Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Leah Elisabeth

Chapter 3
They walked out the door, after about half an hour of careful planning. They knew Moonstone would find them sooner or later. They set off toward the temple, knowing it was a gesture that The Nameless One could not miss. He would not ignore it.
Suddenly a cold wind whipped through the trees, and a darkness they could not fathom whirled around them. It surrounded them like a thick blanket, but it did not warm. It filled them with a chill so deep, it seemed they would never be warm again. Then it dissipated and they found themselves in the presence of Moonstone.
“I found you at last. You foolish people, out walking, so soon after your little escapade. NOW I WILL OWN YOUR LIVES! Ha.” She laughed maniacally. They stood in her presence, speechless from terror. Samara seemed to draw on some inner strength that could only have come from El. She stepped forward.
“Moonstone, hear the message of El. All is forgiven.  Love can be returned. He loves you Moonstone. Though you have betrayed him for another.”
Moonstone deflated, she looked at Samara incredulously. “What? Me? He will forgive me? You aren’t just making fun of me are you? You couldn’t believe how many times I have felt like ditching The Nameless One for good, because I knew El could love me more then The Nameless One ever will. I was afraid that he would never love or accept me.” And she cried. Micaela’s heart was filled with compassion. She rushed forward to comfort her.
“All you have to do is tell him you’re sorry. Ask for his forgiveness, and admit you have sinned. He will forgive you.” She said quietly.
Moonstone looked at her, bowed her head and sobbed uncontrollably. Through her tears they could hear these words.
“El, forgive me. I have sinned. Awfully, horribly, sinned. I renounce The Nameless One, and all the life I have lived in his captivity.” She stood up and looked at them. Her facade was gone, and she stood before them broken. Only twelve, but the eyes that looked out from her face had seen much, and they had known much sorrow. They saw the person she had been struggling to be for many years. The person that The Nameless One had tried to destroy. The call of power and fame had taken its toll on her, but what once was cracked and broken was now being fused and polished so it could reflect the hand of the master.
“Thank you for helping me get away from this living nightmare that I thought was right. Let’s go. I do not want to stay here any longer.” She whispered softly.
Grant was thinking in the corner of the room. “I wonder if there is some way we can destroy the people’s faith in the power of The Nameless One. Perhaps some kind of contest. I don’t know what it could be, but I’m sure there is a way we can show him up. I’ll have to think about this a little more.” he said slowly.
“Pray about it, darling. If El wants this to happen, I’m sure it will.” Micaela stepped back as she said this.
“No! Don’t!” Moonstone shouted, but it was too late. Micaela had stepped on the seeing eye! They held their breath. Into the room swirled the darkness of the spirits that were an extension of The Nameless One himself. The room exploded in a white light, and everyone fell in a dead faint. Moonstone alone was left standing. The largest spectre stretched his hand toward them and spoke black words in a black voice. They were transported instantly to the dungeon below the temple.        
Moonstone stood there, her body shaking. “El, help me.” She whispered through stiff lips, and a mouth that had gone dry with fear.
The Nameless One came. He struck her with his power. She sank to the floor in pain.
“El, El. Save me.” She whispered soundlessly as tears ran down her face. The Nameless One made his anger known. She knew death was calling her to forget her pain, and sleep forever. The mists of unconsciousness surrounded her and waited, and somewhere behind them death lurked. He moved her to the darkness of the dungeon, where she would die, slowly and painfully. The Nameless One was already making the arrangements for a new priestess. He sent his spirits to the land of Qintar, for someone more powerful then ever before. Her name was Freyja. Her soul was her own no longer. Her body was filled with the dark power of The Nameless One, and she could never turn away from him, and she would not rest until The Nameless One had conquered all.
><><><
Micaela came to slowly. In the dim light she saw rough stone walls, and an uneven floor. The bones of those who had been there before were scattered and broken on the ground. She drew in her breath sharply as she saw the bodies of her companions lying still, all around her. She saw the face of Grant beside her.
“Grant. Wake up, please. Speak to me. Wake up. Can you hear me? Oh please wake up. I need you.” She sobbed. Grant did not stir. He was barely breathing, and it rasped in his throat. Wounds opened all over his body and began to bleed. His face was dusky red and feverish. His eyes were open, and they stared glassily into space. As Micaela watched, his breathing grew fainter and shallower. He jerked in her arms, and screamed in agony. Tears tried to trickle down his face, but they sizzled and evaporated on the heat of his skin. He tried to form one word on his tongue. “El.” He whispered hoarsely. He fought for every breath.
“El, please help him, heal him. Don’t let The Nameless One do this to him. Shield him, from death. Please. I can’t live without him.” She looked down at Grant, and her heart was pierced with a longing to ease his pain. His breathing ceased completely, and Micaela searched frantically for a heartbeat, a pulse, anything that would give her a reason to hope. Then she heard an almost imperceptible breath. His skin cooled, and he relaxed. He looked at her, and she knew El had healed him.
“My love.” He said hoarsely. “I have just had a terrible dream. The Nameless One was dragging me down, down to the place where all is burning pain and loneliness. El was there and they fought. They fought over whether I would live or die, and who would receive my soul. I wanted to help El, but I was so weak. Then as they fought, they fell into the heart of the burning darkness. I felt that I was there in that middle ground forever. It almost seemed that The Nameless One had the upper hand, for I could feel myself being drawn ever closer to the place that would be the place I didn’t want to go. But El won and he took me away from there. He sent me back to this place, and gave me strength for what we still must face.” He fell back, too weak to go on.
“I don’t know what I would have done without you, Grant. Life would feel so empty.” She kissed him again. Her love showing through her eyes.
They heard a low moan from the corner. They looked over and saw it was Moonstone! Micaela let Grant down slowly, then rushed over to where she lay in the corner. “Moonstone, what’s wrong?” she cried.
“The Nameless One came to me.  He was so angry. I am dying, but El has saved me, and I will live with him. Instead of loneliness, he has given me love. He has given me beauty for my ashes. I am not afraid of death, he has taken that fear away, and now I can die with a clear conscience. Love has covered all. He is coming to . . . take . . . me . . . home.”She closed her eyes and was gone from this world, but now knew love in the next. She knew the love that endures forever.
They heard a sniffling sound behind them. Turning around, they saw Aida with tears in his eyes. He had barely known her, but already was beginning to like her. He was crying for the life that ended so prematurely.
“Goodbye Moonstone.” he sobbed, and a hatred began to grow in his heart for The Nameless One. He hoped to, somehow, get his revenge.



© 2008 Leah Elisabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on December 28, 2008


Author

Leah Elisabeth
Leah Elisabeth

About
I am a young woman who keenly enjoys the beauty of a well-turned phrase. I believe that life without the spoken or the written word would be very empty indeed. My life is filled with song and story .. more..

Writing
Minion Minion

A Story by Leah Elisabeth


Lazarus Lazarus

A Story by Leah Elisabeth