Matcha Tea

Matcha Tea

A Chapter by Meghna Singh
"

Matcha Tea its origin and its immense healing powers

"

After hearing and reading about Matcha Tea so many times I got the opportunity to actually drink it. I must admit that whatever doubts I had, they were rendered false. Being an ardent Tea Lover, I have to say this that I have fallen in love with Tea all over again. And it is none other than Japan’s Matcha Tea that I have fallen in love with.

This is obviously not your regular tea that you drink on daily basis but its preparation is very different and unique. Before divulging how Matcha Tea is to be consumed, I have to share its rich historical connect and the laborious ordeal required to prepare the Matcha Tea Powder.

For those who do not know, Matcha Tea is only available in powdered forms and that real Matcha only comes from Japan.

Although Matcha Tea and the way it is drunk, gets its origin from China, the real Matcha Tea culture is prevalent only in Japan. Matcha and its preparation was introduced to Japan by a Chinese Buddhist Monk- Eisai, somewhere in the 12th Century.

 

Matcha Tea preparation, finds its deep roots in the traditional Japanese Tea ceremonies (Chanoyu) or the ‘Way of Tea’ as popularly called. The art of performing the Matcha Tea preparation and then serving it to the gentry has deep spiritual and religious annotations, since it was traditionally consumed either by the Buddhist saints or was part of the high end rituals of the Kings and palaces.

The intricate and sophisticated Japanese tea ceremony demonstrates reverence & discipline through grace and good manners, which is taught in many Tea Schools in Japan, even today. This speaks volumes of Japan’s rich culture and its potential to thrive on it.

 

Matcha Tea is a finely grounded powder of processed tencha (hand-picked fresh buds/leaves are laid out to dry) leaves. Difference between conventional Green Tea and Matcha Tea is that it is grown in shelter, 3 weeks prior to harvesting. The veins and the stems are removed while processing the Tea leaves. This process is unique to Matcha only, resulting in increased chlorophyll levels and producing an Amino Acid (L-Theanine).

L-Theanine plays a major role in giving a soothing and a stimulating effect, simultaneously.

 

There are two forms or ways in which Matcha Tea is made i.e. Usucha and Koicha. Usucha is ‘thin tea’ which is normally served in cafes and restaurants. Koicha is ‘thick tea’, made using twice the quantity of the tea powder used to make Usucha. Mind you even the Matcha Tea powder quality varies for Usucha and Koicha (superior), they cannot be swapped.

 

Koicha is made by gently molding the tea powder using a bamboo whisk, with hot or cold water being poured into the tea bowl (chawan), and continuously working it to get a thick frothy texture. The taste of Matcha varies depending on the quality of the powder used. The age of the tencha tea leaves is the clue behind the taste and flavor of Matcha Tea Powder. So the younger and fresher the leaves used, sweeter is the Matcha Tea Powder, older leaves render various gradients of bitterness to the Matcha Tea Powder. 

 

I cannot conclude the article without mentioning the Health aspects of having Matcha Tea. Matcha Tea being green tea is definitely packed with lots of antioxidants and vitamins, and its comparative benefits are far more effective, since the whole Matcha Tea powder is consumed.

Of all Green Teas, Matcha Tea Powder is pricier because of how it is harvested and processed. Yet, no better way than, to start your day with Matcha Tea and get an energised body, rejuvenated & revitalized mind and a calm soul.

Isn’t it, what we aspire for?


© 2015 Meghna Singh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on October 1, 2015
Last Updated on October 1, 2015


Author

Meghna Singh
Meghna Singh

Delhi, NCR, India



About
I am a freelance writer. I want to venture into the literati world and showcase my writing skills. Looking for lots of encouragement and appreciation. I believe in simple writing with a pinch of sati.. more..

Writing
Green Tea Green Tea

A Chapter by Meghna Singh


Acai Berries Acai Berries

A Chapter by Meghna Singh