord Cameron -, Cameron met Miss Lucas.” Juliana murmured her greeting to him and held out her gloved hand.

“A pleasure Mademoiselle Lucas,” he replied bowing as low over it as he could while still seated on his horse.

“Thank you Lord Cameron, I may call you that may I not if you are such a good friend to Lord Carlyle, Frank I mean.”

“Of course you may. We, I and Frank that is, played together as children so any friend of Frank’s is a friend of mine, especially one as beautiful as you are Môn Cherie.”

“Cameron, leave her alone. Ignore him Juliana he thinks he is being charming when he speaks French, when in fact he is just annoying. Leave your French in France where it belongs Môn Amie.”

“You are just jealous of my dashing French looks. My mother was French Mademoiselle to explain all this French rambling and I take strongly after her side of the family in fact I have just been to France to visit them.”

“How fascinating, I myself have never left the country.”

“You must persuade François to take you one day.”

“I will,” Frank interceded. Juliana and Cameron smiled at him.

“Really? You would take me abroad? Where?” She asked excitedly.

“Well, it’s up to you if you want to go somewhere I can arrange it, but first you should get use to London. I mean you have just arrived here!”

“Just arrived! Well why didn’t you say so before? We need to show this girl the ropes. Has she met the others yet?” Cameron asked jovially. “Well I’ll see you tomorrow morning to arrange something.” And with that he rode away.

 

“Others?” Juliana asked curiously.

“Yes, all though I’m a very social person I have very few close friends Cameron is one of them. The others are Jonathan Butler, Duke of Ormonde and Ellis Dexter, Earl of -. I grew up with Cameron and we met the other two when we began gallivanting the city, to put it politely. It’s getting late perhaps we should be heading home now, besides we are going to Madame Laqué’s this afternoon for you’re final fitting for the ball tomorrow night.”

“You’re right.” They rode out of the park and back into town to Frank’s home.



© 2009 Jules


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oooh! a ball tomarrow night! im excited xD good chapter, jules :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 7, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules