Sacrifice

Sacrifice

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell
"

Alena is preparing for her sacrifice to the gods.

"

Chapter One

“Alena?” My sister, Bryn, asked.

“Bryn!” I smiled excitedly. I was stuck in the Priest’s house waiting for the day I would be sacrificed.

“You’re beauty was your downfall.” Bryn whispered moving to hold me.

“I’m okay Bryn.” I promised her, “Who’s to say that the death the gods have me in for is actually death?”

“What are you saying Alena?” She asked holding onto me.

“You are my little sister, Bryn. You’ll understand one day though that when the priest thinks death is what somebody needs sometimes the gods have different ideas.”

“You think the gods will save you?” She questioned.

“I believe that you can’t put the gods will into words.” I explained, “I believe that the gods get angry and that they are punishing. I believe that they don’t care about what we have planned. I will do what they will though. I will walk by myself to the table and then I will stay still while they chain me and then I will lay there until the gods take me in whatever way they have planned.”

“You can’t just go, though. Won’t you take the drink that the priest will offer?”

“No.” I shook my head, “I’ll go by my own feet. It could be the last time I get to walk.”

“I love you, Alena.” She whispered as the priest walked in.

“Are you ready, Chosen One?” Priest asked. I nodded slowly and stood up walking into his wife’s room so that she could help me dress.

“Are you sure you will not drink?” She asked and I swallowed knowing that it was almost time for me to die. I refused drink again though and so she walked out with me.

“Do you wish to sit?” Priest asked but I shook my head.

“I’ll walk.”

“I can’t allow you to get your dress dirty. It will make you unworthy for the gods.” It was not common knowledge that Priest had no idea what the gods wanted me for or which god it was that was forcing nature to work against us.

“May I walk if we pin my dress up?”

“No.” He shook his head, “You can sit or stand on the gold podium while others carry it.” I nodded slowly and sat down on the gold board with a chair attached.

“Alena…” Mom’s tears could be heard behind me but I was not allowed to look back. I had not seen Mom since her marriage had been annulled to my father, the king. I knew I would not see her again.

I listened to my parents cry as the chains went around me but I did not hear Bryn’s tears and I could not help but feel relief in the fact that Dad had not let her come. “I love you, Alena.” Dad promised moving up to me when it was just us two and the priest.

“Love you too, Dad. Let Bryn know that I’m okay and please let Mom know that I’ve always loved her.” I whispered and then I was left alone. I got thirsty first and then hungry and then I was scared. As I got scared the storms started and it got pitch black. I was curious as to why no animal had come to get me yet but soon I felt something pick me up and instead of feeling like an animal it felt human. “Who’s there?” I managed to ask through my fear and tiredness.

“We’ll get to know each other later my bride.” The voice said and I felt myself tense as I realized that one of the gods were holding me. “It is okay. One day you shall be a goddess… my goddess.” He promised sitting me down in an even bigger bed than the one I had had before he’d chosen me and made me leave home. I stopped my thoughts there though knowing that the gods could read your mind. “I will leave you to rest.” He whispered after a few seconds and I could not help but notice that his voice was kinder than I’d have expected. He did not sound punishing at all.



© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell