Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Leah Elisabeth

    Jeremy lay on the cold dungeon floor.  The pain was gone, leaving him weak.  He almost wished it was still there, numbing his mind and making him forget.  He was alone with his thoughts and fears.  He feared for his wife; he feared for his child.  Would he ever see them again?  Would he ever hold his baby in his arms.  Would he ever feel his wife’s caress.  HE wondered what was happening in the outside world during his days. . .perhaps weeks, since his capture.
    His eyes strained to see something in the pitch blackness of his# cell.  It was futile.  Even if he could see, he would only have seen the endless rock walls of the enclosure.  He closed his eyes in defeat.  He wondered why he was still alive.  Surely he had no value to the Nameless One.  It must be that El still had a purpose for him.
 “El, I don’t understand.  What life is there for me, imprisoned as I am?  Tell me what you want of me.  I will follow your will; only tell me what it is,” he whispered into the dead darkness.      
A small voice spoke.  “You must fight,“ it whispered, bringing the darkness alive.
    “How can I fight?  I lie here chained.  What good could I do?“ Again Jeremy whispered.
    “The chains are for good.  You are not to be put on the forefront, physically fighting the powers of the darkness.  You are my intercessor.  You wish to protect your family, so intercede on their behalf.  We shall win, chains and all."
    Jeremy took heart.  “Yes,” he spoke to the living darkness.  He began to talk with
 El.  For the first time since he had been imprisoned, he knew the bright light of hope glowing in his heart.  All worries were gone, replaced with a peace that defied all his understanding.  He knew and could believe that this battle would be won.  He did not know its cost, but he would still fight to whatever end.
    “But please, let me see my wife again.  Let me hold my son just once."  Even as he prayed, he was given an assurance that things would end up for his good.  “Then I will be satisfied with anything,” he said.  All that night, he fought.  He did not sleep.  Every fibre of his being poured into this battle that must be won.  The power of the Nameless One was strong, but Jeremy felt his prayers begin to dent the armour that surrounded his evil.  He wove a protective net around those who fought outside.  The Nameless One sensed nothing of his fight.  He could not have defended against it if he tried.
    El planned his big move; the move that would rid the world of its present darkness.  He planned the people‘s deliverance.
><><>< 
     Samara crept from Zoe’s house.  She looked in on her older brother, sleeping dreamlessly, and thanked El that his face was relaxed, unmarred by nightmarish remembering.  Every person slept like the dead, but they would not have heard Samara even if they had been awake. She crept away as silently# as a shadow; stopping at the cupboards to pull out a small jar.  She disappeared into the leaving no trail for someone to follow her by.  She knew that she would not get lost.  Ell’s presence guided her and carefully, she followed.
 ><><>< 
     “Samara, it’s time to get up.  The morning is half gone!“  Zoe said as she walked into her living room.  They had kept strictly to the kitchen that morning, knowing Samara was tired.  She turned toward the couch.  It# was made carefully.  Anyone could see it had not been slept in all night.
    “What am I going to tell Aidan and Copper?” Zoe cried inwardly, worried sick.
 ><><><   
     Samara crept through the trees.  She was close to the temple and so she was quiet.  She crept into a cave.  She knew that the body of El lay inside.  She walked softly to the body.  She cried at the blood that covered his face.  Tears spattered on his cheeks.  She wiped at them with her sleeve, cleaning away the drops of blood as best she could.  She took the little jar of oil she had taken from Zoe‘s cupboards and# anointed him with it.  She kissed his cheek then covered his face with her shawl.  Her tears still flowed.  She lay down a little way from where his body rested.  She listened for a long time, then fell a asleep with a triumphant smile on her face, and the word victory on her lips.
><><>< 
      “Aidan, Samara is gone.  I have looked everywhere for her.  What are we going to do?  What is your mother going to say?” 
    Aidan sat up.  His eyes no longer clouded by sleep.  “We are to leave this home.  It is no longer safe for us here.  Tell Bryn and Yan to get ready.  We leave as soon as possible.”  Aidan spoke with command.
    “But your sister!” Zoe cried, frantic with worry.
    “She has gone to prepare for the resurrection”  Aidan spoke cryptically.  Zoe could not seem to form an argument.
    They left as soon as they were ready.  They brought nothing with them but the clothes on their backs. And what food they could carry easily.  Aidan did not look back.  They walked until they reached a cave.  Aidan motioned for Bryn to walk in first.  She came back out quickly.
    “There is a body in there,” she whispered.  “Your sister lies there too, Aidan.  Should we try to find another cave?  Yan, you could carry Samara.“
    “No,“ Aidan said softly.  This is how it is meant to be.  That is the man who sacrificed himself for me.  El has told me we are to share his resting place.  We are truly safe here under the shadow of El’s wings.”
     Zoe walked in on faith.  “If El says we will be safe, then we will be.”
    Yan bravely followed her in.  Bryn came next, looking rather apprehensive.  Aidan walked in and sat by the entrance.
    “Samara has the right idea,” Zoe said.  “There is nothing we can do now but sleep.”
    Aidan sat up on watch for a while, but he knew that El would keep his promise and keep them safe.  Soon he dropped off.
    Samara woke slowly.  She saw the figures that slept next to her, but she was not afraid.  El had told her they would be coming.  She stepped over the sleeping bodies# toward the mouth of the cave.  She lay beside her brother, willing him to wake up, as she had to speak to someone
    Aidan jumped a little in his sleep.  He turned over and was startled to see his sister.s intent gaze so near his face.
    “I am glad you came,” Samara said.  “It is nice to know that I am not alone.  I wouldn’t have been alone anyway, but it is good to see your ugly face.”
    “Ugly?!! Have you looked in the mirror lately, little sister?” Aidan laughed quietly.
    Samara smiled.  “When this is over, I will be glad to get back to our slightly interrupted sibling rivalry.”
    “I look forward to it.”  Aidan laughed again.
    Samara smiled mischievously, but then her face became serious.  “I am glad you are here for me, big brother.”
    “I love you too, but can I please get some sleep?” Aidan complained.
    Samara smiled in answer and lay down again.  She did not close her eyes.
    “And don’t look at me,” Aidan griped.  “I can feel your eyes in my sleep.”  He turned over and was asleep in moments.  Samara could not sleep.  She moved away from her brother and sat along the wall.  She was still afraid.  She was very young, only twelve, but she fought alongside Jeremy and other sleepless people as long as she could keep her eyes open.



© 2009 Leah Elisabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on September 13, 2009


Author

Leah Elisabeth
Leah Elisabeth

About
I am a young woman who keenly enjoys the beauty of a well-turned phrase. I believe that life without the spoken or the written word would be very empty indeed. My life is filled with song and story .. more..

Writing
Minion Minion

A Story by Leah Elisabeth


Lazarus Lazarus

A Story by Leah Elisabeth