Green Tea

Green Tea

A Chapter by Meghna Singh
"

Its origin, its essence and health benefits.

"

I for one kick start my day with a loving cup of Green Tea infused with a couple of holy basil leaves. It is just enough for me to break away from a good night’s sleep and take head on the daily chores.

 

Tea popularly known as ‘Cha’ in many parts of India and China where it was first discovered more than 3000 years ago, is second only to water as the world's most popular beverage. Interesting to know that ages ago tea was chewed and not drunk!

 

The history of green-tea dates back to 8th Century in China. From then-on this type of tea spread far & wide across continents through centuries and generations.

 

Green tea is more than just a tea. It has been used for medicinal purposes and health reasons for thousands of years in China and Japan. Green tea extract is approximately twice more antioxidant-active than Vitamin C.

 

One of the reasons why these two nations maintain statistically lower cancer rates is the daily consumption of green tea, there are many studies which substantiate it.

 

The four main varieties of tea i.e. Green, Oolong, Black, and White come from the same plant, “Camellia sinensis”. They own their differences mainly to variations in processing of the dried leaves and buds.

 

So, fermenting wilted leaves before final drying produces Black Tea. Partial fermentation before final drying results in Oolong Tea. Steamed or fried, new tea leaves and buds to lock oxidation before drying produces White Tea. Green tea leaves are wilted before drying & Green tea powders are made from crushed whole leaves that include the veins and stems.

 

Newer leaves render the sweetness and use of older leaves makes the Tea bitterer in taste. Plucking of newer leaves is thus preferred for making the correct blend of Green Tea.

 

To the Tea lovers, please know that not all Green Tea Powders is Matcha Tea. Matcha Tea is and can only be associated with green tea especially cultivated, harvested and powdered using indigenous techniques in Japan. We shall extensively talk about Matcha Tea and its goodness in another article.

But for now most of the Green Tea Powders and not Matcha, are made by either whole green tea leaf or a variety of tea leaves mixed together. 

 

Green Tea Powder contains multiple Bioactive Compounds namely Flavonoids, Catechin, Epigallocatechin, some powerful antioxidants. These nutrients are said to counter the growth of free radicals which lead to aging and other diseases like Cancer. It is said to reduce risk of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular problems, Obesity, Osteoporosis.

 

There are studies that prove that consumption of Green tea improves immune system, removes bad breath & improves dental health, helps to detoxify, results in weight reduction, lower down bad cholesterol and maintains normal blood pressure.

 

The incredible benefits of Green Tea Powder (green tea) has allowed it to be incorporated into the beauty business with many beauty brands using green tea extracts in crème, lotions, soaps, shampoos etc.

Green Tea powder has now found its way into the health & food market as well where versions of green tea infused Health Drinks and other aromatic Green Tea food recipes such as green tea desserts, breads, salads etc. are available for all health enthusiasts to try.

 

Are you ready to throw away all inhibitions and doubts and grab a pack of Green Tea Powder, today? That is the question.



© 2015 Meghna Singh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on October 1, 2015
Last Updated on October 1, 2015


Author

Meghna Singh
Meghna Singh

Delhi, NCR, India



About
I am a freelance writer. I want to venture into the literati world and showcase my writing skills. Looking for lots of encouragement and appreciation. I believe in simple writing with a pinch of sati.. more..

Writing
Matcha Tea Matcha Tea

A Chapter by Meghna Singh


Acai Berries Acai Berries

A Chapter by Meghna Singh